Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmm.. Well this is the first Subaru I've owned and to be honest it hasn't been off to a good start. We had to bring it in for the suspension issue 3 days after owning and they kept it for two weeks! They weren't able to give us a loaner until 3 days after we dropped it off. If the transmission ends up needing to be replaced I sure hope it's within the warranty time since I don't want to spend 8k on a new tranny... o_O
I’m sorry, it’s a bummer. If it’s any consolation, my 2018 Toyota Tacoma, which I traded for the Ascent, was awful (a transmission that thrashed me around), squeaky leaf springs that made everyone in parking lots stare at me, one recall and two TSBs, steering that floated all over the road, and a seated position that killed my back and knees. Third production year and a solid reputation, it was a sour experience. People love those trucks, and it’s almost heresy to criticize them. We all have different expectations and tolerances, I guess.

Cars are just that way... I’ve found faults in every one I’ve owned except the 2002 Civic, because it was nothing more than 4 wheels and a seat... nothing more promised or expected, and my 2013 Impreza that, apart from two recalls, has been pure satisfaction. Subaru even stepped up by preemptively extending the CVT warranty to 100k for peace of mind. They are also replacing the entire engine on my cousin’s 8 year old out of warranty Forester due to oil consumption. Bank on Subaru standing by their sometimes faulty products (of course, people will tell you otherwise).

I think you’re 100% justified in your frustration with the dealer. I’m prepared to tell them tomorrow that they will not be keeping the car for more than a day — they can call me when they’re serious about diagnosing and repairing with part in hand.

As others have stated, this repair takes under an hour. The first occurrence was a day after I bought it and they just took a part off another Ascent and did it on the spot, so as to avoid a customer service debacle ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good for you standing your ground. After they diagnosed our vehicle and told us the part would take about a week to arrive, I wanted to pick it back up but they had already taken it apart and I guess didn’t want to do the labor to put it back together so they just kept it. It was super frustrating though. I hope they fix your suspension issue quickly!! ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good for you standing your ground. After they diagnosed our vehicle and told us the part would take about a week to arrive, I wanted to pick it back up but they had already taken it apart and I guess didn’t want to do the labor to put it back together so they just kept it. It was super frustrating though. I hope they fix your suspension issue quickly!! ?
When I encountered the issue the next day, I went back to the salesman / sales manager -- I think they were a little embarrassed. Service was like "we're about a month booked out" and I went to my sales guy and said, politely but firmly, something to the effect of oh helllllllz no. I made the sales manger work it out with service and, very very fortunately, it happened.

These forums are great resources, but I think they can stress us out as well (especially those of us with OCD). Focus on what you love about the car. I can say that this is the first car I can drive for more than 4 or 5 hours without feeling sore and exhausted... it made my recent road trip really enjoyable! Subarus don't have much of a reputation for being sexy and luxurious... but I personally think the Ascent borders on it ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same issue with creaking; heard it immediately after I picked up the car. Is it unsafe to drive? Will call for service tomorrow.
Update: my Ascent has been in the shop for 2 weeks, parts are on order. With so many vehicles with the same issue, why are the service depts. acting like this is such a mystery and why is Subaru not issuing a recall?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update: my Ascent has been in the shop for 2 weeks, parts are on order. With so many vehicles with the same issue, why are the service depts. acting like this is such a mystery and why is Subaru not issuing a recall?
Hi Alice,

I understand your frustration. I asked the same question as you, and I guess it's because they haven't had enough reports of this issue to make it a recall yet. My Ascent was also in the shop for 2 weeks before they received the part. They said it was on "back order" because they had to pull the part from the assembly line since it's such a new car. My suggestion is to email the Subaru corporate office and report the issue. That is what I ended up doing when my car was in the shop so they could also have it on record and make things right for you. I'm sorry you're going through this, it's very frustrating!

Amy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Alice,

I understand your frustration. I asked the same question as you, and I guess it's because they haven't had enough reports of this issue to make it a recall yet. My Ascent was also in the shop for 2 weeks before they received the part. They said it was on "back order" because they had to pull the part from the assembly line since it's such a new car. My suggestion is to email the Subaru corporate office and report the issue. That is what I ended up doing when my car was in the shop so they could also have it on record and make things right for you. I'm sorry you're going through this, it's very frustrating!

Amy
Hi Alice,

Amy
They told me my car would be ready next week. Thought I would give them a call to see if I could get an estimate of when the work would be completed, and they say, "Oh, your car is ready to be picked up". AFTER HAVING MY CAR IN THE SHOP FOR TWO WEEKS, no one even bothered to call me to say it was ready? Corporate Office is going to hear about this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish that I could say my problem has been remedied, but I can't. Purchased new Ascent in June, and creaking rear suspension noticed by 2nd week. In the shop two times already, and when I called to schedule for 3rd repair/evaluation (they had ordered parts, and I received email that they were received, to please call and schedule an appointment...) I was told that they would not offer any further repairs for this issue. I was told to call the corporate office.

Now, 3 weeks of back and forth emails and calls, I've been offered a settlement from Subaru. 3 options: $5k and all warranties stay in place (basically sshhhh), they buy car back from me, or they give me a replacement.

I'm so frustrated - no idea what to do (except NOT accept the $5k - that won't come in handy if my 4 children and I die in an accident on the CA freeways!). Trying to connect with corporate again this morning and talk to someone. I love the car, but will this just occur again on a replacement vehicle? Should I buy a different 3rd row SUV? Grrr....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish that I could say my problem has been remedied, but I can't. Purchased new Ascent in June, and creaking rear suspension noticed by 2nd week. In the shop two times already, and when I called to schedule for 3rd repair/evaluation (they had ordered parts, and I received email that they were received, to please call and schedule an appointment...) I was told that they would not offer any further repairs for this issue. I was told to call the corporate office.

Now, 3 weeks of back and forth emails and calls, I've been offered a settlement from Subaru. 3 options: $5k and all warranties stay in place (basically sshhhh), they buy car back from me, or they give me a replacement.

I'm so frustrated - no idea what to do (except NOT accept the $5k - that won't come in handy if my 4 children and I die in an accident on the CA freeways!). Trying to connect with corporate again this morning and talk to someone. I love the car, but will this just occur again on a replacement vehicle? Should I buy a different 3rd row SUV? Grrr....

·
Registered
7 Posts
After 2 weeks in the shop, I got my Ascent back, and 2 days later it is creaking again. I wonder if they did the full repair, as others have outlined. My receipt says they replaced both rear struts and mounts. Is there more that I should be asking them to replace? Will be calling Corporate tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did they repair and or replace on your vehicle before they made you these offers?
They first replaced the mounts, next was a ‘full system update’ and replaced the complete struts. The third time - tepair that was declined - I have no idea what part they ordered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on this issue
Just got my 2019 Ascent back (approx 500 miles) after 15 days in the shop. Creaking seems to be fixed, I will report back if anything changes. As Clint said it was (finally) diagnosed with bad upper strut mounts (only the rear struts) after a Subaru field engineer came by with some specialized equipment to detect noise sources (according to service rep). They had previously replaced the strut with no resolution, so they took out the entire strut assembly and upper mount and that fixed the problem.

Good to have my new car back! I drove an Outback loaner and was really disappointed in the power....
Just got my 2019 Ascent touring model back 3 recalls 2 on the computer 1 PCV valve they ordered new rear struts and bushings already going bad assuming they were installed incorrectly we'll see if that takes care of it the creaking noise

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had both of my “top hats” replaced... one the day after I purchased the car. Someone here posted pics of the design flaw.

I’m grateful that the dealer immediately identified my particular issue... if my brand new car had been in the shop for weeks (especially without a like for like loaner) I would have thrown a fit (and I’m generally a very good natured person). I might have even caused a scene, and I wouldn’t have been quiet about it. I might have even gone to the bank to stop payment on the $43k check they were sitting on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I first noticed "creaking" during cold weather last year. I can't pinpoint any specific location-sounds like all around; sounds like something in the suspension. I figured it was just the car breaking in, especially as during the warm months it was rare to hear anything. It started again in about November-when it got cold. When I took it in for the recalls I had the shop look into it. I reported the sound & that in this forum people had found it attributed to the springs. I was told that after inspection it seemed to be the brakes & that no recall or corporate information was available to address the problem. When I asked about the possibility of the springs being the culprit I was told the tech checked them and tightened the bolts. Still creaking.:cautious:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I first noticed "creaking" during cold weather last year. I can't pinpoint any specific location-sounds like all around; sounds like something in the suspension. I figured it was just the car breaking in, especially as during the warm months it was rare to hear anything. It started again in about November-when it got cold. When I took it in for the recalls I had the shop look into it. I reported the sound & that in this forum people had found it attributed to the springs. I was told that after inspection it seemed to be the brakes & that no recall or corporate information was available to address the problem. When I asked about the possibility of the springs being the culprit I was told the tech checked them and tightened the bolts. Still creaking.:cautious:
if it’s coming from the rear, have them replace the top hats that sit above the strut. Relatively easy fix. Both of mine were bad (in cold weather)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had the very annoying and loud squeaking creaking in both my front and rear suspensions...My Subaru dealer replaced both sets and lubricated the sway bar bushings under warranty.
No more noise....Great customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello! I noticed this on my 2-week old car too (800mi). Any feedback from the dealer? Just so I know what to point out next time I'll be in. Thanks!
They had mine for 2 days. Gave me an Ascent loaner.
They replaced my rear struts and springs two times and there was still a squeak in the rear, found out the spare tire was loose, making the noise. The second time they changed the struts and coils springs that did take care of it. It was the spare tire being loose.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
43 Posts
Had the very annoying and loud squeaking creaking in both my front and rear suspensions...My Subaru dealer replaced both sets and lubricated the sway bar bushings under warranty.
No more noise....Great customer service.
I am getting the front noise addressed this week, I first brought it up at the dealer a year ago July 2019. They adjusted the screws and said they will let SOC know. I finally came across this TSB to inform my dealer as it was issued months after that visit.

Google the original TSBs for photos of the parts if you want to see them.

NUMBER: 05-71-19R
DATE: 10/25/19
REVISED: 01/08/20

APPLICABILITY: 2019-20MY Ascent
SUBJECT: Front Coil Spring Inspection Procedure for Knock / Rattle Sound

INTRODUCTION:
This bulletin provides an inspection procedure to follow when addressing customer concerns of a rattling, knocking or klunk type sound when going over slight bumps and / or uneven road surfaces.

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION:
New front coil springs were incorporated into production starting with VIN L3406693.

I haven't heard any noise from the back suspension yet, but here's the TSB:

NUMBER: 05-72-19
DATE: 12/10/19

APPLICABILITY: 2019MY Ascent
SUBJECT: Squeak / Creaking Sound from Rear Suspension

INTRODUCTION:
This bulletin addresses isolated concerns of a squeaking / creaking -type sound from the rear suspension. The condition is caused by a burr on the end of the coil spring winding produced with an end gap which was out of specification. This allowed the burr to make contact with the mount. Over time, the burr, which is characteristic result of the manufacturing process, can penetrate the rubber isolator and come into direct contact with the strut mount as shown in the photos below. This contact creates the sound described. Should this occur, both the mount and coil spring must be replaced.

NEVER attempt to grind or otherwise alter the burr on the new or original equipment coil spring or repair any contact marks with paint or other coatings. Replace the affected parts with new ones.

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION:
Improved coil springs were incorporated into production as per the table below:

Model Starting VIN
Ascent WITHOUT Moonroof K3486754
Ascent WITH Moonroof K3486707

41 - 59 of 59 Posts