Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has had an Outback for the last several years. It has its quirks, but been a pretty decent car.

We want to upsize, so were set on a 2023 Ascent, but out of the four ive test driven, three made an obnoxious “groan” when quickly peddling the brakes at low speed. It seems to be when I start to take my foot OFF the pedal. I can make the noise happen in the parking lot at will.

A normal situation would be… slowly pulling up to a right hand yield, and momentarily getting on the brakes and then back off again.
I started to think this was (unfortunately) just a characteristic of the design. But one out of the four made zero noise. Which threw me off even more.

This isn’t normal brake moan, as if you just barely have the pads engaged on cold rotors. And I don’t think this is “seating the pads” issue, as I’ve never had this noise on any car I’ve owned. This is a very apparent, quick low pitched squeak/groan sound. I almost thought it was strut noise at first, but I’m pretty sure it’s something in the braking. I can tend to be overly nuanced when looking at a car, but even my wife and the sales guy noted it. It’s a very noticeable noise.

Any thoughts?
I hate for this to derail the Ascent plans, but there’s no way I’m driving a car off the lot making this kind of noise.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,255 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me...but keep in mind that there's a 1000 mile break in period for the Ascent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't sound normal to me...but keep in mind that there's a 1000 mile break in period for the Ascent.
I’m hoping that’s the case. But 3/4 making the same noise to a varying, but noticeable degree doesn’t inspire confidence.

I’d looked around and was hoping to find more “yes, that groan noise goes away after several miles” type responses. However, I’m not seeing that. It seems like I’m seeing quite of few of these types of comments, that seem to allude to the same noise I’m hearing:
Font Screenshot Darkness Multimedia Terrestrial plant

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Rectangle

Product Font Communication Device Screenshot Gadget

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Document

Product Communication Device Font Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, about the brakes.. they have unresolved issues.
Well. As of today, I own a 2023 Limited. So I guess we'll see.

After a lot of driving/testing, the reality was that the groaning in my OP isn't happening enough during "normal" driving to be a real concern. I does happen. And I can make it happen a lot when I'm trying to. But I drove MORE 2023 Ascents today and they made the same noise. So 5/6 I tested make the exact same noise. Seems like it's just an "attribute". Unless it gets worse, I'm ok with it.

Now.... The rattle in the dash that popped up about halfway home... That may be another story.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well. As of today, I own a 2023 Limited. So I guess we'll see.

After a lot of driving/testing, the reality was that the groaning in my OP isn't happening enough during "normal" driving to be a real concern. I does happen. And I can make it happen a lot when I'm trying to. But I drove MORE 2023 Ascents today and they made the same noise. So 5/6 I tested make the exact same noise. Seems like it's just an "attribute". Unless it gets worse, I'm ok with it.

Now.... The rattle in the dash that popped up about halfway home... That may be another story.
There are tons of threads here about brakes. It seems to be hit or miss on if it's an issue or not. Many owners have no issues at all. I was one of the owners that nearly lost his ever loving mind with brake problems. Many owners have gone to their local parts store, replaced pads and rotors with readily available aftermarket gear and have driven off to the sunset without ever having another issue. I feel like, as talented as Subaru is, they aren't REALLY committing to fixing the problem. They are tripping over a 100 bucks to pick up a nickel. I don't think that I should pay 50K for a vehicle and then have to replace pads and rotors with after market gear to have brakes that don't sound or behave like a garbage truck.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
32 Posts
I've had zero problems with my 2022's brakes. During the break in period we were only careful with the engine speed as indicated in the manual. Have always used the brakes normally, no consideration for break-in.

That being said, I have had a similar problem with a previous car, an old Impreza 2.5RS. After servicing the brakes it went away. This included cleaning and lubricating, along with bleeding the hydraulics. I didn't replace the pads and rotors since they were in reasonable shape.

·
Super Moderator
3,846 Posts
did you happen to put sunglasses in the overhead holder before the rattle started?
I put my extra pair up there and it drove me crazy for a week. I could’ve sworn the rattle was coming from the dash…

I have yet to see a ‘23. How did you find so many?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,440 Posts
There are tons of threads here about brakes. It seems to be hit or miss on if it's an issue or not. Many owners have no issues at all. I was one of the owners that nearly lost his ever loving mind with brake problems. Many owners have gone to their local parts store, replaced pads and rotors with readily available aftermarket gear and have driven off to the sunset without ever having another issue. I feel like, as talented as Subaru is, they aren't REALLY committing to fixing the problem. They are tripping over a 100 bucks to pick up a nickel. I don't think that I should pay 50K for a vehicle and then have to replace pads and rotors with after market gear to have brakes that don't sound or behave like a garbage truck.
not true. Subaru has worked diligently to resolve brake pad issues. There have been numerous pad revisions which ultimately did fix the issues. How the brakes are broken in does matter and has appeared to be highly relevant to the owners braking experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you happen to put sunglasses in the overhead holder before the rattle started?
I put my extra pair up there and it drove me crazy for a week. I could’ve sworn the rattle was coming from the dash…

I have yet to see a ‘23. How did you find so many?
No. It’s the dash above the steering wheel. I found it, and can make it stop by putting just a touch of pressure on it. Now that I know what it is, doesn’t bother me as much. I’ll fix it or they will.

There were 10+ 2023s on the lot I bought mine at today. They had a Limited Cosmic Blue, ivory leather, with no tech package, that my wife (will be her daily) liked, so it came home.
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,846 Posts
not true. Subaru has worked diligently to resolve brake pad issues. There have been numerous pad revisions which ultimately did fix the issues. How the brakes are broken in does matter and has appeared to be highly relevant to the owners braking experience.
I hate to sideline yet another thread to a brake discourse but I think you’re both right. Subaru has issued brake pad revisions. Ascents still have brake problems. With the technology and materials available out there, I don’t believe simple brakes should be this difficult and it should not fall on the consumer to baby their brakes to have them work effectively.
However, the creaking brakes the OP described sounds like something different than the glazed rotors common to Ascents. Even a rerouted brake line due to differences in wiring throughout the vehicle could have an unintended effect on other systems so this is worth watching, especially with the ‘23my just rolling out.

Reactions: Cosmo

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had the same problem since I bought the car. It happens most often when cold weather hits when I'm almost at a complete stop. I thought it was something in the suspension system rubbing, but the service department said it's the brakes & normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts