Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I can turn it On/Off but the Set button doesn't do anything no matter what. Could it be because off "Icy road" indicator or I got some malfunction with it? Thank you

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
422 Posts
Hi! So I can turn it On/Off but the Set button doesn't do anything no matter what. Could it be because off "Icy road" indicator or I got some malfunction with it? Thank you
Weird. Haven't had anything like that happen, but hope someone can offer you some good advice. Or hopefully the dealer takes care of it quickly and efficiently. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,176 Posts
Give that, you probably need to get it into dealer service...'sounds like maybe it's a bad rocker switch.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,176 Posts
I'm not technically knowledgeable and given the location of the switch, I'd be loath to even try to dig into it. Sometimes there is just a bad component and based on your description of behavior, I kinda feel that is the case here. That doesn't help with the situation and the distance, for sure, but you've tried to make it work in both modes and it's not registering your push. That says to me "bad component".

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
81 Posts
Doubtful, but I don’t have access to my vehicle to confirm/deny… do we have an on/off “master” switch on the backside of the steering wheel? I drove once in a car with such a switch which overrode the wheel mounted controls… like a master kill switch for cruise. That was a long time ago though.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,258 Posts
Doubtful, but I don’t have access to my vehicle to confirm/deny… do we have an on/off “master” switch on the backside of the steering wheel?
Nope, not here. It's just the cruise control button on the front of the steering wheel.

I don't think the icy road indicator (which is just based on the temperature) will disable the cruise control. That means it'd be unusable any time the temperature drops to 37 deg F or below (which is when that indicator light comes on). I'm almost certain it will continue to work below that temperature.

@lawrencevkim does the cruise control "ready" light illuminate in the center dash display when you turn cruise control on? The little white car symbol should appear (which turns green when it's commanding the throttle in cruise control), and the display should switch to a "split screen" mode where the lower 2/3rds shows cruise control and lane keep graphics.

This video shows more about the operation and what the screen should look like. It may be helpful for you to tell us what you do and don't see on yours relative to what you should be seeing (in that video).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see that in your original post that you mentioned the Icy Road indicator was on? I'd have to check the manual, but I think that will disengage the cruise?
My eyesight turning off (a lot of fog) disengaged mine. It took at least 15 minutes after driving in clear weather before the cruise started working again. That seemed odd to me. My 2016 Outback doesn't respond that way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My eyesight turning off (a lot of fog) disengaged mine. It took at least 15 minutes after driving in clear weather before the cruise started working again. That seemed odd to me. My 2016 Outback doesn't respond that way.
About 2 weeks ago, I got a message that Eyesight in our 2019 Ascent Limited was disabled -- however it was just becoming light in the area and there was some relatively thick fog along the road next to a lake. This was unusual in our car to see that Eyesight was disabled -- it's only happened a few times in the three years we've had the Ascent. As I drove a short distance away from the lake, the fog became less heavy and Eyesight went back on -- must have been disabled for less than a minute due to the fog and darkness.

·
Super Moderator
2,572 Posts
if you're savvy enough and brave enough to tinker while under warranty the only way i can think of to check the rocker switch is measure continuity across the switch when its actuated. that would require access to a lot of wires and tracing which circuit is which. there could be a lot of other fault points but i'd just be guessing without the diagrams.
to me, for a 100mi trip i'd rather just order and replace the switch myself if i thought it was the problem. the part number i found for my ascent is 83154XC01A, which should be ~$80 with shipping. before ordering double check the part number on parts.subaru.com with your info if you go that route.
Font Circle Auto part Drawing Diagram

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,258 Posts
If EyeSight isn't confident that it can see, so decides to turn itself off, it will also disable the adaptive cruise control, because it relies entirely on the stereo cameras' ability to see. You can, however, turn off the "adaptive" part of the cruise control yourself, essentially reverting it back to a conventional cruise control. And you don't have to stop or turn the car off or anything like that. As long as the cruise control system is on, but not actually engaged, just press and hold both the "increase following distance" and "decrease following distance" buttons for 2-3 seconds. That'll restore your ability to use conventional cruise control, even when EyeSight cannot see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If EyeSight isn't confident that it can see, so decides to turn itself off, it will also disable the adaptive cruise control, because it relies entirely on the stereo cameras' ability to see. You can, however, turn off the "adaptive" part of the cruise control yourself, essentially reverting it back to a conventional cruise control. And you don't have to stop or turn the car off or anything like that. As long as the cruise control system is on, but not actually engaged, just press and hold both the "increase following distance" and "decrease following distance" buttons for 2-3 seconds. That'll restore your ability to use conventional cruise control, even when EyeSight cannot see.
Oh nice - didn’t know that! That will help with the chirping as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Huge thanks to all Subaru fans on this forum. I honestly didn’t expect such a support from you guys, this is my first Subaru vehicle and I’m really enjoying it!
So I checked that brake switch, it works as it supposed to. And as someone mentioned above - there was no “Ready” label on the dashboard but anyway the problem was in my seatbelt.
I turned off the sound alert for unbuckled seatbelt and there was no indicator on dashboard regarding that and all the times that I was trying to check cruise control apparently my seatbelt wasn’t buckled. So long story short - cruise control works fine, buckle up the seatbelt in prior of using it.
huge thanks to everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2,572 Posts
Always buckle your seatbelt! Your Subaru was just trying to keep you safe.
I’m a little surprised nobody thought about that. The cruise control is a lot like automatically releasing the parking brake. ALL the conditions have to be met!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, it is likely due to the “Icy Road Condition” indicator. Read the section in your owners manual. It’s never a good idea to use your cruise control in any slippery road condition or heavy traffic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts