Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took ownership of a brand new 2021 Ascent Premium! Love it! I will be towing a very small and lightweight trailer with it. From all the suggestions I have read, I will probably buy & install the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller, but I do have a question: Does the 2021 Ascent Premium have a custom brake control wiring adapter in it? I did not get any kind of tow package with the vehicle, so I assume not, but before I order one, I want to make sure. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Get the OEM hitch. All the necessary rear-end wiring is included and everything else is pre-run. Your car will come with a plug near the drivers left foot to attach a brake controller. There ought to be a pigtail connector (maybe in the glovebox) that you can combine with the pigtail included with the brake controller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the OEM hitch. All the necessary rear-end wiring is included and everything else is pre-run. Your car will come with a plug near the drivers left foot to attach a brake controller. There ought to be a pigtail connector (maybe in the glovebox) that you can combine with the pigtail included with the brake controller.
So, do I have to buy the OEM Hitch from Subaru? Or can I purchase it elsewhere? (I just ordered a hitch from E-trailer...). And stupid me...is OEM a brand or an acronym for something?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
8 Posts
So, do I have to buy the OEM Hitch from Subaru? Or can I purchase it elsewhere? (I just ordered a hitch from E-trailer...). And stupid me...is OEM a brand or an acronym for something?
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer basically it means stock equipment

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's a subaru part that you can get from any dealer or online dealer. Look around for the best price. It should be a little less than 300 iirc.
Best thing you can do for yourself is cancel that etrailer order. Some of the aftermarket hitches are really bad and then you'll need to figure out the wiring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a subaru part that you can get from any dealer or online dealer. Look around for the best price. It should be a little less than 300 iirc.
Best thing you can do for yourself is cancel that etrailer order. Some of the aftermarket hitches are really bad and then you'll need to figure out the wiring.
Taking your advice! I have cancelled my order and now will search for a Subaru OEM Hitch. Thanks so much for all the help! This forum is so very helpful!

·
Registered
339 Posts
You won't regret it!

Part number for the hitch is L101SXC004
Part number for the ball mount is L101SXC401 though lots of people use a different one. Typically a 6 inch drop will work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Amazon has one although I have seen it cheaper elsewhere, I just can't remember where.
Yeah, cheaper elsewhere, but not so much when you have to figure in shipping cost. Amazon ships free if you are a Prime member. Gonna find all my options.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About the pigtail connector; there was not one in my glovebox. Nor in the cargo area or in the center console. Any other suggestions as to where I can find it or where I can get one? Part number? Should I call my Subaru dealer about it? Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
About the pigtail connector; there was not one in my glovebox. Nor in the cargo area or in the center console. Any other suggestions as to where I can find it or where I can get one? Part number? Should I call my Subaru dealer about it? Thanks!
It should be included with the hitch. Did you get that yet? If you don't want to splice together the two pigtails (the one from the car, the one from the controller) tekonsha sells some. I have the same controller as you and used this one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It should be included with the hitch. Did you get that yet? If you don't want to splice together the two pigtails (the one from the car, the one from the controller) tekonsha sells some. I have the same controller as you and used this one.
Oh, okay. Yes, there was one with the hitch. I thought that there was another one from the conversations I read. Thanks for the information. Will check the amazon link out! Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had the Subaruhitch installed yesterday. They gave me a pigtail connector.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts