Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use cruise control without active system?
Also can you adjust speed one mile an hour instead of five?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hello!

YES! to both questions.
Can you use cruise control without active system? I think you mean use standard CC without the adaptive portion. Press and hold either of the following distance buttons on the steering wheel. This will enable standard CC without adaptive features (meaning it will follow the set speed regardless of obstacles).
Also can you adjust speed one mile an hour instead of five? Press and hold the +/- to increase or decrease at 1mph increments.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes you can use cruise without the adaptive mode. I asked my concierge. I cannot remember the exact steps but it is in the manual also.

To make 1+ mph adjustments, you just HOLD up/down the toggle switch to adjust your speed. Not as convenient as the 1 mph toggle used to be because you actually have to watch the display to adjust any amount. But it is possible.
Hitting the toggle switch moves you in 5 mph increments.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes you can use cruise without the adaptive mode. I asked my concierge. I cannot remember the exact steps but it is in the manual also.

To make 1+ mph adjustments, you just HOLD up/down the toggle switch to adjust your speed. Not as convenient as the 1 mph toggle used to be because you actually have to watch the display to adjust any amount. But it is possible.
Hitting the toggle switch moves you in 5 mph increments.
the 5mph on a single toggle sucks. I really hate holding it just to go 1mph. This is where Subaru failed to realize, who the heck sets 5mph on cruise, holding it isn't intuitive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
the 5mph on a single toggle sucks. I really hate holding it just to go 1mph. This is where Subaru failed to realize, who the heck sets 5mph on cruise, holding it isn't intuitive.

Singing to the choir. I LOVED the 1 mph toggle on my 15 Outback. It was the first thing I complained about on the Ascent. With the 1 mph toggle, I didn't have to take my eyes off the road just boost my speed a little to get past a big truck. I could also set my cruise at 2-3 mph over the speed limit. The 5 mph is ok, but not at the expense of the 1 mph setting. They had both before and it was perfect.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Singing to the choir. I LOVED the 1 mph toggle on my 15 Outback. It was the first thing I complained about on the Ascent. With the 1 mph toggle, I didn't have to take my eyes off the road just boost my speed a little to get past a big truck. I could also set my cruise at 2-3 mph over the speed limit. The 5 mph is ok, but not at the expense of the 1 mph setting. They had both before and it was perfect.
I noted this in another thread but it bears repeating - they still have both! Just hold the toggle instead of quickly moving it and letting it go. E.g. hold it up and it will slowly climb by 1 mph - excellent :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agree it should be reversed especially since I usually set cruise to around 7 MPH over.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agree it should be reversed especially since I usually set cruise to around 7 MPH over.
I guess it's so that you can quickly jump to a different speed limit. while minor changes aren't as urgent
It'd be nice if we could set presets like on the radio and move up/down between them :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I noted this in another thread but it bears repeating - they still have both! Just hold the toggle instead of quickly moving it and letting it go. E.g. hold it up and it will slowly climb by 1 mph - excellent :)
Never mind my comment - I just realized you were lamenting the fact that you have to hold it for 1 mph vs. toggle for 5 mph (up-vote for that...)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I did like the outbacks dual mode toggle. soft toggle for 1mph and hard for 5mph. I will say coming from a car that only offers 1mph increments. I'd take the 5mph default over the 1mph any day. If im adjusting speed, esp. while in adaptive mode its going to be at least a 5 mph increment change more often than not. Just goes to show you cannot satisfy everyone every time.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I did like the outbacks dual mode toggle. soft toggle for 1mph and hard for 5mph. I will say coming from a car that only offers 1mph increments. I'd take the 5mph default over the 1mph any day. If im adjusting speed, esp. while in adaptive mode its going to be at least a 5 mph increment change more often than not. Just goes to show you cannot satisfy everyone every time.
True, can't satisfy every customer but... typical industry standard is soft touch +1, hold will increment until you stop.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think the idea here is that posted speed limits typically change in increments of 5 or 10 mph...so if you're going the posted speed limit at 70mph and enter a metro area where the speedlimit on the freeway drops to 55mph, its 3 clicks down; and 3 clicks up when the speed limit returns to 70mph.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Will the active/dynamic cruise control follow a vehicle in stop and go driving (pretty much every freeway in LA) ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Will the active/dynamic cruise control follow a vehicle in stop and go driving (pretty much every freeway in LA) ?
Of course it will, but if you're stopped for more than 1 second you'll have to hit resume button or touch accelerator to begin moving. It should be 2-3 secs like some competitors, IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Frankly I love it and it coincides with the speeds in most town cities they're all set to 25 30 35 etc ..... So driving at the state speed limit of 55 miles per hour and coming into a small town where the speed limit is 45 miles per hour you just click it down twice when you get to the other side of town you just click it up twice piece of cake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts