Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Creaking Spring from Passenger Front Tire

14K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Radzer0 
#1 ·
The suspension spring on my Ascent makes a pretty loud creaking sound as the wheel is turned extensively in slow speeds to stopped. Mostly noticeable when driving in parking lots, pulling in/out of driveways and that sort of thing. Sometimes It'll even give a loud spring pop sound as if it reseated itself. However, when slow again the creaking comes back. Guess I need to schedule some service time. Which has been impossible but that's the dealer's fault, not Subaru.

#3 · (Edited)
This doesn't sound like brakes to me. I have broken in and bedded in new OEM Subaru pad and rotor combos. I have several aftermarket sport set up as well. If brakes don't bed properly, the pads will end up scoring the rotor becasue they are cutting in. This produces a grinding, not a popping, or metal contact noise.

@brandon take it in right away, it's not the dealers fault. It's also not your responsibility to determine what part of the suspension, steering or brakes is making the noise. Me ... I would poke around with the car jacked up, see what I could determine beforehand. But that's me. Only so I was sure the dealer doesn't BS me because they don't have the talent to figure it out. (I do all of my own repairs and maintenance, even major work)

#5 ·
This doesn't sound like brakes to me. I have broken in and bedded in new OEM Subaru pad and rotor combos. I have several aftermarket sport set up as well. If brakes don't bed properly, the pads will end up scoring the rotor becasue they are cutting in. This produces a grinding, not a popping, or metal contact noise.

@brandon take it in right away, it's not the dealers fault. It's also not your responsibility to determine what part of the suspension, steering or brakes is making the noise. Me ... I would poke around with the car jacked up, see what I could behind beforehand. But that's me. Only so I was sure the dealer doesn't BS me because they don't have the talent to figure it out. (I do all of my own repairs and maintenance, even major work)
I'm fortunate to have a mechanic nearby. One that's very familiar with Subaru, and this was my attempt at explaining what they told me. However it's certainly not the brakes. It's very clearly coming from the change in steering of the passenger side front wheel.

#8 ·
So.... bad news.

Subaru has informed me that my brand new Ascent that I've gotten to drive for all of 10 (driven it for maybe 5 of those) days is now unsafe to drive and is keeping it at the dealer. Supposedly in the next day or two a factory tech is going to show up and inspect the car to figure out what has to be done to fix it, as they have never seen this before. Several of the service staff even said in all their careers they've never seen anything fail quite like this.

Disclaimer: I am a network architect so I will attempt to explain what's going on as best I can.

The right passenger wheel strut has somehow failed. There some kind of I hole that should have a bolt holding the strut in place (I guess?) and that bolt is totally gone. To top it off the spring is way off it's rubber base that it's supposed to be mounted in so yea it's spinning when the wheels are turned side to side. There was some mention of rust and they were talking amongst the advisors and couldn't figure out how it's even possible for there to already be rust. So they don't know why it failed, and they don't know how they are supposed to fix it. It sounds like if I am lucky I'll have the car back Monday... MAYBE earlier but it depends on how soon the factory tech shows up and what all parts they need to order.

Granted, it can't stop there. While at the dealer they managed to scratch the paint in at least two places... supposedly they will have their detail guy take care of that. Then they were all out of dealer loaners of any decent size (I have to fit three car seats) so they had to rent me a Tahoe from a rental company down the street. All for a grand total of 6 hours sitting around the dealers today.

What's most concerning is how many Subaru employees had not so good things to say about their cars. Hope I didn't buy myself another lemon... they told me to call Subaru corporate tomorrow which I plan to try to do. I say try because the last time I called I put my number in for a call back because after holding however long I had that was the only option it gave. Guess what, no call back. Let's say I'm quickly regretting my purchase, the excitement I had about this new amazing car is fading fast. As a first time Subaru owner I'm beginning to regret it, and before you try to call me out for overreacting, you don't know about all the other nonsense I had to deal with from the dealer in the first place.

Hey, maybe I can have the honor of finding the first recall/TSB?!

#12 ·
So.... bad news.

The right passenger wheel strut has somehow failed. There some kind of I hole that should have a bolt holding the strut in place (I guess?) and that bolt is totally gone. To top it off the spring is way off it's rubber base that it's supposed to be mounted in so yea it's spinning when the wheels are turned side to side. There was some mention of rust and they were talking amongst the advisors and couldn't figure out how it's even possible for there to already be rust. So they don't know why it failed, and they don't know how they are supposed to fix it. It sounds like if I am lucky I'll have the car back Monday... MAYBE earlier but it depends on how soon the factory tech shows up and what all parts they need to order.
Sorry to hear about your troubles....i will say while installing my hitch I did find rust....not significant but if left untreated it would have spread. I sanded these down to bare metal and painted then coated with fluid film. My 2013 Legacy is also rusted in several places near the trunk and bottoms of doors, hasn't spread to over skin yet, but it's on it's way.

#9 ·
UPDATE

The dealer apparently wasn't able to get the field tech to come out and look at my car, something I am not all that happy about. Instead they took pictures and sent them to Subaru of America and the instruction was to replace the entire front right strut assembly. Granted they said it's being deemed as a part failure, they don't know if any other struts are impacted in the same way or not. This does _NOT_ give me confidence in this car. Still looking at possibly Tuesday or Wednesday until I get it back.

#16 ·
UPDATE

The dealer apparently wasn't able to get the field tech to come out and look at my car, something I am not all that happy about. Instead they took pictures and sent them to Subaru of America and the instruction was to replace the entire front right strut assembly. Granted they said it's being deemed as a part failure, they don't know if any other struts are impacted in the same way or not. This does NOT give me confidence in this car. Still looking at possibly Tuesday or Wednesday until I get it back.
Did they ever figure it out, Got my Ascent 3 days ago and today started to notice rattling when inside the car on the passenger side by were the wheel is when turning, sounds somewhat similar to yours.

#14 ·
New member here, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your rattling wheel well stories. I noticed my front passenger strut was also rattling, getting it replaced now. I think the driver side has the same rattling noise, but the dealer couldn't replicate it so I'm trying to get them to inspect it anyway. Unfortunately the tires have uneven wear now, so they aren't likely to last as long. Any thoughts on how to deal with the tires?

**** new car issues...

#15 ·
Adding to this a little...
About 2 days ago I noticed a creaking from the front drivers side as best I could tell. It only happens when the front wheels are turned left, whether I’m steering left or back to the right and it’s most noticeable when stopped. I needed a state inspection anyway (yay for almost 1 year of ownership!) so they’re going to take a look while it’s at the dealer. I’ll update afterward.

#17 ·
Adding to this a little...
About 2 days ago I noticed a creaking from the front drivers side as best I could tell. It only happens when the front wheels are turned left, whether I’m steering left or back to the right and it’s most noticeable when stopped. I needed a state inspection anyway (yay for almost 1 year of ownership!) so they’re going to take a look while it’s at the dealer. I’ll update afterward.
Following up on this:

The dealer says its the front left strut bearing so they ordered a new one and just received it today. I have questions though!
  1. is it safe to drive on. its only making noise. i havent felt any change in steering or ride
  2. is it safe for me to tow a trailer before replacing the strut bearing
  3. what are the odds of the dealer screwing up this repair. i currently have an appt thurs at 1:30. i also MUST have my ascent for a weekend trip starting friday noon. they say it SHOULD only take a couple hours

#18 ·
I guess I’ll answer my own questions and add some info...

1. Yes it was
2. Also yes it was
3. I’m glad i waited till this week...

They took apart my front strut to replace the bearing and that’s when they found out they had the wrong part. I was told there’s an updated 2 piece design. Now it makes me wonder how long till the other side fails and if there’s been a redesign of that part, subaru must know something was wrong with the original design.

#20 ·
I am taking my car in tomorrow to have the front passenger strut replaced. You know those old door stops in your hows there were springs and how we loved to bend them and let go. Thats the sound I am getting from that strut. I was able to replicate it last week with the technician so they ordered the part and are replacing it tomorrow. Cross your fingers all goes well. I am not too worried about it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.