Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First one shows accessories and hitch area, second sort of shows trailer stability system. I was more interested in seeing the gray color and DRL brightness honestly. Not sure how that dealer was able to get one to test like that. Makes me wonder if pre-production models are out there making their way around the country.

https://youtu.be/1vwTTotw__A

https://youtu.be/Ki0Q3vAp6j4

·
Registered
253 Posts
The links worked for me. I wish the guys doing the trailer sway demo would have shown the black interior. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I get the point they are trying to make but the trailer they are demonstrating with has zero impact on the stability system getting the Ascent straight after a hard swerve. It would look identical without that 600lb trailer behind it.

Pure marketing BS in that one.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Trailer sway control and major issues takes place at higher speeds while typically running straight. Though stepping on the brake lightly in a sweeping turn can expose a very unstable trailer at lower speedsCaused by bad trailer geometry, flat tire on the trailer, speed and wind loading etc.

All they were doing was swerving a SUV hard with a tiny badly designed trailer hooked to it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I get the point they are trying to make but the trailer they are demonstrating with has zero impact on the stability system getting the Ascent straight after a hard swerve. It would look identical without that 600lb trailer behind it.

Pure marketing BS in that one.
Totally agree, I wish I could be impressed by the video but pretty generic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The links worked for me. I wish the guys doing the trailer sway demo would have shown the black interior. Thanks for sharing!
The Ascent in the video is a Touring. Note the mirrors and door handles. Sorry to disappoint.

Reactions: cjkenton

·
Registered
978 Posts
Id rather see them doing a skid pad /cone test with the Ascent than swerving it hard with 600lb Harbor Freight trailer behind it. A miata might be affected by that trailer but not a Ascent sized vehicle

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks like it gets moving pretty darn good in the trailer demo vid. A nice thing for me to see because I had some concerns with a 4cyl and a car that size.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The narrator of the second video plugging for Boise Subaru said they would have them in June. Makes me kind of giddy to think they could be closer than July! Hope springs eternal....

·
Registered
120 Posts
The narrator of the second video plugging for Boise Subaru said they would have them in June. Makes me kind of giddy to think they could be closer than July! Hope springs eternal....
Me too! We have a family trip planned the end of June and I’d love to have the new ride but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Plus I ordered the Cinnamon Brown and I loved the way it looked in the video.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Looks like it gets moving pretty darn good in the trailer demo vid. A nice thing for me to see because I had some concerns with a 4cyl and a car that size.
The specs make it faster than the 2.5I Outback. And they have said its quicker than the Mazda. So its not slow persay. The torque specs at 2000rpm would suggest it will give the feel of having plenty of power. Its the higher speeds where people use to say V8 power or Turbo v6 power might complain. Like say jumping from 65mph to 80mph the 2.4 wont be like my 4.7L v8 sequoia then again the Ascent will be posting nearly 30mpg when my Sequoia is hardly breaking 15mpg. I’d rather have the 30mpg and smoother ride with better tech like eye sight etc over my 4.7L V8 and its 15mpg.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The specs make it faster than the 2.5I Outback. And they have said its quicker than the Mazda. So its not slow persay. The torque specs at 2000rpm would suggest it will give the feel of having plenty of power. Its the higher speeds where people use to say V8 power or Turbo v6 power might complain. Like say jumping from 65mph to 80mph the 2.4 wont be like my 4.7L v8 sequoia then again the Ascent will be posting nearly 30mpg when my Sequoia is hardly breaking 15mpg. I’d rather have the 30mpg and smoother ride with better tech like eye sight etc over my 4.7L V8 and its 15mpg.
This is good news to me. We test drove the Mazda CX-9 and was pretty impressed with the quickness of say 0-45ish. While most our driving is around that speed, I hope it's not too much of a dog on the highway around 75/80.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I haven't heard of the details on the towing capacity and it does stated that it can tow "up to 5000lbs". However, who in here believes that the Ascent has a 100% duty cycle for towing 5000lbs?

Another word, would anybody here plan to towing across city, state, or country w/ the Ascent that's 15ft trailer or loaded more than 2000-3000lbs?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Another word, would anybody here plan to towing across city, state, or country w/ the Ascent that's 15ft trailer or loaded more than 2000-3000lbs?
I am planning to tow a U-Haul trailer (not yet sure what size/weight) from WI to CO in August. Will be interesting to see A) if I have the car by then, and B) how it performs in these conditions.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts

I've been told by my dealer friends (and I think Carl has said the same) that many of the dealers will indeed have at least one by June. It will not be for sale, and will be the dealer/showroom/demo car. Customer orders will not arrive until July, per all of them. Whether or not that remains true, I dunno, but that's what they were being told as recently as 10 days ago.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
The specs make it faster than the 2.5I Outback...
Let's talk about just how much faster. My 2010 Subaru Outback 6MT is rated 0-60 in 9.7 seconds.

The Ascent is rated:
  • 0-60 no tow load: 7.3 seconds
  • 0-60 with 5,000 pounds tow load: 9.3-9.8 seconds.
So, according to SoA, if you tow a FULL 5,000 pounds behind an Ascent and stomp on the gas, you can beat my UNLOADED Subaru Outback. And when you compare both vehicles with driver only, the Ascent STOMPS on my Outback.

One last comparison. The 2010 Outback 3.6R got 7.1 seconds 0-60 when tested (no tow load). The Ascent (no tow load) beats that too, even though it's considerably heavier (literally about 1,000 pounds heavier).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts