Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the center console area with the cupholders and shifter tends to creak like a wooden floor when the cabin is hot, like after sitting in a parking lot all day. it only does it when there are bumps in the road. The creaking goes away when the cabin is cool. It seems the tolerances in parts are so tight to make a nice quality feeling cabin, but in this case it might be a little too tight - we're talking microns. It's not as big deal as it goes away when the temperature is comfortable for passengers.

Anybody else notice this? I have a limited, so maybe the wood grain touring trim fits a little differently. Otherwise, the cabin is rock-solid and pretty impressive. In a louder car, the creaking would probably be masked by road noise.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a limited and haven't noticed this. I do always have some sound going though, be it the radio, kids, or my wife :D
Yeah, it's the kind of thing that isn't too noticeable. I can easily see the radio, wife, or kids drowning it out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It may be due to temp. My current vehicle from day 1 has sounds that seem to come and go with temp. Its annoying 3 years later. But not sure if there is anything that can be done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a limited but wasn’t sure exactly what it was. I’ve noticed this too...I didn’t notice a difference in temperatures but I’ll pay closer attention to it over the next few days. It does kind of bother me when I’m driving alone to and from work. But if it goes away when it gets colder I’ll be ok. 🙂

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a limited but wasn’t sure exactly what it was. I’ve noticed this too...I didn’t notice a difference in temperatures but I’ll pay closer attention to it over the next few days. It does kind of bother me when I’m driving alone to and from work. But if it goes away when it gets colder I’ll be ok. 🙂
It's "colder" here now (60s in the mornings/70s afternoon) and the sound is 99% gone. I only really noticed it in very hot weather. I guess we'll see next summer...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just fixed this on mine and wasn't too hard.

-Get yourself some anti-rattle tape or I used a duct tape i had lying around that had more of a felt type feel. Hockey stick tape might work also.
-Put your foot on brake and press accessory button twice and move shifter out of park. Keep your foot on brake or you might end up in the road like i almost did:)
-Remove any items you might have in the front cubbyhole.
-Start lifting the center console area to right of parking brake button and I've found giving it one swift tug works better that slowly pulling. After you get is started the rest of the clips release easily.
-Unplug the parking brake cable pull out console and and put back in park
-Remove all the screws from the back of this console and you need to use some pliers to release a few clips holding on the the chrome or wood trim piece.
-Place tape in all the areas this chrome/wood trim contacts the black plastic and that took care of that creaking noise on mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh wow!! I’m a bit nervous I’d snap something in the center console. Thank you for the step by step instructions. I’ll have to get a bit of nerves but I’ll try to attempt this fix.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just fixed this on mine and wasn't too hard.

-Get yourself some anti-rattle tape or I used a duct tape i had lying around that had more of a felt type feel. Hockey stick tape might work also.
-Put your foot on brake and press accessory button twice and move shifter out of park. Keep your foot on brake or you might end up in the road like i almost did:)
-Remove any items you might have in the front cubbyhole.
-Start lifting the center console area to right of parking brake button and I've found giving it one swift tug works better that slowly pulling. After you get is started the rest of the clips release easily.
-Unplug the parking brake cable pull out console and and put back in park
-Remove all the screws from the back of this console and you need to use some pliers to release a few clips holding on the the chrome or wood trim piece.
-Place tape in all the areas this chrome/wood trim contacts the black plastic and that took care of that creaking noise on mine.
Mine is doing the same exact thing. Can you take a picture of the space you put the tape in. Mine is driving me crazy as of late.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mine is doing the same exact thing. Can you take a picture of the space you put the tape in. Mine is driving me crazy as of late.
Sorry, I have already installed it and forgot take pictures. Once you remove the console cover and turn it over you'll see the areas where the chrome/wood trim is making contact with the main black plastic body. I pretty much covered this whole area under the chrome trim in mine, just a few screws and clips to gain access. You can test how well you did by twisting the part before and after you do the fix. Mine would creak like crazy before and after nothing.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oh wow!! I’m a bit nervous I’d snap something in the center console. Thank you for the step by step instructions. I’ll have to get a bit of nerves but I’ll try to attempt this fix.

Don't worry. Every time I remove paneling I always cringe and it seems like a band aide where sometimes you just have to rip it off to avoid the pain/cringe. It's a fairly sturdy piece and can take more abuse than you think. One the 1st clip pops near the parking brake the rest are cake

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you already haven't done this, this diagram might help.

https://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/W11_93001333.png

I have yet to do this because my creaking has dramatically minimized since the Summer weather has subsided. I have a roll of cloth tape that I'm probably going to use.
https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Wire-Loom-Harness-Mercedes-x/dp/B00EH6IZ6Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1541007109&sr=8-9&keywords=tesa+tape

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed that the center console area with the cupholders and shifter tends to creak like a wooden floor when the cabin is hot, like after sitting in a parking lot all day. it only does it when there are bumps in the road. The creaking goes away when the cabin is cool. It seems the tolerances in parts are so tight to make a nice quality feeling cabin, but in this case it might be a little too tight - we're talking microns. It's not as big deal as it goes away when the temperature is comfortable for passengers.

Anybody else notice this? I have a limited, so maybe the wood grain touring trim fits a little differently. Otherwise, the cabin is rock-solid and pretty impressive. In a louder car, the creaking would probably be masked by road noise.
Yes - definitely still present in the 2020. Lots of creaking out of the center console area when the cabin is warmer. Doesn't happen in the cold weather. I'm taking it in to the dealer this Friday to see if they'll fix it (it'll probably be too cold, knowing my luck). If they don't, I'll go ahead and take out the console and tape every contact point.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes - definitely still present in the 2020. Lots of creaking out of the center console area when the cabin is warmer. Doesn't happen in the cold weather. I'm taking it in to the dealer this Friday to see if they'll fix it (it'll probably be too cold, knowing my luck). If they don't, I'll go ahead and take out the console and tape every contact point.
My noise stopped altogether. It did not return this past summer as I anticipated. I have applied cloth tape to other areas, but the center console has actually been fine for over a year. It only creaked that first Summer (2018). Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any report on what the dealer did for you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
They tried their best to eliminate the noise, but it is still quite present when the cabin is warm. It's loud enough to hear over the radio. Hoping that perhaps it just goes away on its own like rockthebeef.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts