Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea how well rated the ascent is? Knowing Subaru I think it’s probably going to be a very safe vehicle.

The reason I ask, just saw this video today https://youtu.be/HH7L85lYYN8

Hoping the ascent is better built than Ford.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I emailed the IIHS about a week ago looking for info on the Ascent, because my expectation is that this too would be an IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus (with the adaptive headlights)

They said that they currently do not have an Ascent on the agenda to crash test. While they wouldn't go into more specific detail on why this is the case, my guess is that the Ascent is in such high demand that they just can't spare one to crash. I don't know if the IIHS buys cars or if they get donated or prorated through the manufacturer, but it seems win/win for Subaru, because this could be yet another TSP+ car for them...

Maybe once the demand slows down a bit? But, (almost) everyone wants a Subaru in winter time also.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Anyone have any idea how well rated the ascent is? Knowing Subaru I think it’s probably going to be a very safe vehicle.

The reason I ask, just saw this video today https://youtu.be/HH7L85lYYN8

Hoping the ascent is better built than Ford.
So interesting note about the offset testing. IIHS did it for many yrs on the driver side. For kicks they tested the passenger side and found structure differences between driver side and passenger. So now they test both If they have enough vehicles to test.

If the Explorer had been Driver side tested it would have been ok and received a good rating.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm sure Subaru has a some cars built for crash testing. I would think in the next month or so we will see IIHS results

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't know if the IIHS buys cars or if they get donated or prorated through the manufacturer, but it seems win/win for Subaru, because this could be yet another TSP+ car for them...

Maybe once the demand slows down a bit? But, (almost) everyone wants a Subaru in winter time also.
IIHS (Insurance Institute of Highway Services) buys the cars to wreck, that way they're impartial. They get the money for this from all the sponsoring insurance companies.

And yeah, we won't talk about TSP+ right now ... stupid Forester. I can't wait for the '19's, so we can get that back again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Frankly, I'm surprised folks would be willing to fill these with their kids and their kids' friends without them ever having been tested for rollover or impact by either NHTSA or IIHS. Subarus have outstanding safety scores for current models (and Tribeca), so it seems like a 'safe' bet (no pun intended), but who bets when it comes to their kids' safety just for the bragging rights as an early adopter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can anyone who has already taken delivery relate to how it changed their insurance rating and cost?

I haven’t taken delivery yet but I did get a quote from my insurance company. I have USAA and I’m only seeing an increase of 17$ per month from my 11 year old Chrysler Aspen. I have full coverage and all the extras like new car replacement, rental coverage...$90 per month...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can anyone who has already taken delivery relate to how it changed their insurance rating and cost?

I haven’t taken delivery yet but I did get a quote from my insurance company. I have USAA and I’m only seeing an increase of 17$ per month from my 11 year old Chrysler Aspen. I have full coverage and all the extras like new car replacement, rental coverage...$90 per month...
We're USAA too. We were quoted $30 more for the whole 6mo from our 2007 Civic. Couldn't believe it but it's because of the safety features.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I emailed the IIHS about a week ago looking for info on the Ascent, because my expectation is that this too would be an IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus (with the adaptive headlights)

They said that they currently do not have an Ascent on the agenda to crash test. While they wouldn't go into more specific detail on why this is the case, my guess is that the Ascent is in such high demand that they just can't spare one to crash. I don't know if the IIHS buys cars or if they get donated or prorated through the manufacturer, but it seems win/win for Subaru, because this could be yet another TSP+ car for them...

If it crash tested good, they would have one and Subaru would be advertising it like crazy. Interesting this hasn't come up before, everybody was just glossy eyed over the 3rd row space and seat extender.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Frankly, I'm surprised folks would be willing to fill these with their kids and their kids' friends without them ever having been tested for rollover or impact by either NHTSA or IIHS. Subarus have outstanding safety scores for current models (and Tribeca), so it seems like a 'safe' bet (no pun intended), but who bets when it comes to their kids' safety just for the bragging rights as an early adopter.
Subaru is typically recommended for safety and the new cars they have have all been rated very highly. I don't think the Ascent will change that as they have said their goal was Top Safety Pick + from IIHS. This is one of the reasons why I'm willing to take a chance on this vehicle compared to others. They also thought enough to apparently test rear crashes for the third row. Many of the vehicles have a third row that is very close to the rear glass window (CX-9) and I would think that would be dangerous. This is not tested by the IIHS but I'm beginning to wonder if they should test with dummies in all three rows for all testing.

·
Registered
597 Posts
We're USAA too. We were quoted $30 more for the whole 6mo from our 2007 Civic. Couldn't believe it but it's because of the safety features.
It costs more because in minor accidents it will cost more to fix especially compared to a 2007 Civic which would probably be totaled with a minimal payout.

I have the same thing with my 2005 Xterra. It is worth say 5,000 on the highest end so a payout would be nothing if I wrecked it. A new Ascent would need to be fixed at high cost or replaced at a high cost compared to my old car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It costs more because in minor accidents it will cost more to fix especially compared to a 2007 Civic which would probably be totaled with a minimal payout.

I have the same thing with my 2005 Xterra. It is worth say 5,000 on the highest end so a payout would be nothing if I wrecked it. A new Ascent would need to be fixed at high cost or replaced at a high cost compared to my old car.
That's what I meant! (I see now that it reads like I was annoyed) I couldn't believe our new nearly $40k car would only be $5 more per month than our junky old Civic. SO I'm thrilled!!! We're impressed that the safety features pretty much level out the cost to insure a more expensive car.

·
Registered
764 Posts
But stop and look what people are trading in. If you compare pretty much anything that is a 2018-2019 model years car from any manufacturer it is going to be safer than the exact same model from 2008-2009.

Cars are getting safer. Even if they aren't a "Top safety pick" its more than likely safer than what they were previously driving.

·
Registered
978 Posts
But stop and look what people are trading in. If you compare pretty much anything that is a 2018-2019 model years car from any manufacturer it is going to be safer than the exact same model from 2008-2009.

Cars are getting safer. Even if they aren't a "Top safety pick" its more than likely safer than what they were previously driving.
Except in some cases. My Sequoia is a rare one having posted zero deaths crash history. Even being as old as it is with updated recalled airbags its still one of the safest rides out there. Would I replace it with a vehicle with poor offset or other poor crash test results? No. Its the family hauler thats its job if it gets poor ratings its piss poor at doing its number 1 purpose.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Except in some cases. My Sequoia is s rare one having posted zero deaths crash history. Even being as old as it is with updated recalled airbags its still one of the safest rides out there.
Here is the report that shows your data from 2009-2011.

http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr5001.pdf

I'm not saying the Sequoia is not safe by any means but I don't know if I'd use this metric to prove the safety worthiness of a vehicle. Its the same basic set up as the Tundra which has had 18 deaths. The same is true with the Legacy/Outback. Legacy has 0 deaths, the Outback has 6 even though they are almost identical cars.

But if you crash test a 2005 Sequoia and a 2018 Sequoia you will see much better results in the newer car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Except in some cases. My Sequoia is a rare one having posted zero deaths crash history. Even being as old as it is with updated recalled airbags its still one of the safest rides out there. Would I replace it with a vehicle with poor offset or other poor crash test results? No. Its the family hauler thats its job if it gets poor ratings its piss poor at doing its number 1 purpose.

Is it really? My poor old truck has been good to me. It is still working hard, waiting for my new Ascent to get here, then my husband will take it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts