‘19 Ascent = $0.09602/mi (over 33671mi)
Maintenance $1539​
Repairs $298​
Accessories $1396​
‘98 528i = $0.09585/mi (over 14742mi)
Maintenance $169​
Repairs $1196​
Accessories $48​

I pulled this data from the records I keep on each of our cars. Yes I’m a nerd like that; my wife rolls her eyes every time she ponders if her KIA is due for an oil change and I’m able to tell her the date and mileage of her last maintenance. I only record associated costs for my two cars — the fun ones!

At first I was surprised the cost/mi was lower for the BMW, but that was only until I considered what some of the costs actually were. The biggest expenses on the Subaru have been wheels/tires and a trailer hitch — all discretionary spending. The repair column says the most, but what do you expect from a car with 233k mi on it?

Takeaways: just like all those surveys that rank vehicles best to worst in whatever category they’re looking at, data can be skewed to tell practically any story.

Does anyone else have any cost of ownership data to compare?

Vehicle Land vehicle Transport Grille Automotive parking light

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
You've only taken 3 components of cost into consideration? How about cost of acquisition and depreciation? Insurance? Fuel?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hmm interesting, I usually am a nerd too but.. I haven't really cared much since I sold my Tundra and now down to one vehicle - the Ascent.

I had previously done a spreadsheet just on gas cost, (did not include insurance or repairs/maintenance as it is minimal on my new vehicles).

Insurance for me are about the same for both vehicle, at about $80 bucks each/month so that is neglectable.
This currently shows that my fuel/usage cost per year is about $900 bucks for 8000 annual miles. Haven't really been tracking of late though. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've only taken 3 components of cost into consideration? How about cost of acquisition and depreciation? Insurance? Fuel?
Insurance, registration, etc is spread evenly across the vehicles and fuel should be comparable between the two as well. The Bimmer uses 89 octane but had better mileage. Every other expense I threw into the closest of the 3 categories to keep it simple.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^true. That’s why I had the disclaimer that the data can show what you want. No science here 😂

I included accessories because driving the Subaru makes me want to do things to it to make it mine. That drives up the cost 😉
I didn’t include the initial cost because the $30k Subaru would really offset the $1100 Bimmer.
In reality the purpose of the Bimmer for me was to offset the miles I’d be putting on the Subaru, therefore extending my warranty time. There’s no monthly payment on the Bimmer and it’s purchase price was low so it’s true cost is WAY lower.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It's always good to understand the parameters of any analysis. You are very clear that yours was just a 'finger in the wind' type of determination. it'll be interesting to see what your actual maintenance costs are year over year on your bimmer.

Just curious was the maintenance on the BMW necessary or preventative/proactive?

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious was the maintenance on the BMW necessary or preventative/proactive?
yes...

The car wasn’t in good shape when I bought it. I’ve done fluid changes, brakes and replaced various hoses as preventative maintenance. I’ve had to replace gaskets, boots, hoses, wipers motors, etc reactively as well. Thankfully everything she’s thrown at me has been within my realm of diy, otherwise the cost would be significantly higher than it was.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait, how long have you had the BMW? Did I miss that nugget?
Only for a year and a half and 14700mi. I’ve had the Ascent a year longer than that and more than double the miles.

·
Registered
559 Posts
No new vehicle can be compared to a used depreciated vehicle in terms of cost of ownership. That being stated in the 2 yrs I've had the Ascent, it's cost me two oil changes and a couple of filters. That's dirt cheap in my book. The oil changes on my F450 are $150 each time! My Porsche services are never less than $1k. So as far as I'm concerned, the Subie is as cheap to run as my wife's Odyssey van - dirt cheap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah...what I want to know is what accessories you got for yours? I just got one on Monday, and my list keeps growing and my wife's annoyed looks keep growing as well :ROFLMAO:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.