Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealership has a CPO touring, black on brown leather Ascent on the lot - 9k on the clock, 2020 model, and is asking $41k for it.

I’ve been shopping Ascents (and Palasades, Tellurides, 4Runners, Durango’s), looking for a new family vehicle and a small travel trailer bunk house tower. We don’t own the trailer yet, so it’s hard to gauge if the Acsent will do the job.

Is that a good deal? Feels like it, but I’ve never bought a Subaru, or a towing vehicle, so I’m looking for some expert advice. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As I look through some of the new purchase pricing, some people seem to be getting $6k off MSRP, so I don't think this is such a great deal in the end. We're holding off until August anyway, when finances free up a bit for us.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Be sure to spend time in the towing section of this site. Lots of good info to know before you choose your tow vehicle and choosing your trailer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That seemed high to me. If I am buying used I would want the other guy to take the big hit (>20%) in depreciation not me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be sure to spend time in the towing section of this site. Lots of good info to know before you choose your tow vehicle and choosing your trailer.
Thanks! Thats why I'm looking at the Ascent.

We want a comfortable, 3 row family car. Once deciding on that, we decided we'd love a travel trailer for short, local camping trips too. So, how to mix the two needs?

I've driven the Palisade, 4Runner, Telluride, Durango and the Ascent. The 4runner and the Durango have the better towing options, but both feel like they're overdue for a refresh. The Palisade and Telluride are so new, no one quite knows how to tow with them yet. The forums here are bustling with people towing small ultralights - exactly what we're looking for, in the end. At the end of the day, it needs to be a capable family car first, towing vehicle second.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
My local dealership has a CPO touring, black on brown leather Ascent on the lot - 9k on the clock, 2020 model, and is asking $41k for it.
That's only about a grand less than I paid for a new one with almost zero miles (factory order) which at the time was 2% below invoice less a $750 loyalty rebate. Many folks have negotiated better deals since for new, so since this is essentially a used vehicle, I'd want more off that number, personally.

Reactions: peeceejay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - we're leaving it for now. I have two payments left on my current lease, so I'm not really in a rush to stack payments on a vehicle that isn't a steal!

·
Registered
104 Posts

I’ve been shopping Ascents (and Palasades, Tellurides, 4Runners, Durango’s), looking for a new family vehicle and a small travel trailer bunk house tower. We don’t own the trailer yet, so it’s hard to gauge if the Acsent will do the job.

Is that a good deal? Feels like it, but I’ve never bought a Subaru, or a towing vehicle, so I’m looking for some expert advice. :)
Seems like a lot for a used Ascent. Using one of the Subaru VIP plans or a buying service like Costco or Consumer's Reports, you should be able to get a price of 2% below dealer invoice or better if you order a new 2021 Ascent. A new 2021 Ascent should be worth considerably more in a few years than the 2020 Ascent with 9K addiditional miles that your local dealer is trying to sell you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts