Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently tested my ascent in the deep snow on a highway. It performed really good when compared to my old front-wheel drive car. :thumbsup: to Subaru.

Next day started hearing creaking sounds from the driver side front shock on a full range bumps. It appears the sound is coming from some ball joints.:tango_face_surprise

I've googled subaru shock creaking...found bunch of posts in outback/forester forums.
They mentioned some grease wearing off on sway bars/joints/bushes when in snow...does Ascent has similar problems....anyone noticed creaking sounds after driving in snow:confused:
Also the dealers seem to suggest reapplication gel/silicon based lubricants etc. and owners noticing the sounds reappearing after few weeks.

My 7 year old car ran through many snow storms....never had to problem with shocks or re-application of grease.

Anyone heard such sounds?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Recently tested my ascent in the deep snow on a highway. It performed really good when compared to my old front-wheel drive car. :thumbsup: to Subaru.

Next day started hearing creaking sounds from the driver side front shock on a full range bumps. It appears the sound is coming from some ball joints.:tango_face_surprise

I've googled subaru shock creaking...found bunch of posts in outback/forester forums.
They mentioned some grease wearing off on sway bars/joints/bushes when in snow...does Ascent has similar problems....anyone noticed creaking sounds after driving in snow:confused:
Also the dealers seem to suggest reapplication gel/silicon based lubricants etc. and owners noticing the sounds reappearing after few weeks.

My 7 year old car ran through many snow storms....never had to problem with shocks or re-application of grease.

Anyone heard such sounds?
You stated you drove your car in deep snow. Did snow pack into the undercarriage and strut towers, then potentially freeze up over night? It could be this packed snow in places it shouldn't be that is the cause of this noise. I believe this is much more likely than bad/worn joints or them needing lubrication. If it's parked outside I would suggest parking it someplace inside for a day or so in above freezing temperatures to see if the issue is packed snow in the undercarriage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You stated you drove your car in deep snow. Did snow pack into the undercarriage and strut towers, then potentially freeze up over night? It could be this packed snow in places it shouldn't be that is the cause of this noise. I believe this is much more likely than bad/worn joints or them needing lubrication. If it's parked outside I would suggest parking it someplace inside for a day or so in above freezing temperatures to see if the issue is packed snow in the undercarriage.

Thought the same...it could be related to snow pack under carriage. But the temperatures were 50+ and snow melted everywhere...nothing visible on strut towers or undercarriage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had dealer perform first 6000 mile service today. I've mentioned about the creaking sounds from the driver side front shocks.
Not sure whether they tested to replicate the issue but have scheduled below service

TSB: Rattle Sound from Steering Rack on Rough Roads
NUMBER: 04-22-18
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10146479-9999.pdf
The new EPS assembly was incorporated into production as per the table below:
Model Starting VIN
Impreza TBD
Crosstrek J9310961
Ascent K3402362

My VIN# is no way near...it's in 25XXX series and not sure whether this TSB is applicable to my ascent.

Any suggestion folks??? should I take another opinion before getting EPS rack assembly replaced and noticing the sounds reappearing due to a different issue....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had dealer perform first 6000 mile service today. I've mentioned about the creaking sounds from the driver side front shocks.
Not sure whether they tested to replicate the issue but have scheduled below service

TSB: Rattle Sound from Steering Rack on Rough Roads
NUMBER: 04-22-18
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10146479-9999.pdf
The new EPS assembly was incorporated into production as per the table below:
Model Starting VIN
Impreza TBD
Crosstrek J9310961
Ascent K3402362

My VIN# is no way near...it's in 25XXX series and not sure whether this TSB is applicable to my ascent.

Any suggestion folks??? should I take another opinion before getting EPS rack assembly replaced and noticing the sounds reappearing due to a different issue....
My front shocks creak also when going over speed bumps. No i dont go over them fast or anything, i have not driven through snow but i definitely plan on having the dealer take a look.

Curious to see what happens to yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Ascent about a 10 days ago. My wife and I quickly noticed a creaking sound coming from back rear suspension, which we think got worse over time. I took it in a few days ago and they decided it was the struts, which they are replacing. It took them a while to diagnose it, though, so at least they didn’t think it was a common issue.

It was a pretty noticeable creaking, even slight rolling would cause it to make enough noise that I could hear it in the freeway. I thought it was odd that a pair of struts would be bad straight from the dealer. I’m hoping they are going to replace the front as well..

Seems like the issue in the OP was after some amount of driving, but maybe there are some bad struts in the midst?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts