Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I'm a believer"....

So today I was aiming to make a run to Goodwill and then to Costco. I opened the rear lift gate from the fob and quickly loaded 4 boxes of junk. Closed the gate. Unlocked the doors, hopped in the front seat, went to push to start......and nothing but clicks. Tried again, nothing but clicks. Not wanting to mess with things too much, I opened the gate from the dash button. Threw the boxes into the Impreza and closed the lift gate from the fob. For kicks, I popped the hood and slapped a volt meter on the battery and it read 11.2V. Low, sure, but no start?

Anyway, instead of jumping it to get started, I am letting it sit for a day while I read the instructions on how to use the portable jump starter. I will take another reading of the battery before I do it as well. We shall see if it is the battery, parasitic drain, or the starter. Either way, I will be contacting the dealer for an appointment to get the situation logged and perhaps run the PRG test per the TSB. I only have a few months left under warranty.

Some background: It has been sitting for ~4 days without being driven, outside, where temps are in the low 40s. I sometimes go a week+ without driving it so 4 days should be no big deal. It is a 2019MY that I have had for 30+months now. I have had the thing sit for more than a week with the fob inside it while on vacation, too and start no problem. There are under 19K miles on the thing.

No need to reply and rehash things that have been discussed in similar threads. Just sharing another data point. Will post more tomorrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to hear. I’m in a similar situation. Battery died two weeks ago then again this week. Jump started and drove for a while and wouldn’t start again the next day. Took to dealer today and they didn’t find any parasitic drain but claim another battery with a bad cell (same thing happens last year 3 months after purchasing). So kinda annoyed at the whole battery deal. Granted it has been in the low 40s / 30s and it did sit for a week. But still expect more from any car (I mean what do you do if you go away for a vacation?). Still love the car - just not the crappy battery. Third strike and I’ll upgrade the battery. Just don’t feel I should need to do that on a new car.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If upgrading to a aftermarket battery I would contact SOA for a refund ,most members on here have been successful .

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
A few questions... have you ever had amplifier issues, and have you had the rear liftgate not respond properly? I regularly leave mine for weeks at a time, nowadays. It may just be your battery, but, it would be good to rule out other issues so you don't kill another battery.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few questions... have you ever had amplifier issues, and have you had the rear liftgate not respond properly? I regularly leave mine for weeks at a time, nowadays. It may just be your battery, but, it would be good to rule out other issues so you don't kill another battery.
No issues with amp or gate. Just pulled the portable charger and it was completely drained after sitting for 2+ years. So after it charges, I will give it a jump in a few hours.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
Took delivery 5/1/20 and just broke 1000 miles. Due to pandemic, the Accent sits in the garage for a week or two between uses. Periodically, I check the battery and have never seen it more than 12.1v. It always starts but these OEM batteries are just weak. My daily driver gets dozens of short drives per week, also has a group 35 battery (Bosch, 2 years old) and it always reads 12.6v, right where it should.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after waiting 6 hours for the portable jump starter to fully charge, I decided to give it a whirl. I first went to try to start the Ascent, no dice. Reading on the battery was 10.9V (down 0.3V from yesterday). Hooked up the jump starter and it started no problem. Drove it for a good 30-45mins. Came home, shut it off, battery read 11.9V. Will monitor, but I think a new battery is in my future.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Well, after waiting 6 hours for the portable jump starter to fully charge, I decided to give it a whirl. I first went to try to start the Ascent, no dice. Reading on the battery was 10.9V (down 0.3V from yesterday). Hooked up the jump starter and it started no problem. Drove it for a good 30-45mins. Came home, shut it off, battery read 11.9V. Will monitor, but I think a new battery is in my future.
With how low it went, I'd be surprised if there wasn't cell damage. My expectation is it won't hold a charge for long periods. Even if you get it fully recharged, I'd be surprised if it held the charge for more than a day or three. :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of these issues with batteries makes me want to pre-emptively change the battery out. $300 for peace of mind
I ordered a replacement battery last night, from Autozone, the Odyssey 35-PC1400T. If I get reimbursed from Subaru, all the better. During my recharge drive, I called a friend to pass the time and he had battery issues with his WRX a few years back. Car was only like 2 years old. One day it wouldn't start, 2 days later it needed replaced.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With how low it went, I'd be surprised if there wasn't cell damage. My expectation is it won't hold a charge for long periods. Even if you get it fully recharged, I'd be surprised if it held the charge for more than a day or three. :(
Well, you lost the bet. Today I got my cancellation order from AutoZone on the battery. So before I scoured the interwebs for another supplier, I thought I'd try to start the Ascent. Sure enough, started just fine for the 6minute roundtrip quick errand. Battery read 11.9V after the trip. I think I will still search for the battery, even though it has been discontinued. At least now there is not an urgent need.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Well, you lost the bet. Today I got my cancellation order from AutoZone on the battery. So before I scoured the interwebs for another supplier, I thought I'd try to start the Ascent. Sure enough, started just fine for the 6minute roundtrip quick errand. Battery read 11.9V after the trip. I think I will still search for the battery, even though it has been discontinued. At least now there is not an urgent need.
That's the sign of a dead battery. It shouldn't read 11.9v. You've not been able to get it to even 50%

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the sign of a dead battery. It shouldn't read 11.9v. You've not been able to get it to even 50%
Hey, man. You said 3 days...it survived 3 days. I win. Granted it probably won't start this weekend, but that is beside the point. Come Saturday, I'll lose. ;).

I just wonder if I should hunt for the 35-1400T, or just go with the ODP-AGM35. AutoAnything claims the 1400T can be delivered in about 3 weeks. AutoZone can get me the ODP in under a week. Can't find the 1400T "in stock" anywhere else online, but I just realized it may also go by ODX-AGM35......hmmm

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it survived even longer. I went to start today after a week of sitting and the major snow event and cold. I was fully expecting a dead battery. I went to push to start and it struggled but eventually started, no clicks. I took it for a quick drop-off errand and came back to a 12.0V reading, the highest I have measured.

Which brings me to my battery ordeal. I am still replacing it anyway in the next hour or so. I ended up with 2 batteries, both of which I don't think I should have gotten. The first was from AutoZone. I ordered, 3days later they sent me email saying it was cancelled. I web chat asking for tracking as the status showed shipped. They said it was cancelled on their end and that they can't get it. I said no problem. Later I order from CARiD on 2/10. They delay the order a day saying the battery does not fit the Ascent. I said ship it anyway. Was supposed to ship 2/10, then 2/12. Weekend comes and goes without an update. I decide to cancel the CARiD order on 2/16 and just go get an Optima Red locally. Then I get a shipping notification from AZ showing it is out for delivery. Then later I get a shipping notification from CARiD after I got the order cancellation email. CARiD battery shows up today, a day after the AZ battery. So anyways, call AZ as they messed up first, and returned it locally and about to install the CARiD one. You'd think with real-time supply chain analytics and such, companies would know status of their orders, but I digress.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Battery change is pretty straight forward. Probably spent more time retrieving the dropped terminal caps than doing the swap. Started right up and went for a test drive. The only thing I notice is that my alternate set of TPMS sensors no longer seem to be registered to the vehicle. Maybe a trip to @Discount Tire can fix that since the wheels can be balanced checked anyways or maybe it is time for my own TPMS programmer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.