Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had the issue of your windshield just cracking for no reason? My car is a 2019 with only 15,000 miles on it and the windshield cracked out of no where. It was a small crack but now it is expanding. Do you know if the dealer will replace it for free? This is the 2nd time I am going to have my windshield fixed. The first time a rock hit it but in a different spot than where this new crack is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No, my windshield cracked for impact reasons. It would help to post a picture of the crack. There were a few with cracks initiating at the edges that were replaced under warranty. However the last windshield picture that was posted had a definite impact that caused the crack.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
@LaurieF Try the search bar for windshield cracks. There have been a a few discussions. Personally I’ve had 2 chips which were definitely from rocks and they were both repaired without spreading. The 2nd one was chipped for about 6mos

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Has anyone else had the issue of your windshield just cracking for no reason? My car is a 2019 with only 15,000 miles on it and the windshield cracked out of no where. It was a small crack but now it is expanding. Do you know if the dealer will replace it for free? This is the 2nd time I am going to have my windshield fixed. The first time a rock hit it but in a different spot than where this new crack is.
Mileage has nothing to do with cracking causation. You can have an impact on the windshield within a few miles of driving off the dealer lot (truly maddening) A manufacturer defect on the other hand may show up as a crack under certain environmental conditions or unusual auto movement stresses.

If you drive the roads, you will definitely have some rocks hit the windshield. Luck of the draw as to which one will do harm and when.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The dealer will do the "pen" check for a rock chip. I am relatively certain that since this is the second time the windshield in the Ascent has been replaced, it will not be covered by the dealer. Sorry to hear about that. You should definitely find an insurance company that offers glass insurance, but many insurers are eliminating that extra coverage because of the expense of the windshields with the sensing systems on most vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine cracked due to a rock impact (2019 Touring). Just a bit of warning: in replacing the windshield though, the glass company (Safelite) has had a heck of of a time getting the rain sensor intermittent wiper function to operate correctly. I've had to take it back to them 4 times! They've been really nice and apologetic, but they struggled to get it to work right. They's replace the windshield 3 times! They seem to have finally gotten it right (as of yesterday) when they replaced the (2nd) aftermarket windshield with an OEM Subaru windshield. They said something about the brackets on the windshield around the rain module being part of the problem. I did have to push them to test the heck out of it to make sure the rain sensor was working right. Anyway-- if you have that feature on your Ascent, you might want to mention it to the glass company if they have to replace your windshield!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I hate windshields. Amazes me in 2020, we haven’t come up with something better than glass.
I mean seriously. How about putting some R&D into something better! Infuriating.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was wondering about that too. I've been thru a few windshields on various cars and I always noted that the glass quality from these window replacement shops are poor. One time on my 1 year old suburban they replaced the windshield and within a month the window was pitted everywhere.. it looked like it was 30 years old. They claimed it was normal.. Can we not just go to the dealer and get them to do it with OEM windows? Better parts (usually) and if the darn thing gets pitted quickly at least the warranty kicks in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer will do the "pen" check for a rock chip. I am relatively certain that since this is the second time the windshield in the Ascent has been replaced, it will not be covered by the dealer. Sorry to hear about that. You should definitely find an insurance company that offers glass insurance, but many insurers are eliminating that extra coverage because of the expense of the windshields with the sensing systems on most vehicles.
I was wondering about that too. I've been thru a few windshields on various cars and I always noted that the glass quality from these window replacement shops are poor. One time on my 1 year old suburban they replaced the windshield and within a month the window was pitted everywhere.. it looked like it was 30 years old. They claimed it was normal.. Can we not just go to the dealer and get them to do it with OEM windows? Better parts (usually) and if the darn thing gets pitted quickly at least the warranty kicks in.
I had the first one repaired by Gerber Glass and they had to use the authentic Subaru glass. I am just surprised it cracked already.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Our 3mo old Ascent has pits all over and both the wife and I are very careful around the big semis and cars on the road after the damn plows put gravel down. I really hate it. Few things about vehicles in CO infuriate me more than heavily pitted windshields. The insurance carriers here are or already have dropped any sort of coverage / separate glass riders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went thru my insurance the first time so I had to pay my deductible. Ill see what the dealer says now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, my windshield cracked for impact reasons. It would help to post a picture of the crack. There were a few with cracks initiating at the edges that were replaced under warranty. However the last windshield picture that was posted had a definite impact that caused the crack.
I just posted a few.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hate to be picky but you need to include the rest of the crack as it goes to the edge of the glass. This portion of the windshield is easy enough to see from the outside.

Also to clarify did you have the windshield fixed or replaced? If replaced who did the work? When was it replaced?

My thoughts:
-The location where it appears the crack is coming from there does not appear to be any stress risers that would act on the glass.
  • If the rest of the crack all the way to the edge does not show any signs of impact, then you might have a claim against who replaced the windshield.
  • If it has been a long time since the windshield was replaced or if it was never replaced, it is unlikely a flaw in the glass or the installation.
  • If the windshield was replaced very recently and does not show signs of impact then it bolsters your claim against the glass installer.
  • Your glass installer may turn you down for a new windshield regardless of what may have caused it and then you have to decide if you have a case and if it is worth going to court.
  • When dealing with folks and trying to get something done under warranty it is far better to be nice with humility than aggressive and jump on them with both feet when you walk in the door.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
Can we not just go to the dealer and get them to do it with OEM windows?
For the Ascent and other Subarus, you absolutely want OEM glass...because of EyeSight. And after the new glass is installed, there's a required realignment of EyeSight that needs to be done. If your insurance company is pushing for non-OEM glass..."just say no", citing the potential compromise of safety features which could potentially cost them a lot more at some point.

Reactions: ratbag

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hate to be picky but you need to include the rest of the crack as it goes to the edge of the glass. This portion of the windshield is easy enough to see from the outside.

Also to clarify did you have the windshield fixed or replaced? If replaced who did the work? When was it replaced?

My thoughts:
-The location where it appears the crack is coming from there does not appear to be any stress risers that would act on the glass.
  • If the rest of the crack all the way to the edge does not show any signs of impact, then you might have a claim against who replaced the windshield.
  • If it has been a long time since the windshield was replaced or if it was never replaced, it is unlikely a flaw in the glass or the installation.
  • If the windshield was replaced very recently and does not show signs of impact then it bolsters your claim against the glass installer.
  • Your glass installer may turn you down for a new windshield regardless of what may have caused it and then you have to decide if you have a case and if it is worth going to court.
  • When dealing with folks and trying to get something done under warranty it is far better to be nice with humility than aggressive and jump on them with both feet when you walk in the door.
It was fixed in August by Gerber Glass. They are coming to look at it tomorrow. They replaced the whole windshield in august.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my windshield crack at 2,500 miles. No rocks or chips... it started as a 3" crack and after 10 days was over 2 feet. I took it to my dealer Subarusuperstore in Chandler AZ. Their service was excellent and was replaced with factory glass. That was over 20,000 miles ago.. no problems since. There was an issue and my dealer gladly fixed it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
13k on my 2019 Limited and had the moonroof crack but couldn’t see it from the outside, only inside. And you couldn’t feel anything. Windshield holding well, fingers now crossed ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's my post of January, 2019:

"The same thing happened to my Ascent Touring. [A crack in the sunroof]. My wife and I were driving a couple of days ago and heard a loud crack. Since we couldn't see any obvious damage we continued driving. After we got home I noticed a hairline crack in the sunroof. It was about six inches long and was somewhat curved starting at the upper left above the front passenger's head. No visible sign of an impact but I could feel a small crack on the inside, but not crack on the outside. I will take it to the dealer later today to see what they say. I'll post the results."

The dealer did replace the sunroof at no charge.

Good luck,

Eric

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
For the Ascent and other Subarus, you absolutely want OEM glass...because of EyeSight. And after the new glass is installed, there's a required realignment of EyeSight that needs to be done. If your insurance company is pushing for non-OEM glass..."just say no", citing the potential compromise of safety features which could potentially cost them a lot more at some point.
Since Subaru requires OEM glass to be installed, the insurance must use OEM, and cover the recalibration as well. Your insurance contract will dictate your deductable. Currently there is no aftermarket Ascent windshield glass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't driven my 2019 Ascent for a few days due to the quarantines
and trying to stay inside.
I got in tonight to pickup dinner at a local BBQ spot with a drive through
and the windshield had a three foot crack from the middle of the left side
almost to the middle of the windshield,
and there's no nick or obvious pebble hit.
Since I have been just driving locally at less than 50 mp,
and there's very little traffic and no bumps or potholes,
I'm at a loss as to how this happened.

The dealer is at least 15 or 20 miles away
and I don't want a visiting windshield company to do it.

I'm also afraid to have anyone get near or in the car now
and leave corona virus residue
as my husband is immune compromised,
and if I get it,
he will get it and die for sure.
(I know five people with it now in another state and one is on a ventilator)
Very upset.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts