Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been having the same problem since new. Right rear strut and top mount was replaced previously. I just now picked up my Ascent from the third service appointment and replacement of the left strut and top mount has not resolved the issue as it was very noticeable parking in my driveway. So very frustrating!

I'm wondering if the sway bar bushing are at fault since it seems that several others are having the same issues and have also had their struts replaced with little long term success.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Ascent is currently at the dealer for the 3rd visit on the same problem. First visit, rear struts were "adjusted." Second visit, rear struts were replaced. After that a second Ascent came into the same dealer with the same issue and Subaru sent their field engineer. They spent a week diagnosing. There is some kind of isolation protection on the bottom of the strut assembly where everything comes together. That protection is supposed to prevent any metal to metal contact. On this particular Ascent, that protection had either been improperly installed, or worked its way out of place. They fixed that and the customer drove for 5 days without repeated incident before the dealer called me to schedule the same fix for mine.

Four days after drop-off (having heard no updates) I called the dealer and learned that mine must have had even more significant of an issue, as the field engineer had been called back, and after inspecting my Ascent, wanted the entire rear suspension assembly removed as a unit and shipped back to the factory.

We also had a door lock that wouldn't disengage if the vehicle was parked on an incline when we picked up the car (in March)

Needless to say, I'm now pretty worried about what else we might find a year or two down the road. This is not the experience I'm used to with Subarus.

Anyway, I hope the details above help anyone else who might be getting noise from the rear suspension.
buying

Buying the first edition is always risky. It sucks having unknown issues with ANY car, but doubly so on new one!

i just wanted to point out the irony of a door lock not working when parked on an incline. It is, after all, the Ascent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update on this issue
Just got my 2019 Ascent back (approx 500 miles) after 15 days in the shop. Creaking seems to be fixed, I will report back if anything changes. As Clint said it was (finally) diagnosed with bad upper strut mounts (only the rear struts) after a Subaru field engineer came by with some specialized equipment to detect noise sources (according to service rep). They had previously replaced the strut with no resolution, so they took out the entire strut assembly and upper mount and that fixed the problem.

Good to have my new car back! I drove an Outback loaner and was really disappointed in the power....
Hi Scott,

We just bought a brand new Ascent and have only had it for 5 days. On day 3 of owning the car, I started hearing creaking sounds coming from the rear of the car. We dropped it off at the service dept. today and they said theu have to keep it overnight. Of course there’s no loaner cars available -_-.

I am wondering if your issue has been fixed since you got your car back? I’m feeling pretty stressed about all of this since we just bought the vehicle!

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was in the same boat—rear creaking 5 days into ownership. Dealer replaced springs and mounts a week ago. Not thrilled, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the same boat—rear creaking 5 days into ownership. Dealer replaced springs and mounts a week ago. Not thrilled, but so far, so good.
This is what the service dept. told us today:

“Verified concern, left rear has creak and at times pop when
body flexes. Perform chassis ear diagnosis and isolated to
left rear strut top. Inspected all under suspension and all
bolts are secure. Removed strut and found top spring worn
hole through the rubber and rubbing the strut top
we have parts ordered.”

Of course the part is on back order and won’t come until Wednesday which is annoying. Also, why would this happen with a brand new car with new parts? It all doesn’t make sense to me. I’m hoping nothing else goes wrong anytime soon or else that’s a sign this may have been the wrong car purchase choice :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is what the service dept. told us today:

“Verified concern, left rear has creak and at times pop when
body flexes. Perform chassis ear diagnosis and isolated to
left rear strut top. Inspected all under suspension and all
bolts are secure. Removed strut and found top spring worn
hole through the rubber and rubbing the strut top
we have parts ordered.”

Of course the part is on back order and won’t come until Wednesday which is annoying. Also, why would this happen with a brand new car with new parts? It all doesn’t make sense to me. I’m hoping nothing else goes wrong anytime soon or else that’s a sign this may have been the wrong car purchase choice :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That’s good that you got some pictures! It sounds like the same issue I had, but when I asked to see the parts they had been taken away by Subaru already so I’m not 100% sure if that’s what was happening to mine exactly.

My issue seems to have been fixed though, and overall it’s not a very complicated repair so I don’t feel too anxious about it (compared to transmission issues or something like that).

I know the feelings having it happen to your brand new Ascent! I wasn’t happy about my repair either. Ever since that issue and my AC leak mine has been running well, so hopefully you are in the clear..

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same issue with creaking; heard it immediately after I picked up the car. Is it unsafe to drive? Will call for service tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, just wanted to pitch in. I had creaking issues which was resolved and have been working fine since the. So apparently, the springs had a design flaw, a metal part sticking out which causes it to punch a hole on the strut mounts/bushings and makes metal contact with the body thus the creaking sound.

Springs were back ordered and SOA gave the tech at the dealership a go to shave down the said metal that was poking. It’s been a month or so since and no creaking anymore so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same issue with creaking; heard it immediately after I picked up the car. Is it unsafe to drive? Will call for service tomorrow.
Hi Alice,

When I heard the creaking and they told us the issue, they did not say it was unsafe to drive, but the vehicle was already at the service dept. if youre bringing your car in soon, it should be ok but maybe ask them just in case. Hope this helps.

Amy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, just wanted to pitch in. I had creaking issues which was resolved and have been working fine since the. So apparently, the springs had a design flaw, a metal part sticking out which causes it to punch a hole on the strut mounts/bushings and makes metal contact with the body thus the creaking sound.

Springs were back ordered and SOA gave the tech at the dealership a go to shave down the said metal that was poking. It’s been a month or so since and no creaking anymore so far.
Exactly what were told and for the third attempt that took 3 weeks they have it fixed! Finally have a new car that sounds like one... except the front right brake...

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told by the service dept. that this issue will most likely be a recall. We are the guinea pigs for this car since it's the first year of this model...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yup. Had same issue the night I brought the car home. When I took it back the next day, it just so happened that they had extra rear suspension components on hand from performing a lift on another Ascent, so they were able to replace something on top of the strut. I wish I remembered what it was -- they did the repair on the spot w/o paperwork or anything since I was a bit annoyed at having to bring the car in so soon (they were booked out a month, otherwise). This worked great, but 3000 miles later I hear it on the other side I think, but it's much quieter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup. Had same issue the night I brought the car home. When I took it back the next day, it just so happened that they had extra rear suspension components on hand from performing a lift on another Ascent, so they were able to replace something on top of the strut. I wish I remembered what it was -- they did the repair on the spot w/o paperwork or anything since I was a bit annoyed at having to bring the car in so soon (they were booked out a month, otherwise). This worked great, but 3000 miles later I hear it on the other side I think, but it's much quieter.
Yikes. Have you made another appointment to bring it in? Seems like it will be an issue on both sides for most Ascents!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yikes. Have you made another appointment to bring it in? Seems like it will be an issue on both sides for most Ascents!
Tomorrow. This time it's not as loud and creaky as previous -- I only hear it turning over certain bumps with radio & AC off. But, it's exactly the same sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tomorrow. This time it's not as loud and creaky as previous -- I only hear it turning over certain bumps with radio & AC off. But, it's exactly the same sound.
That would still drive me crazy. It just sucks having to bring in your brand new car for an issue like that. Makes me wonder what's going to happen when the car has more miles. We've also been feeling a little slipping in the transmission when going uphill, but when I mentioned this to the service dept. they said that's "normal" for a CVT engine.. ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
That would still drive me crazy. It just sucks having to bring in your brand new car for an issue like that. Makes me wonder what's going to happen when the car has more miles. We've also been feeling a little slipping in the transmission when going uphill, but when I mentioned this to the service dept. they said that's "normal" for a CVT engine.. ?
I drive lots of cars (rentals), and have found that Subarus have inherent quirks that I can live with. Come hell or high water, they seem to be 100% devoted to CVTs, boxer engines, AWD, etc. Toyota & Honda still use a mix of CVT and standard autos... they're taking a more conservative approach it seems... maybe so the customer doesn't complain so much :) Also, I wonder how much efficiency is really gained from a CVT to justify the hard-to-adjust-to shifting (I actually don't mind it) and the $8000 repair cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drive lots of cars (rentals), and have found that Subarus have inherent quirks that I can live with. Come hell or high water, they seem to be 100% devoted to CVTs, boxer engines, AWD, etc. Toyota & Honda still use a mix of CVT and standard autos... they're taking a more conservative approach it seems... maybe so the customer doesn't complain so much :) Also, I wonder how much efficiency is really gained from a CVT to justify the hard-to-adjust-to shifting (I actually don't mind it) and the $8000 repair cost.
Hmm.. Well this is the first Subaru I've owned and to be honest it hasn't been off to a good start. We had to bring it in for the suspension issue 3 days after owning and they kept it for two weeks! They weren't able to give us a loaner until 3 days after we dropped it off. If the transmission ends up needing to be replaced I sure hope it's within the warranty time since I don't want to spend 8k on a new tranny... o_O

21 - 40 of 59 Posts