Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since the new Crosstrek and Ascent are both on the global platform was wondering if anyone had first hand ownership and driving experience with both?

I understand the engine and weight differences. Just looking for general impressions on driving, handling, and features.

·
Registered
412 Posts
its going to be comparing 2 different types of cars here. one is more suited to be compared to the Impreza where as one is more akin to the Outback. I don't know how much feedback you'll get. Best of luck

·
Registered
304 Posts
Completely different feel and an entire price segment of difference between them. The Forester is closer (particularly the upcoming 2019 Forester) and might make for a better compare/contrast. However,

The Ascent is a big vehicle and it feels like it when you're inside. It doesn't drive as big as it feels though...but sitting in each vehicle, the dichotomy is very evident. It has considerably more 'feeling of acceleration' with a WOT. It is more refined and comfortable inside than the Crosstrek.

The Crosstrek is a lifted Impreza Hatchback (and that would be a more fair comparison). It has a more 'adventurous' feeling interior, lacks bottom (and top) end power (I think the crosstrek is nearly perfect though, the lack of power isn't a downside to that car). A loaded Crosstrek Touring still cannot touch the MSRP on an Ascent Base with no options. The Outback and Forester fill the gap on the low side of things. The Crosstrek is more nimble (and, anecdotally, probably more capable out on the trails due to its size, but I could very well be incorrect on that).

The Ascent is a people mover. As such, it is full of comforts (42 USB ports, 952 cup holders, sun shades, ventilated seats, etc). The Crosstrek is an adventure vehicle. It really was genius on Subaru's part. They took an Impreza, lifted it, kept the same price range as the Impreza, and made a new vehicle out of it. It has just enough features to appease most people, but is considerably less comfortable (in an overall sense, not talking about the seats) than the Ascent. There's much less room, no Touring option, etc. My only wish for the Crosstrek is to have it in Limited trim with a manual transmission. I'll purchase the first one we get off a truck if that ever happens.

·
Registered
685 Posts
All global platform means is the chassis designs are the same, just streached. Many of the suspension components are are similarly designed, but will have different part numbers. It is like starting with the same lump of clay vs some cars being playdoh.

There is no suggestion they will ride or handle similar at all.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Completely different feel and an entire price segment of difference between them. The Forester is closer (particularly the upcoming 2019 Forester) and might make for a better compare/contrast. However,

The Ascent is a big vehicle and it feels like it when you're inside. It doesn't drive as big as it feels though...but sitting in each vehicle, the dichotomy is very evident. It has considerably more 'feeling of acceleration' with a WOT. It is more refined and comfortable inside than the Crosstrek.

The Crosstrek is a lifted Impreza Hatchback (and that would be a more fair comparison). It has a more 'adventurous' feeling interior, lacks bottom (and top) end power (I think the crosstrek is nearly perfect though, the lack of power isn't a downside to that car). A loaded Crosstrek Touring still cannot touch the MSRP on an Ascent Base with no options. The Outback and Forester fill the gap on the low side of things. The Crosstrek is more nimble (and, anecdotally, probably more capable out on the trails due to its size, but I could very well be incorrect on that).

The Ascent is a people mover. As such, it is full of comforts (42 USB ports, 952 cup holders, sun shades, ventilated seats, etc). The Crosstrek is an adventure vehicle. It really was genius on Subaru's part. They took an Impreza, lifted it, kept the same price range as the Impreza, and made a new vehicle out of it. It has just enough features to appease most people, but is considerably less comfortable (in an overall sense, not talking about the seats) than the Ascent. There's much less room, no Touring option, etc. My only wish for the Crosstrek is to have it in Limited trim with a manual transmission. I'll purchase the first one we get off a truck if that ever happens.
I am proficient in stick and learned to drive on an old 1990 Camry DX... but I didn’t mind the FB20 in the Crosstrek. I found that I had to push it a little when merging but we are talking around 4K rpms not redline. It seemed to be more agile than my existing Outback.

For me the comparison of the trims isn’t necessarily about the money, it’s more about the practicality.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am proficient in stock and learned to drive on an old 1990 Camry DX... but I didn’t mind the FB20 in the Crosstrek. I found that I had to push it a little when merging but we are talking around 4K rpms not redline. It seemed to be more agile than my existing Outback.

For me the comparison of the trims isn’t necessarily about the money, it’s more about the practicality.
The Ascent's practicality stops after the base (you could argue after the premium if you mention BSD), Everything else is just convenience...particularly if you don't need to haul around more than 5 people on a more than occasional basis. But there's nothing wrong with going with the less practical options. Comfort/Convenience are important factors as well.

Similarly with the crosstrek...the premium and limited models really only offer increased comfort/convenience and practicality is going to decrease with every gadget you add on. Subaru is getting to the point of having everything that should be standard, as standard equipment across all trim levels. However, I'd still have the limited for the Crosstrek because I prefer LED projectors over Halogens and I want the larger screen (Astigmatism has me feeling a little old).

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a new Impreza Sport and Ascent. The Impreza impressed so much with it's redo I decided to trade my 16 Outback on a Ascent.The Impreza is more nimble to drive and has a real connection to the road. The Ascent is less nimble has a lite steering feel and also is quieter. The Impreza's sport seats seem more comfy but the Ascents are bolstered better. Overall powertrain quality and performance is no contest with the Ascent on top. Different in many ways but you can tell they are on the same chassis design.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Crazy how the still image from the video makes the crosstrek look large and the ascent small.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
978 Posts
As pointed out two dramatically different vehicles for good reason.

The biggest single negative for the Impreza / Crosstrek is the non turbo low power engine. You won’t find owners at 6000+ ft with Imprezas that are super happy with the power. Especially any owners who haul gear up to remote trail heads, lakes etc.

From a stiff platform standpoint the global platform is getting lots of praise. Even my short drive in the Ascent last week I could feel the big improvement in chassis stiffness just from the improved directional control and handling over my super flexy weird interm 2010 Outback/Legacy platform. This stiffer more responsive effect has been noted with the Impreza line up also.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right. I'm curious when they're going to announce the Outback redesign for 2020. They dropped the turbo in the 2019 Forester redesign.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Right. I'm curious when they're going to announce the Outback redesign for 2020. They dropped the turbo in the 2019 Forester redesign.
The big question will be if they go the Forester route and have one 2.5 DI engine or have the 2.5 and Ascent 2.4 as the 3.6 replacement. Perhaps only for Legacy to boost sales?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The big question will be if they go the Forester route and have one 2.5 DI engine or have the 2.5 and Ascent 2.4 as the 3.6 replacement. Perhaps only for Legacy to boost sales?
Doubtful. Legacy is tried and true for sedan lovers but look at Ford. They just discontinued all sedans except the Mustang if you want to call it that because people are buying compact SUV’s (Honda HRV, Toyota CHV, etc)

I love the idea of a Legacy for me - I used to own one - but I want the ground clearance and hatchback at minimum!

·
Registered
646 Posts
At some point the tide will turn back to sedans until then everybody needs to be jacked up. If I lived in let's say Florida why wouldn't I drive a nice comfy sedan and with AWD it is beneficial in any slippery condition. Do you think Honda would dump the Accord? Ford never sold any sedans to begin with. There claim to fame is the F-150

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, since the new Crosstrek and Ascent are both on the global platform was wondering if anyone had first hand ownership and driving experience with both?
I own both a 2018 Crosstrek and an Ascent ... even though they are both built on the Subaru Global Platform, the two vehicles feel and drive very different IMO. The Crosstrek is more enjoyable to drive overall - much of that has to do with size of the vehicle but the steering response feels better connected to the road providing a more enjoyable / confident driving experience in certain situations.

The two vehicles do seem to share some common parts on the interior (maybe even the side view mirrors on the exterior?)

Only other thing I've noticed when both vehicles are sitting side-by-side in the garage is the body panel gaps are tighter on the Crosstrek versus the Ascent, which makes for a nicer overall appearance.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
The crosstrek looks lifted spacers? (didn't watch video ... :) )
Take a look under your Ascent... you'll find a few spacers here and there too. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Take a look under your Ascent... you'll find a few spacers here and there too. :tango_face_wink:
Right but the crosstrek doesn't come that high from the factory right? Unless this one was sold in Colorado :grin:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.