Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo back in 2019 August, I bought a Ascent Limited to replace my 2004 Odyssey. It's a great car overall. But within the last 1 year, I've had the battery drain TWICE. Has this happened to anyone else? Do these come from the dealer with crappy batteries? I went to start the car yesterday and nothing. Had to wait 5 minutes when jumpstarting before the car had enough juice to start up. Ironically, it was the Odyssey that started the new "reliable" car up. Advanced Auto guy said battery health is "good" but it's not putting out it's max.. By the time I had jump started the car, I had the car running for a bit so the battery charged up just enough to pass that test.

Will Subaru replace this battery for me? I'm taking it to the dealer next week but have a feeling they're gonna be like "oh, the battery health is good. No need for a battery." If Subaru replaces the battery, will it be with the same crappy battery?

Let me know if anyone else encountered a similar issue.

Take care!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There's the weak OEM batterty and there's also a parasitic drain that some people experience when they leave the hatch open for long periods of time. It's likely your problems will go away with a better battery. There is a TSB that may fix the parasitic drain issue. Some people have had success with having Subaru reimburse them for a replacement battery.

This is the best way I could get all these topics quickly into a link:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I highly recommend you join the Facebook group called Subaru Ascent Dead Battery Club - with over 600 members. Many have had dead battery issues and there is a class action lawsuit going on over it. You should get an upgraded battery like the Odyssey or Optima Yellow Top.. In addition, you will need to carry a jump starter. I use a carabiner in the locking mechanism when I have my hatch opened for more than 2 hours. Be sure to watch the video to ensure you do this workaround correctly.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This is a huge topic of discussion on this forum. Just do a quick search and you'll be overwhelmed with posts on it. There is a TSB for it that I had done, and right afterward my battery was fully drained. It only happens once in a while and I've not yet discovered the cause.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The TSB fixed the excess current draw with the TG open on my '19 Ascent. I did drain my battery by accidentally turning on an rear dome light, which killed the battery after two days. The dome lights can be turned on by pressing on them and will stay on. I had unknowingly hit it and turned it on when loading some stuff. The only way to check it is to close all the doors and wait for all the lights to go out. If one of the dome lights doesn't, it's switched on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's the weak OEM batterty and there's also a parasitic drain that some people experience when they leave the hatch open for long periods of time. It's likely your problems will go away with a better battery. There is a TSB that may fix the parasitic drain issue. Some people have had success with having Subaru reimburse them for a replacement battery.

This is the best way I could get all these topics quickly into a link:
So were you able to get your dealership to purchase a new battery? I'm thinking about talking to my Service Advisor and telling him I want a reimbursement so I can buy a high quality battery at Costco or another shop. What battery did you go with?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The TSB fixed the excess current draw with the TG open on my '19 Ascent. I did drain my battery by accidentally turning on an rear dome light, which killed the battery after two days. The dome lights can be turned on by pressing on them and will stay on. I had unknowingly hit it and turned it on when loading some stuff. The only way to check it is to close all the doors and wait for all the lights to go out. If one of the dome lights doesn't, it's switched on.
I've got to check that dome light. I thought it automatically turns off when the car is off but maybe it doesn't? I'll check in the AM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a huge topic of discussion on this forum. Just do a quick search and you'll be overwhelmed with posts on it. There is a TSB for it that I had done, and right afterward my battery was fully drained. It only happens once in a while and I've not yet discovered the cause.
Thanks. I took the car in for service about a month ago because there was black smoke coming from the exhaust sometimes when I started the car. Apparently that's common now?

He told me there were not outstanding TSBs but I guess I'll have to check again. This is a '19 model purchased end of August.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've got to check that dome light. I thought it automatically turns off when the car is off but maybe it doesn't? I'll check in the AM
If you haven't already, replacing the interior bulbs with LEDs helps also in case one gets left on. Very easy and affordable.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So were you able to get your dealership to purchase a new battery? I'm thinking about talking to my Service Advisor and telling him I want a reimbursement so I can buy a high quality battery at Costco or another shop. What battery did you go with?
My OEM battery was OK. I'm just aware of the issues that some people have had, and what they have done about it. I had one long crank start early on in ownership, but my battery never died. I preemptively replaced it several months ago with an Optima Red Top. I found a coupon with free next day delivery so I took advantage. I did not seek reimbursement as I didn't really have any case.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On mine, the passenger dome lights come on with a door open and turn off with the doors closed after a delay... but I can turn them permanently on by pushing and clicking them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As LynnP stated join the Dead Battery group read the posts, there are many including mine on talking with Subaru Customer service and gettting battery replacement reimbursed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As LynnP stated join the Dead Battery group read the posts, there are many including mine on talking with Subaru Customer service and gettting battery replacement reimbursed.
Thank you. Car died again today. Can't wait to dump this battery. Gonna order a battery ASAP and figure out how to get into contact with Subaru USA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sooo back in 2019 August, I bought a Ascent Limited to replace my 2004 Odyssey. It's a great car overall. But within the last 1 year, I've had the battery drain TWICE. Has this happened to anyone else? Do these come from the dealer with crappy batteries? I went to start the car yesterday and nothing. Had to wait 5 minutes when jumpstarting before the car had enough juice to start up. Ironically, it was the Odyssey that started the new "reliable" car up. Advanced Auto guy said battery health is "good" but it's not putting out it's max.. By the time I had jump started the car, I had the car running for a bit so the battery charged up just enough to pass that test.

Will Subaru replace this battery for me? I'm taking it to the dealer next week but have a feeling they're gonna be like "oh, the battery health is good. No need for a battery." If Subaru replaces the battery, will it be with the same crappy battery?

Let me know if anyone else encountered a similar issue.

Take care!
I had a battery die after a year on my 2020. it charged up once or twice and then wouldn't hold. caused weird issues with the car, so be careful. subaru replaced it, but it was clearly toast by then.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I had to replace mine this past spring after it just wore out, but it was free because I have AAA and I just paid the small installation fee that the AAA tech charged. The bad news the dead killed my rear lift gate and I had to take it to a local dealership to get it fixed. To add insult to injury my spare key fob disappeared into thin air and that cost me a total of $400 to get a replacement key fob at the Dealership where I bought my Ascent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts