Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I responded to another post recently about someone that had a creaking noise from rear suspension after a snow storm, and I commented that my week-old 2019 ascent was being worked on my the dealer for the same issue, I am now about two weeks in with no resolution and I’m hoping I can find someone that has fixed the same issue already!

It has been in dealer for about 10 days, with no solution in sight - originally diagnosed with loose sway bar (I spoke to the mechanic who admitted that he was just in the rear end tightening any bolts he saw), that did not fix it. They decided it was the rear struts but they have been replaced now and still have noise, now they are back to square one! Any ideas??

The noise is a creaking / groaning that occurred when the car was going over almost any sized bump that made the car sway, even heard it driving down the highway if I recall correctly..

Anyhow, I’m tired of the loaner and I’m ready to get my car back... any thoughts??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I responded to another post recently about someone that had a creaking noise from rear suspension after a snow storm, and I commented that my week-old 2019 ascent was being worked on my the dealer for the same issue, I am now about two weeks in with no resolution and I’m hoping I can find someone that has fixed the same issue already!

It has been in dealer for about 10 days, with no solution in sight - originally diagnosed with loose sway bar (I spoke to the mechanic who admitted that he was just in the rear end tightening any bolts he saw), that did not fix it. They decided it was the rear struts but they have been replaced now and still have noise, now they are back to square one! Any ideas??

The noise is a creaking / groaning that occurred when the car was going over almost any sized bump that made the car sway, even heard it driving down the highway if I recall correctly..

Anyhow, I’m tired of the loaner and I’m ready to get my car back... any thoughts??
hello! I noticed this on my 2-week old car too (800mi). Any feedback from the dealer? Just so I know what to point out next time I'll be in. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ours is in the shop now with a similar concern. Tech diagnosed it as the upper strut mount which I tend to believe based on how loud the noise was in the cabin. Just waiting for the parts now. Hopefully we'll know soon if that was indeed the culprit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on this issue
Just got my 2019 Ascent back (approx 500 miles) after 15 days in the shop. Creaking seems to be fixed, I will report back if anything changes. As Clint said it was (finally) diagnosed with bad upper strut mounts (only the rear struts) after a Subaru field engineer came by with some specialized equipment to detect noise sources (according to service rep). They had previously replaced the strut with no resolution, so they took out the entire strut assembly and upper mount and that fixed the problem.

Good to have my new car back! I drove an Outback loaner and was really disappointed in the power....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I asked to see the bad mount but they said that Subaru had already left with it, I assume they are going to log it in corporate quality control database

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Ascent is currently at the dealer for the 3rd visit on the same problem. First visit, rear struts were "adjusted." Second visit, rear struts were replaced. After that a second Ascent came into the same dealer with the same issue and Subaru sent their field engineer. They spent a week diagnosing. There is some kind of isolation protection on the bottom of the strut assembly where everything comes together. That protection is supposed to prevent any metal to metal contact. On this particular Ascent, that protection had either been improperly installed, or worked its way out of place. They fixed that and the customer drove for 5 days without repeated incident before the dealer called me to schedule the same fix for mine.

Four days after drop-off (having heard no updates) I called the dealer and learned that mine must have had even more significant of an issue, as the field engineer had been called back, and after inspecting my Ascent, wanted the entire rear suspension assembly removed as a unit and shipped back to the factory.

We also had a door lock that wouldn't disengage if the vehicle was parked on an incline when we picked up the car (in March)

Needless to say, I'm now pretty worried about what else we might find a year or two down the road. This is not the experience I'm used to with Subarus.

Anyway, I hope the details above help anyone else who might be getting noise from the rear suspension.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Between this and the AC issue my Ascent is currently in the shop for, I have similar concerns! First model year issues I guess, but it’s definitely not very reassuring

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Ascent is currently at the dealer for the 3rd visit on the same problem. First visit, rear struts were "adjusted." Second visit, rear struts were replaced. After that a second Ascent came into the same dealer with the same issue and Subaru sent their field engineer. They spent a week diagnosing. There is some kind of isolation protection on the bottom of the strut assembly where everything comes together. That protection is supposed to prevent any metal to metal contact. On this particular Ascent, that protection had either been improperly installed, or worked its way out of place. They fixed that and the customer drove for 5 days without repeated incident before the dealer called me to schedule the same fix for mine.

Four days after drop-off (having heard no updates) I called the dealer and learned that mine must have had even more significant of an issue, as the field engineer had been called back, and after inspecting my Ascent, wanted the entire rear suspension assembly removed as a unit and shipped back to the factory.

We also had a door lock that wouldn't disengage if the vehicle was parked on an incline when we picked up the car (in March)

Needless to say, I'm now pretty worried about what else we might find a year or two down the road. This is not the experience I'm used to with Subarus.

Anyway, I hope the details above help anyone else who might be getting noise from the rear suspension.
I am awaiting parts for new struts as well. First trip to the dealer they tried to grease the “top hats”. That did not work to stop the “creaking”, nor did I expect it to. Service said there was another customer with the same problem and struts were on back order because this has been a pretty common problem. Not sure if they are planning just struts or the entire mount. I actually have no idea what the difference is, I just want it fixed. Otherwise, love the car. I own 16 Subarus at work, one for each of my two kids, I have one, my ex has one and my ex mother in-law!! It is a Subaru convention at my house!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My replacement stats arrived, but the parts had the same problem as the ones that were faulty on my vehicle. At least they caught it during inspection before putting them on. This manufacturing issue is troubling, and unfortunately ruining what I thought was an undying love for Subaru.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My replacement stats arrived, but the parts had the same problem as the ones that were faulty on my vehicle. At least they caught it during inspection before putting them on. This manufacturingissue is troubling, and unfortunately ruining what I thought was an undying love for Subaru.
Hi new to forum. Having same issues. Bought Ascent in April. Creaky R rear suspension. In shop for a week. Immediately diagnosed as a strut mount problem (not the first time the had this issues since they said someone else brought theirs in and replacing strut itself didn’t fix it). Took care of problem. Now one week later sounds like rear suspension is creaky. Losing my mind. Seems to be a widespread issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently sitting in the waiting room at the dealer having my creaky rear suspension looked at, for the 2nd time. 2000 miles. First time was diagnosed as a possible liftgate problem. Nope.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I am having the same issue and this right after having my Ascent in the shop for over two weeks to fix the air conditioner that was blowing hot air. The shop had to wait for a new hose which was out of stock. I was told that there had been issues with mice chewing the hoses of some cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi new to forum. Having same issues. Bought Ascent in April. Creaky R rear suspension. In shop for a week. Immediately diagnosed as a strut mount problem (not the first time the had this issues since they said someone else brought theirs in and replacing strut itself didn’t fix it). Took care of problem. Now one week later sounds like rear suspension is creaky. Losing my mind. Seems to be a widespread issue
Having same issue with creaky suspension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update - Dealer replaced the following : both rear struts and springs, both rear strut mounts and rear sway bar bushings. They did not know which part or parts fixed the problem, but the creak is gone. We will see if it holds!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great to hear! My 2 week old Ascent is at the dealer awaiting a diagnosis for rear creaking. How long did it take to have the work done? I’m hoping to not have to go out of town in my loaner. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The symptoms reported here sounds just like my previous 1st year in production 2014 Toyota Highlander. The suspension noise groaning and creaking sound plagued many first year Highlander owners and Toyota didn't have a clue how to fix it. After experimenting by owners who decided to take action (myself included), it was found that the trailer arm bushing was the culprit. The bushing was located under the second row passenger seats so it was transmitting the groaning/creaking loudly. Of course Toyota didn't fess up and replace it except for a few owners lucky enough to have a service department push the issue. Many owners who couldn't get Toyota to fix it applied a bunch of silicon lube on the outside of the bushing. Eventually the lube works its way in between the bushing and silenced the noise. My creaking/groaning stopped once I used the DIY solution and didn't reappear for the next 5 years of ownership.

I;m not saying this is the exact cause for the Ascent but it's something to perhaps look at or bring up to a tech in the service bay. Mine Ascent isn't making the noise so I haven't crawled under looking around it's layout...yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my 2019 Ascent is in the shop for the second time with this issue. The first was a week or so after I bought it. They replaced one of the strut mounts (driver side) and we had no issues for a 3000 mile road trip. Had my car washed upon return and the noise is back, so back to the dealership.

Of course, I have a loaner Ascent and it has the exact same creaking noise from the rear end!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts