Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was driving down the road about 3 weeks ago, very windy day. I saw an object fly towards me, no idea what it was or from where....all of a sudden I had small round shaped multiple cracks in my windshield...driver lower corner....I pulled over and looked around, I was under a walnut tree. So it appears that a walnut blew out of the tree and cracked my windshield, which has now continued to break along half the distance of windshield. I’ve been waiting to see what pans out with my transmission before I pay for new windshield....I’m speaking to SOA about getting rid of the Ascent due to multiple transmission issues. No sense turning in insurance windshield claim if I am not keeping the car . Moral of the story is that I’ve never had a windshield crack from driving under a walnut tree!
26 Posts
#20 a moment ago
Edit
  • New
Anglo2000 said:
I wonder about the windshield, parked at work, no extreme temperatures. Four hours later twelve inch crack appeared then the next morning it was most of the way across the windshield. Dealer insisted it was a rock chip in the lower part of the windshield behind the hood but an odd place for that to happen. Needless to say I never noticed anything hit the car.
I had a similar windshield crack with a new ascent less than 1000 miles within a month of getting it. Since i travel highway i assumed that it might have been hit by a rock from trucks. Now seeing others posts it looks like it has to do with the product itself. Mine very similar to @Sgodett. A small chip behind the wiper blade on the passenger side. It was not easily noticeable from inside the car. Got the windshield replaced in Subaru dealership. Now after 2 weeks of windshield replacement i had water sloshing underneath the driver seat area and is still not being diagnosed by the dealership. I have raised the issue with SOA as well.
@Robert.Mauro
Do you think this as a rare coincidence or some issue with Ascent manufacturing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was driving down the road about 3 weeks ago, very windy day. I saw an object fly towards me, no idea what it was or from where....all of a sudden I had small round shaped multiple cracks in my windshield...driver lower corner....I pulled over and looked around, I was under a walnut tree. So it appears that a walnut blew out of the tree and cracked my windshield, which has now continued to break along half the distance of windshield. I’ve been waiting to see what pans out with my transmission before I pay for new windshield....I’m speaking to SOA about getting rid of the Ascent due to multiple transmission issues. No sense turning in insurance windshield claim if I am not keeping the car . Moral of the story is that I’ve never had a windshield crack from driving under a walnut tree!
I had a similar windshield crack with a new ascent less than 1000 miles within a month of getting it. Since i travel highway i assumed that it might have been hit by a rock from trucks. Now seeing others posts it looks like it has to do with the product itself. Mine very similar to @Sgodett. A small chip behind the wiper blade on the passenger side. It was not easily noticeable from inside the car. Got the windshield replaced in Subaru dealership. Now after 2 weeks of windshield replacement i had water sloshing underneath the driver seat area and is still not being diagnosed by the dealership. I have raised the issue with SOA as well.
@Robert.Mauro Do you think this as a rare coincidence or some issue with Ascent manufacturing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Update: Called insurance. Whole thing is covered as one claim. Glass is $550 and recalibration is $375. Subaru told spouse it prob wouldn’t need recalibration. But of course they are wrong. WTH?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I
26 Posts
#20 a moment ago
Edit
  • New
@Robert.Mauro Do you think this as a rare coincidence or some issue with Ascent manufacturing?
I have a Landrover with a large chip from last year and it has not developed into a crack and is parked outside year round. Also my last 2012 Outback had the same thing. I mentioned to the service Tech that I speculated that maybe the windshield fit when installed may have caused stressing in the glass but his response was that it was a chip that caused it. I was probably talking to the wrong audience as that was a question for a design engineer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
638 Posts
My crack is gaining ground like a chia pet,hope it doesn’t cross my line of sight ?? that would be annoying.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
743 Posts
My crack is gaining ground like a chia pet,hope it doesn’t cross my line of sight ?? that would be annoying.
I once had a small chip grow over 2' the first time I backed out of the garage into sub freezing temps. Luckily it was along the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
So the fy2020 proposed Virginia budget removes the state’s annual vehicle safety inspections. Large cracks will result in a rejection sticker (which is ironically removed along with the broken windshield). I’m wondering, if it passes, if I’m going to start seeing a lot more people driving around with a broken windshield (myself included with my dime size chip)?

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Any comments or suggestions?
There don't seem to be a lot of complaints, considering around 120,000 Ascents out there.

As a matter of fact, there seem to be more CVT issues, and those ended up being about exactly what I said they'd be. Two tenth's of a percent. So, if that's any indication, the number of windshield issues is even smaller.

I'd chalk that up to bad luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My post was part of another discussion but bringing it here for everyone to know what i am facing.

I am having the water issue in my Ascent 2020. Purchased the car end of October 2019 and had to replace the windshield after a month assuming a rock hit from a truck on a highway (did not hear or see anything hit though while driving). Went to the dealer near my place (purchased in another dealership 50 miles away) and got the windshield replaced with car being left for 2 days in the dealership. Thought the dealer had done a good job. It rained every now and then past couple of weeks with some snow as well. Car parked at street level no slopes. Since last week started hearing water slushing near the doors/dashboard and did not pay attention really. However did notice that due to freezing weather there was very high frost/condensation on the inside on windshield, side windows as well. Had to defrost windshield for about 5-10 minutes to get it cleared. Last week there was a heavy downpour and the water slushing became very loud on the way back from work in the evening. I checked the floor mats and found water soaked underneath the driver seat and spreading behind to the second row with wet floors. No water on the passenger sides both front and back. I am worried whether this was caused by faulty repair on the left side of the windshield by the dealer. Left the car next day with the dealer and waiting for the dealership to respond. Escalated the issue with SOA for their assistance. They gave me a forester loaner but i had requested a 7 seater loaner or rental for a trip i had planned this week with friends. Both the dealership and SOA have not been helpful to me right from the beginning even with providing me a 7 seater. Its been 6 days already and they haven't figured out the water issue as well.

What should i do now? I feel i made a mistake going for Subaru. What happened to Subaru's credential and popularity for safety, longevity and customer service. New buyers should be careful if you're looking to get one from Subaru esp. the ascent model.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There don't seem to be a lot of complaints, considering around 120,000 Ascents out there.

As a matter of fact, there seem to be more CVT issues, and those ended up being about exactly what I said they'd be. Two tenth's of a percent. So, if that's any indication, the number of windshield issues is even smaller.

I'd chalk that up to bad luck.
Yeah it might be bad luck too. I don't think people are worried spending for windshield replacement thru insurance which is mere $50-100 deductible in most cases. Not the same with CVT which is not covered by insurance, expensive to replace and people have to get it to the dealership and report it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Apparently there’s a lawsuit against Subaru on faulty windshields where they’re cracking for no reason unless stated if it was struck or shows signs that it was struck by an object.The report doesn’t mention the Ascent but the way things are going I wouldn’t be surprised that we’re next.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Apparently there’s a lawsuit against Subaru on faulty windshields where they’re cracking for no reason unless stated if it was struck or shows signs that it was struck by an object.The report doesn’t mention the Ascent but the way things are going I wouldn’t be surprised that we’re next.
Good ol Denis.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
You know this reporter Robert?
Denis Flierl usually has a love hate relationship with Subaru. Lately it's been hate and click bait.

One person sues, and he's goes all out on writing an article.

Used to be every other article was a love article, and every other one was a hate one.

Look at these sensationalized misinformation posts.

I've offered him accurate information, but I guess that doesn't help him get traffic.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Should we be alarmed with this windshield issue?
Is Subaru installing the safest windshields in our vehicle?
I mean one contact from a pebble or small stone and there goes your windshield.In my case I heard the object hit so when I was able to inspect the crack I saw where it hit.It hit right at edge of the glass by the A pillar,the impact spot- about 1/3 the size of a BB pellet.Maybe Subaru windshields doesn’t like getting hit on the edges,I have 3 other small chips on the windshield that never worsened so go figure.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thank goodness we have you Robert as a moderator to set things straight and put ppls minds at ease,well to those who will LISTEN.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Whats funny is how I’ve accessed the forum looking for a solution to the “Spoken Speed Limit” reminder & the windshield thing and both times they were the ‘Recent Threads/Post’ to pop up,gotta love it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I can not imagine that a class action suit for windshield defects occurs organically. It just doesn't happen. More likely thosd law firm instigated it hoping Subaru would settle rather than go through the expense. With these types of suites if they prevail, the lawyers make a killing and the windshield owners get pennies. I had my windshield replaced at my expense. In my case I know a small rock hit it and later despite filling it the crack expanded. With most drivers driving on roads that are crowded with other cars as well as increases speeds on our roads we are statistically more vulnerable to being hit. We may or may not realize it at the time. In addition, there will always be some small percentage of defective glass that is produced and then installed in every manufacturers" model lines. There is no escaping that fact. None of that in itself is an indicator of Subaru negligence in either production or warranty. Careful forensic analysis will be needed to determine a defect in the glass manufacturing process and in addition that Subaru knew this but ignored it. Good luck with that. Subaru has no incentive to use defective windshields in their vehicles. I also wonder which other manufacturers' vehicles this glass producer provides windshield for and whether any of those auto manufacturers are experiencing problems. If the OEM manufacturer is not experiencing any other problems with their process it is much more likely that this is nothing more than an effort to gin up a larger class action population without ever going to trial.
OEM windshield manufacturers

·
Registered
638 Posts
When ever I come across a class action suit like this I’m reminded of the series ‘Better Call Saul’ ?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts