Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Less than 800 miles, 2.5 weeks old. Didn't hear anything. Only saw a crack yesterday which continues to grow. Over my decades of driving I have never had anything like this occur. Rocks hit and bounce, without a crack on all my other cars. Is there something particularly sensitive about the Ascent windshield? I took it in today to Subaru, got a quote for a new windshield. I have a Touring so it has special sensors in the glass and the Eyesight will need to be re-calibrated. According to the service estimate, it's the freight that's most expensive. I have glass coverage on my insurance with a $100 deductible but that isn't the point. I am now concerned about the future fragility of this windshield over time and use. Any others with glass issues?

1/9/19 Today's crack expanded past the mirror.

Attachments

Reactions: Bala

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Less than 800 miles, 2.5 weeks old. Didn't hear anything. Only saw a crack yesterday which continues to grow. Over my decades of driving I have never had anything like this occur. Rocks hit and bounce, without a crack on all my other cars. Is there something particularly sensitive about the Ascent windshield? I took it in today to Subaru, got a quote for a new windshield. I have a Touring so it has special sensors in the glass and the Eyesight will need to be re-calibrated. According to the service estimate, it's the freight that's most expensive. I have glass coverage on my insurance with a $100 deductible but that isn't the point. I am now concerned about the future fragility of this windshield over time and use. Any others with glass issues?
Call Subaru of America, and discuss this with them. 1-800-Subaru3.

·
Registered
965 Posts
In your third picture, it looks like there was an impact star straight out from your 1" on the tape. If so, then it's probably an insurance claim. If it actually started under the molding, then it's an SOA issue. (See the Outback forum for the windshield threads about Eyesight windshields.)

I had a customer have a rock go THROUGH his windshield the first weekend he had it. (Car ahead of him went off the road, spun his wheels, and sent a rock flying backwards at 80 mph. So just like a small bullet hitting the windshield at 160 mph. Didn't break the windshield or crack it - just went right through it.)

I've also had multiple Outback customers have windshields being replaced due to impacts. Got one customer who lives out in the country on his fourth windshield, simply due to small flying rocks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Carl. We heard nothing hit the window. The crack just appeared. Dealer sent me to my insurance company. Appt next week with Safelite for OEM Glass replacement and testing and calibration. Torn between going through my dealer or to the insurance company recommendation of Safelite. Eyesight and all the safety features, including the rain sensors in glass, sure complicate the process! I've been told by many there is no danger in the window collapsing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thank you Carl. We heard nothing hit the window. The crack just appeared. Dealer sent me to my insurance company. Appt next week with Safelite for OEM Glass replacement and testing and calibration. Torn between going through my dealer or to the insurance company recommendation of Safelite. Eyesight and all the safety features, including the rain sensors in glass, sure complicate the process! I've been told by many there is no danger in the window collapsing.

Safelite will order the glass from Subaru. And as of a few weeks ago, Safelite did not have the ability to calibrate Eyesight. So again you will have to go do the dealership for that. I drove with a 20" crack for over two months. 5 weeks for the glass to arrive, 3 weeks of that was because I left town the day before the windshield arrived and I was out of town for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomorrow's appointment with Safelite will be 4-6 hrs (they say) to replace the windshield and recalibrate Eyesight. I did go to SOA with a complaint and concern about the crack. They said they would consider helping with the deductible since it is a 2 week old car. I'll report back.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I will note that I have no recollection from many decades ago of so many windshields cracking, chipping and being replaced other than in the context of an auto accident. It is hard to imagine that the technology is inferior so I suspect that it has to do with the size and installation angle of modern windshields. Safelight not being ready to calibrate is correct (other glass companies are in the same position). They will however coordinate the complete install and calibration with the dealer. Just check that it is OEM when the job is complete.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it sounds like I get to join the crowd, my wife went into the garage this morning to find a pretty decent crack. There appears to be a small chip mark literally behind the windshield wiper blade on the passenger side it then travels both up and down to the molding roughly a foot long. Neither of us remember hearing anything as far as a rock hitting it. Sucks we have 1100miles on the car and only had it just over two weeks. My comprehensive deductible is $500 so not sure if I amgoing to pay for it or file a claim. Just like stated before seems like a lot of broken windows being discussed for such new cars.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
the claim will not raise your insurance rates (assuming comprehensive insurance coverage) and the windshield along with the required calibration is much more than $500 total. A cursory review of posts on other vehicle forums for every manufacturer will demonstrate a similar frustration with frequent windshield cracks and replacement frequencies. It is in the nature of the modern windshield.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I will note that I have no recollection from many decades ago of so many windshields cracking, chipping and being replaced other than in the context of an auto accident. It is hard to imagine that the technology is inferior so I suspect that it has to do with the size and installation angle of modern windshields.

Undoubtedly the size/angle have something to do with the issue. I certainly don't remember many previous generations' windshields carrying this much curvature, for one.

The other is that materials have also changed. And while one would imagine that materials would be "more durable," I think that it is more about the material being more protective of the occupants in a collision event, which may not translate into the type of "durability" that we consumers would like to see on an everyday basis.

Similarly, NVH isolation and how this must be offset by weight (think fuel consumption) concerns is yet another thing that pops to my rather layman's mind in terms of compromises not only in terms of windscreen and other vehicle glass, but also the general materials, design, and construct of modern vehicles are implemented.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In your third picture, it looks like there was an impact star straight out from your 1" on the tape. If so, then it's probably an insurance claim. If it actually started under the molding, then it's an SOA issue. (See the Outback forum for the windshield threads about Eyesight windshields.)

I had a customer have a rock go THROUGH his windshield the first weekend he had it. (Car ahead of him went off the road, spun his wheels, and sent a rock flying backwards at 80 mph. So just like a small bullet hitting the windshield at 160 mph. Didn't break the windshield or crack it - just went right through it.)

I've also had multiple Outback customers have windshields being replaced due to impacts. Got one customer who lives out in the country on his fourth windshield, simply due to small flying rocks.
I have to agree with Carl, it does look like something hit from the outside and started the chip. The changes in temperature then cause the crack to expand.

With that being said getting a chip in a windshield and having it crack/spider is going to happen in any car. We are seeing it more on the forum because A it's a new car, and B many times people turn to forums to vent their frustration which makes the occurrence appear more frequent.

My dad was driving my truck when I first got it. Maybe 500 miles on it and he had a rock hit right in the drivers line of sight. It didn't spider much, but was replaced anyway with an OEM windshield. Never got a crack or chip after that.

My wife is on her third windshield.

Its an unfortunate thing that happens especially in certain areas and driving conditions or unlucky driver. On two separate rental occasion I cracked the windshield less than 50 miles from Enterprise :dunno:

Glad you have only a $100 deductible and a comprehensive claim won't raise your rate. My luck with windshields is the reason I have a $0 deductible comprehensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Woke up on Sunday and found a foot long crack in the windshield. I don't remember anything hitting me. The crack runs about 10 inches from the bottom of the driver side corner. Today it expanded to a foot and a half!
Go figure. Subaru Canada has no warranty on glass. My deductible is $1000.00.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts

It is no differrent than any other windshield in terms of this kind of durability. There are thousands more vehicles on the roads today driving many more miles (at higher speeds) so our exposure to this potential is simply greater.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Car is 6 months old and 8” crack extending from lower passenger corner appeared one morning. Now a few weeks later with colder weather and it’s over a foot. I have never in 35 years of car ownership had a crack. Sure I’ve had a knick from flying rock but never a crack. Does seem like it’s unstable.

I do have a separate glass deductible of $50 under my comprehensive. I assume that covers recalibration??? Dealer said we have to take to a particular glass provider and they do all the work there. $550. Does that sound right to you all? I don’t want to do that and then have another recalibration charge at dealer that isn’t covered by glass rider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Car is 6 months old and 8” crack extending from lower passenger corner appeared one morning. Now a few weeks later with colder weather and it’s over a foot. I have never in 35 years of car ownership had a crack. Sure I’ve had a knick from flying rock but never a crack. Does seem like it’s unstable.

I do have a separate glass deductible of $50 under my comprehensive. I assume that covers recalibration??? Dealer said we have to take to a particular glass provider and they do all the work there. $550. Does that sound right to you all? I don’t want to do that and then have another recalibration charge at dealer that isn’t covered by glass rider.
Update: Called insurance. Whole thing is covered as one claim. Glass is $550 and recalibration is $375. Subaru told spouse it prob wouldn’t need recalibration. But of course they are wrong. WTH?

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Update: Called insurance. Whole thing is covered as one claim. Glass is $550 and recalibration is $375. Subaru told spouse it prob wouldn’t need recalibration. But of course they are wrong. WTH?
Not necessarily. I have it on good authority that:
  • If they are using the same version and brand windshield (true OEM exact match from the same company), no calibration is necessary.
  • If they are using a different brand, or even the same brand but aftermarket glass, calibration is needed.
I do not know which applies to you, but that's why there are two different answers.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I was driving down the road about 3 weeks ago, very windy day. I saw an object fly towards me, no idea what it was or from where....all of a sudden I had small round shaped multiple cracks in my windshield...driver lower corner....I pulled over and looked around, I was under a walnut tree. So it appears that a walnut blew out of the tree and cracked my windshield, which has now continued to break along half the distance of windshield. I’ve been waiting to see what pans out with my transmission before I pay for new windshield....I’m speaking to SOA about getting rid of the Ascent due to multiple transmission issues. No sense turning in insurance windshield claim if I am not keeping the car . Moral of the story is that I’ve never had a windshield crack from driving under a walnut tree!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was driving down the road about 3 weeks ago, very windy day. I saw an object fly towards me, no idea what it was or from where....all of a sudden I had small round shaped multiple cracks in my windshield...driver lower corner....I pulled over and looked around, I was under a walnut tree. So it appears that a walnut blew out of the tree and cracked my windshield, which has now continued to break along half the distance of windshield. I’ve been waiting to see what pans out with my transmission before I pay for new windshield....I’m speaking to SOA about getting rid of the Ascent due to multiple transmission issues. No sense turning in insurance windshield claim if I am not keeping the car . Moral of the story is that I’ve never had a windshield crack from driving under a walnut tree!
I wonder about the windshield, parked at work, no extreme temperatures. Four hours later twelve inch crack appeared then the next morning it was most of the way across the windshield. Dealer insisted it was a rock chip in the lower part of the windshield behind the hood but an odd place for that to happen. Needless to say I never noticed anything hit the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wonder about the windshield, parked at work, no extreme temperatures. Four hours later twelve inch crack appeared then the next morning it was most of the way across the windshield. Dealer insisted it was a rock chip in the lower part of the windshield behind the hood but an odd place for that to happen. Needless to say I never noticed anything hit the car.
I had a similar windshield crack with a new ascent less than 1000 miles within a month of getting it. Since i travel highway i assumed that it might have been hit by a rock from trucks. Now seeing others posts it looks like it has to do with the product itself. Mine very similar to Sgodett. A small chip behind the wiper blade on the passenger side. It was not easily noticeable from inside the car. Got the windshield replaced in Subaru dealership. Now after 2 weeks of windshield replacement i had water sloshing underneath the driver seat area and is still not being diagnosed by the dealership. I have raised the issue with SOA as well.
@Robert.Mauro
Do you think this as a rare coincidence or some issue with Ascent manufacturing?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts