Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another member posted the following in another discussion, which I'm experiencing, but he didn't get any helpful replies. Any ideas before I address w/ dealer?

"So, I've noticed that, when inflated maybe >75%, the lumbar support feels "crunchy" when sitting against it with any force / movement. It doesn't feel broken, just maybe that the lumbar diaphragm doesn't maintain it's form when inflated. Anyone else notice this?"

Lastly, PRAISE: did a 2000 mi road trip 2 weeks after purchase and I can happily say this is the first car I've owned that doesn't hurt my back/knees or leave me feeling exhausted on 5+ hour drives. I literally sold my 2018 Tacoma because I had to sit on a pillow and stuff towels under my knees to avoid screaming pain (my back and knees aren't the best, obviously). I felt well supported the whole trip!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
811 Posts
Another member posted the following in another discussion, which I'm experiencing, but he didn't get any helpful replies. Any ideas before I address w/ dealer?

"So, I've noticed that, when inflated maybe >75%, the lumbar support feels "crunchy" when sitting against it with any force / movement. It doesn't feel broken, just maybe that the lumbar diaphragm doesn't maintain it's form when inflated. Anyone else notice this?"

Lastly, PRAISE: did a 2000 mi road trip 2 weeks after purchase and I can happily say this is the first car I've owned that doesn't hurt my back/knees or leave me feeling exhausted on 5+ hour drives. I literally sold my 2018 Tacoma because I had to sit on a pillow and stuff towels under my knees to avoid screaming pain (my back and knees aren't the best, obviously). I felt well supported the whole trip!
I just checked the lumbar support on my limited with leatherish interior and it maintained it's shape and firmness at all of the firmness levels I tried.

When pushing back against the seat back and changing the amount of pressure against it the material makes a leathery kind of crunchy noise but the lumbar support felt the same to me. I weigh about 175 lbs and keep the lumber at 70-80%.

Can't hurt to have your service Dept take a look.

I second your praise for the comfort level of these seats, my spine is toast but I'm always comfortable in the Accent.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've found a good enough solution until my 6th month servicing, and maybe I won't even mention it. I gave the seat a good massaging, especially in the seat back cushion crevices where the center cushion meets the sides cushions. This quieted the seat down quite a bit to a reasonable level.

On other, cheaper cars, it seems like there's a roller lumbar mechanism, but this seat seems to inflate including the sides. I think the leather just gets a bit stretched and out of form. Hope it continues to work!

Glad to hear you're comfortable as well, Gary. I'm able to get my hips and knees almost level, whereas in a lot of other cars I'm basically sitting squatty potty and it's awful. I guess everyone responds differently -- I'm sure some find these seats uncomfortable. People love Tacomas but I couldn't wait to get rid of it -- longer trips were hell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts