Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear license plate has four holes for four screws. But plate is usually held by two screws on top only.

Therefore leaving two small holes for the bottom screws open. Wouldn’t rain or other water get into the holes?

On my Forrester I use all four holes and I pulled a Plumber tread seal in the screws to make sure Moisture does not get inside.

What do people do where is the empty holes? I’m thinking just put some sort of a tape on it to make sure nothing gets inside

· Registered
220 Posts
Rear license plate has four holes for four screws. But plate is usually held by two screws on top only.

Therefore leaving two small holes for the bottom screws open. Wouldn’t rain or other water get into the holes?

On my Forrester I use all four holes and I pulled a Plumber tread seal in the screws to make sure Moisture does not get inside.

What do people do where is the empty holes? I’m thinking just put some sort of a tape on it to make sure nothing gets inside
In Wisconsin, we have 4 holes in our plates.

· Registered
965 Posts
Most doors and hatches on vehicles have a wet and dry side and are engineered to not have issues.
Exactly. If you ever pull your door panel apart, you'll find that there is a plastic sheeting running down the middle of it, held in place with adhesive caulk.

That's where most air leaks end up developing in older cars, the caulking finally dies after a few years.

· Registered
25 Posts
If the two bottom holes are available for mounting the plate, use them. The bottom of the tag can rattle if only the top mounting holes are used, and the rear liftgate can amplify that rattle into the seating area.

This issue like to drove me crazy on my Highlander until recently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.