Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was driving down the road about 3 weeks ago, very windy day. I saw an object fly towards me, no idea what it was or from where....all of a sudden I had small round shaped multiple cracks in my windshield...driver lower corner....I pulled over and looked around, I was under a walnut tree. So it appears that a walnut blew out of the tree and cracked my windshield, which has now continued to break along half the distance of windshield. I’ve been waiting to see what pans out with my transmission before I pay for new windshield....I’m speaking to SOA about getting rid of the Ascent due to multiple transmission issues. No sense turning in insurance windshield claim if I am not keeping the car . Moral of the story is that I’ve never had a windshield crack from driving under a walnut tree!
I had my original windshield replaced by Safelite and Eyesight calibrated by Subaru dealer. CSAA insurance covered it all by my $100 deductible. A year later on the replacement windshield and it's still without chips or cracks. I did contact SOA at the time but without resolution on their part. My Touring has an appt for the latest transmission recall but I haven't had any problems so am not concerned. Bought my Subie in Dec 2019, so being an "early adopter" comes with potential new model problems. Love my Ascent anyway!!

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
You know this reporter Robert?
Here's another example. After his string of recent, incorrect, and heavily sensationalized hate posts, he's done a few love posts in a row, including this gem.

It's all click bait. When someone is such a horribly unreliable "journalist", I won't share any of their posts, whether praise, hate, or supposedly informative, because I cannot trust in the accuracy of the content. There's a difference between not knowing a car well and writing reviews that are a little off, or having biases that affect reviews... but his site is, in many people's opinions, nothing but inciteful click bait focusing on the extreme emotions on each side of any car debate. Do you love Subaru and think they're the most reliable SUVs? He's got you covered. Hate them and think they're unreliable? Just wait a day, and he's got you covered too.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I am going to call too tomorrow.
3rd windshield this year, never had one in 25 years of driving before.
I have a 2019 ascent limited.
I do not know any of your details of under what circumstances your windshield cracked to begin with.

What do you know for sure that occurred to cause the crack, what do you suspect occurred and what evidence is there for any conclusions?

Windshields crack all the time for all models and all auto manufacturers each and every year, but occasionally there is a true glass defect. What is the fact profile that indicates to you that it is a defect?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to call too tomorrow.
3rd windshield this year, never had one in 25 years of driving before.
I have a 2019 ascent limited.
I had 2 cracked windshields on my 2019 Touring in June 2020. I heard a “ping” both times. I was advised to and did buy the windshield protection policy when I bought the vehicle, which ended up paying for itself. but I had to initiate the claim before the crack got to 6”, which it does rapidly. I wonder if all the technology in these new windshields call for a glass that is ultimately more vulnerable.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I had 2 cracked windshields on my 2019 Touring in June 2020. I heard a “ping” both times. I was advised to and did buy the windshield protection policy when I bought the vehicle, which ended up paying for itself. but I had to initiate the claim before the crack got to 6”, which it does rapidly. I wonder if all the technology in these new windshields call for a glass that is ultimately more vulnerable.
this topic has been extensively covered in this forum and elsewhere on the internet. Windshields of today are nothing like those of years past. They are much lighter (fuel efficiency), installed at a lower angle (fuel efficiency), are engineered for improved safety, larger surface area, and sound resistance. The added technology for rain sensing etc. would not specifically impact vulnerability for cracking. It does increase replacement costs.

Add into this mix the significant increase in road traffic and the worsening condition of our roads in many locales provides an environment for increased risk of cracking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this topic has been extensively covered in this forum and elsewhere on the internet. Windshields of today are nothing like those of years past. They are much lighter (fuel efficiency), installed at a lower angle (fuel efficiency), are engineered for improved safety, larger surface area, and sound resistance. The added technology for rain sensing etc. would not specifically impact vulnerability for cracking. It does increase replacement costs.

Add into this mix the significant increase in road traffic and the worsening condition of our roads in many locales provides an environment for increased risk of cracking.
I did read this entire thread. What I was stating about the technology in the windshield was that perhaps that demanded a type of glass that is more susceptible to cracking. I’d like to add, both of my cracks were hits on the very far outsides of the windshield, you could not see the hit from inside the vehicle. Not until the crack crept across into view. Oddly, one of these cracked events was on a road trip that was bookended by 2 Falken tire blowouts within 3 days. That was one crappy Ascent weekend!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Funny, I am in the middle of repairing my windshield little crack while reading this. 5 more minutes till the next step...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did read this entire thread. What I was stating about the technology in the windshield was that perhaps that demanded a type of glass that is more susceptible to cracking. I’d like to add, both of my cracks were hits on the very far outsides of the windshield, you could not see the hit from inside the vehicle. Not until the crack crept across into view. Oddly, one of these cracked events was on a road trip that was bookended by 2 Falken tire blowouts within 3 days. That was one crappy Ascent weekend!
Just got my windshield cracked... (debris from all the potholes on NY City highways...) started on the bottom of driver´s side and quickly escalated into a 8-10 ".... working w dealer for a replacement out of packet and the reimbursement from Geico. Let's hope it covers all of it.
Decide it to go the dealer route not to get stuck with eye-sight problems not covered in the future, Fingers crossed

41 - 51 of 51 Posts