Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One month in and I'm looking at a front bumper replacement as well as some rebuild work on the radiator bracket. Someone (not me) put the Ascent into the sharp corner of a low cement wall and low speed, but the angle of attack really did a number on the lower bumper and everything within about 6 inches behind it.

Question: I am finding conflicting reports as to whether Crimson Red Pearl was a previously-offered color on other models or is new for the 2019 Ascent. I have a reputable dealer-referred body shop who stated they've shot the color before (and I don't have many options) but I really want to know if I can expect a decent paint match...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had my front fender driver side corner recently repainted and it looks like new. Great match. My 2012 red outback looks to be a match.

Reactions: CrimsonRed

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Hello! Your paint code is M1Y, and the 2018 Subaru Legacy uses the same paint code.

Paintscratch products are highly rated and include clearcoat as well. You can pick your color here by picking M1Y red for the 2018 Legacy:
https://www.amazon.com/PAINTSCRATCH-Medium-2018-Subaru-Legacy/dp/B079MBZVYF

The Subaru paint pen (PN: J361SFL040A1) is no longer available, but is smaller and doesn't come with clear coat.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
One month in and I'm looking at a front bumper replacement as well as some rebuild work on the radiator bracket. Someone (not me) put the Ascent into the sharp corner of a low cement wall and low speed, but the angle of attack really did a number on the lower bumper and everything within about 6 inches behind it.

Question: I am finding conflicting reports as to whether Crimson Red Pearl was a previously-offered color on other models or is new for the 2019 Ascent. I have a reputable dealer-referred body shop who stated they've shot the color before (and I don't have many options) but I really want to know if I can expect a decent paint match...
You can expect an excellent paint match. I ordered aftermarket body side moldings from Sportwing. They ask only for the color code and then paint them to match. The match was near perfect. A quality body shop can do even better, not only will they order the matching paint, they'll adjust it or blend it in so that you should not be able to tell where it was repainted unless you are an expert at spotting such things.

However, if you're ultra fussy, you should note that painting plastic parts (such as the bumper) is very difficult to impossible to 100% match to painted metal parts. This is even true for factory paint jobs. You can get a 99% match, but if you have a trained eye you'll be able to discern that 1% difference. I can see it on my Crimson Red Ascent with the factory paint. It's no big deal and perfectly normal.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Same color as last year Legacy and Outback.

And as someone else mentioned, painted plastic and painted metal will ALMOST match, but they never really will. I'm color blind, but I see shades really well. Crystal White Pearl, it's VERY apparent on a new car, and on one that's two or three years old you'll be able to see it more. Some colors it's not very apparent at all, though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Due to a shop accident the rear door, rear quarter and roof line got repainted on our Crimson Red. The color is spot on. But do watch out for over spray especially on the clear coat. Cover up the stereo! Seems the face is rather magnetic so if any mist gets inside it goes right for the plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts