Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished 1/2 of our week long adventure.

My wife is an elementary school teacher in Arizona. While on spring break, we decided to visit our family's place in north west Minnesota. We haven't been there for awhile because of virus concerns. It's 1,800 miles each way.

We left right after school on the last day before break to Albuquerque, next day to Kearney, NE, and the final day to Minnesota. We stayed 1 step in front of winter storm Xylia. We tracked along and just ahead of the eastern edge of the storm, driving through heavy rain for about a thousand miles of the total. We successfully avoided the ice and snow.

We traveled all sorts of terrain including mountains, plains, rolling hills, high desert. It was VERY windy on this trip because of the storm. We got 25 MPG going up the hill from Phoenix and into to Albuquerque. Then the wind picked up! We finished with 22.1 according to the trip computer. I'm guessing we lost 2-3 MPG because of the crazy winds, so all in all I was satisfied.

The car was sure footed in all conditions with the stock tires. We had no surprises, well none that arose because of the Ascent 馃槂 Engine ran well, lots of power for passing on 2-lane roads. The electronics were dependable, windows stayed clear, cabin noise was modest and comfortable, road and tar strip bumps seemed well insulated and we still felt connected to the road.

The EyeSight features worked well when we could use them, the weather wasn't terribly cooperative. We used pretty much everything including Lane Centering. We became a lot more comfortable with how those things worked and behaved in real world situations. We were both big fans of the Adaptive Cruise Control and lane departure warnings.

My wife and I thought the seats, which feel comfortably firm around town, became a little stiff on our bottoms by the end of the trip. On the other hand, my back was well supported, no stiffness there at all. So, seats were OK.

We have the 8 passenger Limited. We got all our stuff in the back with the second row seat backs upright, and were still able to pull the privacy cover over everything. That was nice.

Even after climbing in and out of the car for 2 and a half days with wet dirty wet shoes, the door sills were still pretty clean. Entry and egress are very natural in this car. Even the all weather mats that came with the Subaru popular package worked well enough. I'll hose them out when we finish the return trip.

We were super pleased and really enjoyed the trip. We felt safe, sound and comfortable on the trip. Can't ask for much more!

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
Glad to hear it all went well. We're definitely loving ours, and though we haven't gone on any super long trips yet, on various 2 hour drives I was so happy that I'm dying to take this car EVERYWHERE. It's great all the time, but seems to especially shine out on the open road. (or in lots of fun snow! :))

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We're back!

We finished it trip yesterday for a total of about 3600 miles in 10 days. Six days days in the road and for days of rest in between.

Our Ascent is no longer "new" after carrying two adults living on Subway for lunch and losing a tomato between the seat and console (retrieved), driving rain, wind, ten states, a dog that rolled in something funky right before the return trip and dodging countless tumbleweeds. It now has over 6,000 miles on it and a little distance driving pin striping.

I'm glad I took the time to install the window diverters, foot well illumination, upgraded lighting in the cargo area and the Touring rear console cover on our Limited. It all got used and enjoyed.

Coming home from South Dakota through Arizona (卯t skipped New Mexico for some reason) we drove into heavy winds again. It was often blowing 20-25 MPH with steep gusts. I was shocked, shocked I say, that we still got 22 miles to the gallon on average for the drive home according to the trip computer. I thought that was pretty good under those conditions. I'm convinced on this drive in quiet weather, if that exists anymore, the average for my driving style would be in the 25-26 range.

I'm not sure that my expectations were reasonable but as noted elsewhere on the forums, the car doesn't have great manners in the wind. There were plenty of cars getting pushed around, I just didn't think the 4,500lb Ascent would be among them. It was very challenging at times. I did check the tire pressure every morning and noted cold pressure at 33 as spec'd on the door jam.

I'm also used to modern aluminum hoods dancing in the wind. The Ascent's was certainly no exception but bouncier than I expected.

I'll have both of these things checked out at my next service appointment.

We had a great trip! I was really impressed with how well the car handled mountainous curves, both up and down. My RDX, also AWD, felt loose in the hips which made diving down into Phoenix from Holbrook a little tiring. The road crests about 7,600 feet and winds it's way down to about 1,200. I felt very secure in the Ascent. It was fun to drive, not tedious at all as we were sheltered from the worst of the wind in the hills.

We really enjoyed the drive and our more slightly used 2021 Subaru Ascent! I hope everyone else is enjoying theirs too!

Administrator
Sounds like a great road trip was had.... The hood on my OB bounces a tad, but nothing too extreme. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the paint starts popping off... :D

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
Glad to hear it was a great trip, and nice that the car was mostly awesome. (haven't driven in much wind yet, but good to have an idea of what to potentially expect)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@tempecarlson, still rocking the OEM tires?
One new tire this morning, probably. Somewhere on our way home we picked up a very big nail in the tread. I think it's 50-50 repairable 馃檪

I'm curious about your question. Why do you ask if I was running stock tires?

Administrator
With a lot of people opting out of the OEM tires as quickly as they can, was curious if you swapped to something meatier or different for the trip into the frozen north...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a lot of people opting out of the OEM tires as quickly as they can, was curious if you swapped to something meatier or different for the trip into the frozen north...
I like touring tires most of the time, and the Falkens are fine for that I think, especially with the low profile 20s. As we spend more time up there, I'll probably get a set of 18s with snow tires and run something different on the 20s in the summer. We live off a dirt road up there so the low profile tires are probably not the best in any weather.

My nail was patchable, so I was glad about that. I've never had any problems with patches. I will also give a positive nod the the stock Falken tires. The nail was good sized, not really sure what it was, but in 2 days and 1700 miles it only lost a couple pounds of pressure. In fact, it measured good with my hand pressure guage. So, good for the tire for keeping us safe, even with the nail!

Dealer felt that the alignment looked good, but he didn't put it on the machine. The car tracked well out of the wind.

Registered
2021 ascent
nice to hear the wife wants to take a trip to texas in june to visit family we are in south dakota and its about a 15 hour drive.What window vents/deflectors do you have? i have been debating on getting a set or oem and slo trying to see if the forester rear hatch light would fit in the ascent rear hatch.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I picked up the OEM set. I like the trim detail and they work as I expected. About 1/2 hour to install.

The instructions tell you to remove the rubber protectors from the clips. Try not to forget that step like I did for the first deflector! You can pull them off later but it was a hassle!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a difference weather makes! We're redoing our March trip. 27 MPG per trip computer for the first 1000 miles from Phoenix area through NM and Colorado, KS and into Nebraska. Wind really killed us in March.
Car Speedometer Light Automotive design Tachometer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts