Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hear a loud crack noise on a road trip as a big truck passed me and unfortunately that sound was my moonroof cracking. Has anyone else had to replace their's using their insurance company? I know my dealership won't replace it as a warranty claim. Are there two layers of glass, does only the top section of glass get replaced or the entire moonroof? If Geico does cover it do I have the dealership replace the glass...dont know how this works, any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Hear a loud crack noise on a road trip as a big truck passed me and unfortunately that sound was my moonroof cracking. Has anyone else had to replace their's using their insurance company? I know my dealership won't replace it as a warranty claim. Are there two layers of glass, does only the top section of glass get replaced or the entire moonroof? If Geico does cover it do I have the dealership replace the glass...dont know how this works, any help would be appreciated!
Geico in NY provides glass coverage, with varying deductibles. I have used them for side glass, but never a moonroof, so, I can't say I've looked to see if it was included. But, their customer service is pretty good, so, a call will verify what your policy covers.

If there's no point of impact, I'd try your Subaru dealership first.

As for your other questions, it's dual pane laminated glass. in the event of a crack, they can replace the panel. In the event it cracked because of the frame, they can replace the whole thing or adjust the frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple of months ago I went to open the sunroof in our driveway and noticed it was cracked. Took it to the dealership and they replaced under warranty. Told us they had been doing a lot of them. Like Robert said, I would start there.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Read This!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
thanks for that post. Fascinating and great video.
I do not have a moonroof so this is not a personal issue but I agree it really does need addressing by both the glass manufacturers and auto manufacturers. This is not an issue that is specific to one auto manufacturer since they all get their glass from the same glass manufacturers. If this happened to me, I would definitely expect Subaru to take care of it at no cost. They could then fight it out with the glass manufacturer. The reality is that they would probably never know what caused it. Rather both parties would need to put in place best practices to manufacturing and install.

Given Subaru's history of customer care, I would expect they would step up early on to address this issue front and center.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently noticed my moonroof glass was cracked with no point of impact. I mentioned it to a service manager when I had it in for the ECU recall, being sure to mention that I had read about others having the same issue. After a few moments at his computer he came back and said, "I can tell you aren't the only one with this issue because the glass is backordered. Let's make an appointment in a couple weeks to get that fixed for you." Absolutely no pushback whatsoever. I recommend you go see the dealer.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I recently noticed my moonroof glass was cracked with no point of impact. I mentioned it to a service manager when I had it in for the ECU recall, being sure to mention that I had read about others having the same issue. After a few moments at his computer he came back and said, "I can tell you aren't the only one with this issue because the glass is backordered. Let's make an appointment in a couple weeks to get that fixed for you." Absolutely no pushback whatsoever. I recommend you go see the dealer.
an informed consumer is golden. A reputable, trustworthy dealer is invaluable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is exactly why I chose a vehicle/trim specifically without the moonroof. The pros didn't outweigh the cons of eventual leaks and potential cracking. We're loving our 2020 Ascent limited trim.

I also made my wife wait months for the 2020 to come out to avoid the 1st year headaches. We got the 1st 2020 sold by our dealership when they finally came out. She wasn't happy, but we're both glad we waited now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We also waited for the 2020, but love the big moonroof...We always had a moonroof in every other car we've owned and never once did we have an issue with cracks or leaks. From reading about the cracks from others have had here, it seems as though the glass is not as "strong" these days, I just hope it's not going to be an issue that will continue to happen once I get it fixed...time will tell I guess. Defiantly not something I want to continue dealing with. This seems to be a freak thing as I had my cargo carrier, on our road trip to Maine, on the roof which made the glass less exposed but that damn rock seemed to find the right spot :mad:. Curious if others had to have multiple fixes on the glass. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. Hopefully it was a fluke. Good to hear you waited like us. Too few people are willing to delay gratification.

When I say eventual leaks, it's not because all moonroofs leak for all owners, but because I know it'll eventually leak for me.

The drain tubes will get clogged because I will neglect maintaining them. The seals will leak because I keep my vehicles for 10-20 years and everything fails eventually. etc...

For many people they don't leak on them because they do the proper maintenance and don't own them long enough for them to fail, but will leak for the next person.

Both perspectives are correct. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to my dealer today and won't replace under warranty as there is a point of impact, which I kind of knew they wouldn't. $460 plus tax for the repair. Have to order the glass 😩

1 - 11 of 11 Posts