Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we have all received those offers in the mail to trade in our Subies. I got curious and started looking around and this is what I've found from various sources.

My 2020 Ascent Touring with 29K miles. Purchased for $45k...worth about $43k to $44k on a trade in.
My 2021 Crosstrek Premium with 9k miles. Purchased for $25k...worth about $32k to $34k on a trade in.

Seriously considering trading the Crosstrek in...if I can ACTUALLY get that money. What has everyone else been seeing?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm sure we have all received those offers in the mail to trade in our Subies. I got curious and started looking around and this is what I've found from various sources.

My 2020 Ascent Touring with 29K miles. Purchased for $45k...worth about $43k to $44k on a trade in.
My 2021 Crosstrek Premium with 9k miles. Purchased for $25k...worth about $32k to $34k on a trade in.

Seriously considering trading the Crosstrek in...if I can ACTUALLY get that money. What has everyone else been seeing?
I have a similar vehicle, what's your location?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in south florida.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Font Screenshot Parallel Circle Number

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Logo

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent
1 Posts
Bought my 2021 Outback in March for $37k. Bought the Ascent on Monday and traded in the Outback for $37k with 11k miles on it. (They confirmed the VIN, but didn't look it over for scratches or drive it or anything... just took the keys.) Saw it listed on the dealer's website the next day for $47k. It's CRAZY!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,378 Posts
We recently purchased a Honda Pilot and before we went to the dealer to do business, I armed myself with some numbers on the market value of our Ascent (2020 Touring with 19k miles, in the northern VA area). Webuyanycar.com made me an email offer of $42,040 or something like that...and told me to take it to any of their local business centers to complete the transaction. Carmax made me an email offer of $42,400. Carvana made me an email offer of something like $39,500. KBB.com showed a trade value of $44k-ish.

The Honda dealer offered me $37k to start. The highest I could talk them up was $38.5. I showed them my various data points (of places that will actually spend money to buy the Ascent) and they said they just couldn't touch that number. We bought the Pilot anyway and drove the Ascent to Carmax the next day and sold it to them.

It didn't take long for them to confirm the $42,400 offer (probably just confirmed the excellent condition, good tires, etc.) and we were out the door with our check about 30 minutes later.

That's probably the easiest car sale I've ever had...and I've sold a few cars to Carmax before.

My wife said she's seeing Ascents similar to ours on Carmax's website for $48-49k, which is where I figure they'll put ours once they clean it up and take their photos.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,378 Posts
As an aside, I overheard another customer at that Honda dealer that morning talking about his trade and he told his salesman that he was driving straight over to Carmax after that because they were giving him $xx for his car. The salesman was pretty astounded. Carmax must be pretty hard up for cars right now.

@latapx I'd recommend going to Carmax.com and doing an online appraisal and just see what they'll give you. You have to give them your email address and they'll email the quote to you with a scan code. If you like the offer and carry the car in to do the deal, they'll punch in that code and it populates all the details in their computer and they basically just go out and confirm what you typed in. It's pretty legit and it's backed up with a bank draft on the spot.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
I'd recommend going to Carmax.com and doing an online appraisal and just see what they'll give you. You have to give them your email address and they'll email the quote to you with a scan code.
I’m waiting for the day their online quote system will give me an offer on my 242k mile ‘98 Bimmer. I put the cars info in and it tells me to bring it in for them to look at 😂

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,600 Posts
I’m waiting for the day their online quote system will give me an offer on my 242k mile ‘98 Bimmer. I put the cars info in and it tells me to bring it in for them to look at 😂
Not surprising...vehicles from that era are not going to have a lot of current valuation and sales statistics available.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes used car values are up. But so are new car values, and rebates are all but gone. Also the Fed raised interest rates. I saw Ford was offering 5.9% APR, and that was on NEW vehicles. In my area Subarus usually always have gone for MSRP or a bit lower with 0-1.9% APR, I believe they still are less the lower than MSRP.
In my area the Asian auto maker dealers aren't price gouging. While used cars, new Ford, GM, etc are off the hook! It's not a good look for those car brands. But as I mentioned once the Fed starts pumping the breaks, potential buyers will take a pause, inventories will rise and again car dealers will have to wheel and deal.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
22 Posts
Bought my 2021 Outback in March for $37k. Bought the Ascent on Monday and traded in the Outback for $37k with 11k miles on it. (They confirmed the VIN, but didn't look it over for scratches or drive it or anything... just took the keys.) Saw it listed on the dealer's website the next day for $47k. It's CRAZY!
My 20 limited xt was totaled, paid 36, got close to 38 before taxes with 21k on it. Crazy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The funny thing is that when we bought the Crosstrek, I was pushing for the Forester (it was more comfortable for me) but I was out voted by the Mrs. who was going to be the main driver of the car. My local dealer has 2 or 3 new Foresters in stock...possibly a premium, touring and a wilderness. VERY tempting.

I guess the question for all of the crystal ball wielding folks is...when do you foresee this going back to "normal"? I still don't see dealer inventories going up and it still seems like pretty much every market has some sort of shortage. You can't get Gatorade at the supermarket because there isn't plastic?!?

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
I guess the question for all of the crystal ball wielding folks is...when do you foresee this going back to "normal"? I
For the auto industry, my head is saying probably at least a year to either revert to what was "normal" or for the industry to morph further to a more customer order driven, no lot inventory model like most startups that are increasingly competing with the "old big names". (The strictly EV manufacturers)

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
552 Posts
or for the industry to morph further to a more customer order driven, no lot inventory model like most startups that are increasingly competing with the "old big names". (The strictly EV manufacturers)
I think the big manufacturers may try this for a while, but IMO competition will eventually push them back to the pre-pandemic model. EV mfrs have something unique enough to sustain the order-based model for that niche until it's no longer a niche. Let's face it, we're still a "want it now" market even when we can't get it now.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
That's certainly a possibility. But Electrification is quickly becoming less of a niche and moving toward mainstream. In the meantime, the buying public is getting used to the idea of factory ordering vehicles and that could become a "generational norm". It will be interested to see how this develops or not. But yes, I doubt the lots will disappear anytime soon.

·
Registered
297 Posts
As an aside, I overheard another customer at that Honda dealer that morning talking about his trade and he told his salesman that he was driving straight over to Carmax after that because they were giving him $xx for his car. The salesman was pretty astounded. Carmax must be pretty hard up for cars right now.
I did the same thing in 2020 when I bought our Ascent. I got trade in value then checked out Carmax, Vroom, KBB, and Carvana. Carmax was by far the best offer so I bought the Ascent and sold our other car to Carmax the next day. Carmax process was very efficient - took like maybe 1 hour total (about 30 mins for the appraisal, and 30 mins the next visit for a quick test drive and for them to write a check).

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
552 Posts
But Electrification is quickly becoming less of a niche and moving toward mainstream
Agreed, but I still think the battery and charging tech, (and the charging network too) has a way to go before more mainstream adoption takes place. Are we talking 5 years? 10 years? I don't know....but I do hope all this shit is way behind us in 5 years!

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Plans seem to be speeding up with the manufactures. Mercedes, for example, just said they intend to have half their sales be EVs by 2025 and 100% by 2030. Other manufacturers are moving in that more aggressive direction too. When you combine that with public and private investments in charging beyond personal charging at residences that can support it, I'm feeling there is going to be a notable acceleration of EV and plug-in hybrid sales for new vehicles coming real soon now.

Reactions: xydadx3 and rlb81
1 - 20 of 100 Posts