Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
there are plenty of other great crossbars. In fact, the "OEM" ones are just Thule bars. I transferred my 10 years old thule bars from my old suv to the ascent. I would start looking at Thule or Yakima.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was happy to find that the Thule square bar setup I had on my 2005 Honda Pilot fits perfectly on my Ascent. The side rails on the two cars are almost identical. My bars have integrated clamping mechanisms that clamp securely around the rails. I will probably only mount it to the Ascent for camping season, but since all my bike and kayak accessories are for the square mount tubes, I'm glad I have the option. I almost sold the Pilot with the Thule cross bars on it but thought I'd take the chance they might work with the Ascent. I think it is Thule 759 system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not for nothing, but I was able to get the aero bars for cost ($130) when I leased my Ascent. Nothing else is remotely close to that price. Dealer could offer it then before signing, but if I bought it through parts, it would've been MSRP.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got mine added tonight! OEM aero crossbars
Easy install? I was going to do them myself. The only thing that looked weird was the explanation of the torque "line" they have. Might just use my own torque wrench lol.

Reactions: imalittle1

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Easy install? I was going to do them myself. The only thing that looked weird was the explanation of the torque "line" they have. Might just use my own torque wrench lol.
Ridiculously simple. Only one screw on each side to install it. Two things to watch out for:
  1. They're teardrop shaped. The bulge goes forward and the thin side goes towards the rear
  2. They're different sizes. One is shorter than the other. So, don't adjust the length. Find where they fit.

The installation instructions are here:
https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/Installation Instruction TR8 Crossbar.pdf

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ridiculously simple. Only one screw on each side to install it. Two things to watch out for:
  1. They're teardrop shaped. The bulge goes forward and the thin side goes towards the rear
  2. They're different sizes. One is shorter than the other. So, don't adjust the length. Find where they fit.

The installation instructions are here:
https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/Installation Instruction TR8 Crossbar.pdf

Ditto. Yeah, it's pretty simple to install. The only issue you might run into is using the wrong bar for the front/back as they are different sizes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got mine added tonight! OEM aero crossbars
The other two did a great job of answering, but yes, super easy and hard to screw up. Don’t worry about the torque line, just don’t try to force it after it gets tight enough that you would feel you’re forcing it to go further. Of course, give the bars a super good yank after installing to ensure no give.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts