Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we started out on this month long trip in our 2019 Ascent which we purchased last December, we have had no issues up to this point with our vehicle. I will also throw this out there that our mileage overall has been pretty spectacular for the most part but will get into that later. Anyway we left Raleigh NC on this trip and the Ascent had performed flawless, nice comfortable ride. Yesterday we were in Buffalo Wyoming leaving the hotel and I lost all Power Steering and Eye Sight, shutdown the vehicle and restarted, didn't matter, left the vehicle running and called Subaru through Starlink, while talking to them the power steering fault indicator cleared on the dash, I told them to hold on and I restarted the vehicle and eyesight cleared itself, so they told me when I was near a dealership to have them check it out. So, we drove it around and I turned sharp and the steering went out again as well as the eyesight, stopped and restarted and it reset, this happened several more times so I thought well maybe I can make it to a dealership. Next dealership was in Billings Mt., called and made an appt. for the following morning. 180 miles away. Got up this morning naturally no power steering or eyesight, tried restart several times it was a no go, so drove the 180 miles with no power steering or eyesight. It is in the shop now, waiting to hear the prognosis.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Harness/connection from the steering rack torque sensor?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robert, I think they may be looking into that today, (this morning) they thought they had it repaired with replacing the steering rack yesterday, when the Master Tech took it out and drove it one last time he said the power steering had failed on him. He took it back to the shop but it cleared up, put on the rack and hooked it up to the diagnostics and and left running and turned steering wheel and could not get it to duplicate. Was in conversation with Subaru when I arrived, I asked if he had turned the wheels all the way to the stops he said jump in and try it.. I did and soon as I did lost the power steering, I hit the stops turning to the right, lost the steering.. he caught all this while hooked up to his equipment so hopefully Subaru see's it as well.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
To lose of a brand new car for several days while on vacation does not classify as a "minor blip." It qualifies as a major disappointment!
Disappointment - absolutely, but no reason to ruin the vacation as long as they provide a great loaner and some compensation. I had to take up some of my vacation to have my AC repaired. Life is full of inconveniences. A new vehicle is certainly in part meant to minimize those inconveniences. Life sometimes has other plans, so it really is more about how we interact with it all. It sounds like you are handling it well given the reality on the ground. I suspect SOA will find a way to get it right. Hang in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses, so here is the story as of today.. I am here in Billings Mt., have been since thursday morning at 830, when we arrived at the Subaru Dealership here. Rimrock Subaru. The Master Mechanic has worked diligently on trying to reolve the issue and had a new Steering Rack on order the same day we arrived and it came in the very next day, he worked and got it installed and all looked great. Before he was ready to release it he took it out for one last test drive and sure enough he lost power steering.. back on the rack, all equipment.. well today he diagnosed a voltage loss and thena loss of communication with the steering rack but could not pin point the area, he tried various things but couldn't find where the issue is, Subaru said to replace the whole Harness, the whole harness, well there are 5 harness's in the whole USA, so we are told, all are in Lebanon Indiana where they are put together and the Mfg. is closed until Monday, so at the earliest is a tuesday delivery,.. I have to say now that this is Bullshit. This pissed me off.. why can,t they pull a harness from the floor and throw it on the plane to Billings from the Subaru plant.. I do not want to hear that it cannot be done that way..throws it all another day behind just for delivery.. bought the Gold plan, makes no difference, car less than 12k miles, makes no difference, have been noticing what they all drive out West here in the areas of sparse population, such as Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Utah, Nebraska, in the less sparsely areas it is not Subarus, Toyotas, Nissans Mercedes, Volvos, or VW;s it is the Big 3, GM, Fords and Dodge, and the dealers are local to their areas where they do not have to drive 200-300 miles to get service if needed.. yes I am pissed.. A harness, how long to install, anyone want to guess?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Parts availability and allocation has been the bugaboo this year. Some manager should have opened the plant and overnight the part. Is this what SOA determined is the best they could do for you or was it the dealer working within the standard system of parts ordering? I agree with you that they should have worked outside the box.

Come to think of it, I would have them give you a loaner Ascent and let you be on your way. Let them figure out how to get your repaired Ascent back to you and exchange the loaner. Just drive the loaner where and when you want, even out of state to complete your vacation. Your vacation should not have to be messed with that much. Part of a day I can accept but this is not right.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Harness/connection from the steering rack torque sensor?
well today he diagnosed a voltage loss and thena loss of communication with the steering rack but could not pin point the area, he tried various things but couldn't find where the issue is, Subaru said to replace the whole Harness, the whole harness
Glad they finally checked that. Best procedure is to replace the whole thing. Probably quicker than fixing it.
A harness, how long to install, anyone want to guess
A few hours.
why can,t they pull a harness from the floor and throw it on the plane to Billings from the Subaru plant..
Because every harness gets tagged for a car in the process of assembly. So, it's not as easy as just yanking it out of a box. I know that answer doesn't make things easier for you, and I wish I had an answer that did. ?

Please make sure that you called or emailed Subaru of America to personally let them know your situation.

Hopefully the dealership will have you up and running soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Robert, I was told 16 hrs? If we get tuesday MAYBE by end of day Wednesday!! or into Thursday.. 1 week... The whole electrical harness inside the vehicle and underneath the hood has to come out and the new goes in.. I feel sorry for the guy who has to perform the task.. I have been contemplating since my rant last night and a bottle of XXXXX , if I can really trust the vehicle. After all of this out of nowhere this happened with nearly 12k miles on it.. it would seem to me that this type of problem should of shown its head way before now, since it was purchased last December. Really contemplating today, I know I will be on the phone tomorrow with Subaru, and yes I have been already in touch with them and they have assigned me a personal assistant and they are doing great in trying to make this as easy as they can for us. However, I am not retired, I also still need to work and I also have to get home across country.. I will be speaking with them again in the morning. Thanks for your input as it is welcome, what do you think about the Highlander or Pilot?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Thanks for your input as it is welcome, what do you think about the Highlander or Pilot?
I think they're both inferior, but I do crazy driving where I need the best AWD in the class. It's also nice that Eyesight is best at pre collision impact mitigation/prevention.

In the end though, you have to do what makes YOU happy.

...16 hours... The whole electrical harness inside the vehicle and underneath the hood has to come out and the new goes in
Wow, nice to know they're going all the way and replacing the entire thing. That's really good to know.

...if I can really trust the vehicle. After all of this out of nowhere this happened with nearly 12k miles on it.. it would seem to me that this type of problem should of shown its head way before now...
Not necessarily. Car harnesses are moving around all the time. So, it may take a while for an issue to show.

Good news is, Subaru seems very aware that some small number of earlier harnesses had issues, and even changed the repair guidelines from "repair" to "do not repair, replace instead" to try to ensure that customers were properly taken care of. If a harness has a fault, they're going through the expense of replacing the whole thing with the new harnesses that they've been putting a lot of QC efforts into making sure are built properly by the harness supplier.

From reading the forums, it seems there was a certain time frame affected. Your replacement harness is many months outside of that time frame, obviously, since it's brand new.

My harness, is one of the originals, from when the harness manufacturer had less to build and supply (my Ascent is a zero day pre-order). If you have followed my ridiculous adventures, you'll note that I have abused my Ascent more than you or 99.9% of other Ascent owners ever will. My point being, a properly built harness will handle ridiculous abuse without issues, so, my 40,506 brutally earned miles will hopefully give you an indication of what your Ascent will work like with the new harness.

I obviously have a VERY high confidence level in the design, otherwise, I wouldn't do the things I do with my Ascent. Having read everything in this forum, I'd be confident that a new harness will permanently solve your problems, especially considering knowing what abuse my Ascent has been through.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, they have said they are to reimburse us.. keep all your receipts.. we are, not living it up by no means, we have far exceeded the $500 that they allow, we will see how that comes out, I called first thing yesterday morning to tell them that the 500 was not going to be enough, and ask about if Subaru had a buy back program or some kind of money for some tradein anything, I have been here through the weekend and now I am ready to go, Well I did not get to speak to my advisor right away because she was on another line and this guy says she will get back with my end of business day... Hell no, that is what should have never been said, he said he has been looking at my notes, see's that I am stuck over 2k miles from home and tells me that... she did call me back in a few minutes and they said all expenses are covered, we will see, I did not get an answer on the buy back or some kind of help in tradein to another vehicle..even this dealership here in Billings has been trying to reach them with no luck to see what could be done financially (as of yesterday afternoon, we left 430Est. time) anyway right now all I asked was that I have a phone call from Subaru (my advisor) daily,

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.