Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this today. It looks like a fantastic solution to the jarring back and forth effect that you get while towing on rough uneven roads. I’m thinking of pre-ordering one through Amazon who is offering it for a decent price ($228 v.s $349 msrp). Has anyone else tried this unit out and can they report its effect on your towing? Rebellion XD Adjustable Cushion Hitch Ball Mount (2" Shank, 15,000 lbs.)

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Looks pretty neat. The Curt I have has a simple rubber bumper behind the sliding ball part. Works ok.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m currently using a Curt RockerBall and it reduces some of those jerky moments, however this looks much heavier duty. The only down side is that this hitch mount is considerably heavier than my standard mount with the RockerBall.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I’m currently using a Curt RockerBall and it reduces some of those jerky moments, however this looks much heavier duty. The only down side is that this hitch mount is considerably heavier than my standard mount with the RockerBall.
Have you tried a U-bolt stabilizer? I don't really have any jerky movements with mine and my adjustable drop hitch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I use a U bolt stabilizer. When we’re on the highway and smooth roads the Ascent pulls our Micro Minnie quite well. I had to play around with the proper hitch bar and ball to get the exact height that I needed to match the lift position of our trailer, which is much higher than most trailers due to the Adventurer package with 15” tires for off road clearance. I ended up using the 3/4” rise position on my tow bar, and mounted the Curt RockerBall which gave me a level position once hooked up to and putting load on the vehicle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You use the Curt #45900 I believe and tow that Heartland Edge which is heavier than my Winnebago, I’d consider that too if I knew it would be an improvement and it’d be much cheaper than the Rebellion mount.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
What ball mount do you currently use? The Curt I am using is half that price, and the one rubber bumper on it does well enough.

EDIT (your other posts just came up): Yes, the one I am using is very heavy.

One word of warning... if the ball position (on mine) is too high or too low, then the ball assembly is above or below the rubber bumper, and it will thus clank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m just using a standard Curt 2” drop/ 3/4” rise bar.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I can get one like yours on Amazon who has reduced them now to $109 which is half of the Rebellion model.
I still sometimes get clunk at where the ball mount goes into the hitch's receiver, even with the U-bracket. Some things clunk around a lot in there, like my tow hook.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
I can get one like yours on Amazon who has reduced them now to $109 which is half of the Rebellion model.
While you’re waiting for your order search the curt part number and check various sites. I got mine for under $100 doing just that, then googling coupon codes for each site I found it on till I found the best price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I talked to e-trailer about this hitch. I tow a boat at just under 3,000 lbs. He said this hitch is really designed for a much heavier load to work effectively (note its tow capacity of 15,000 lbs.). He recommended the
Convert-A-Ball Dual-Cushioned, Adjustable Ball Mount for my task, and I've been very happy as it has a cushion in both the horizontal and vertical planes. I think it was around $140. It made a very big difference in hauling my boat as it does absorb shocks both in starting and stopping, but also going over bumps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts