Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed any blemishes on their pre-ordered Ascent?

During our walk around when we picked ours up yesterday I noticed a slight scratch in the paint in the drivers side door sill. (Luckily, can barely see it).

However, I also noticed some marks or scratches in the leading edge of both roof rails. It appears that someone may have run through tree branches or maybe it happened during the dealer taking off the shipping wraps?

Our salesman said they'll take a better look at it when we bring it back to them to finalize some other things. I hope they will either get the marks out or replace those front pieces (even possible?)

I mean if we're paying this much for a BRAND NEW car, then it should be without damage or scratches. I think that's a reasonable expectation, no?

Other than those two things, we LOVE this car!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
However, I also noticed some marks or scratches in the leading edge of both roof rails. It appears that someone may have run through tree branches or maybe it happened during the dealer taking off the shipping wraps?
Looks like shipping damage to me. So long as they knew about it BEFORE it left the lot, there should be no issue with it being taken care of. I annoy my managers at times because I'll see a defect that no one would EVER see ... if they hadn't worked the line at the plant. But then again, when my cars come up from detail for delivery, I typically spend at least another 15 minutes to half hour with a micro-fiber rag and spray doing my own final inspection and prep.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like shipping damage to me. So long as they knew about it BEFORE it left the lot, there should be no issue with it being taken care of. I annoy my managers at times because I'll see a defect that no one would EVER see ... if they hadn't worked the line at the plant. But then again, when my cars come up from detail for delivery, I typically spend at least another 15 minutes to half hour with a micro-fiber rag and spray doing my own final inspection and prep.
I'm of the same mindset. If I were the salesman, and my customer pointed these things out to me, personally I would have been imbarrassed. I then would have made it painfully clear that we would take care of it right away and get it fixed. Maybe that's what our salesman thought he was doing for me but it didn't seem like he was too concerned about it.

I'm going to just let it ride right now and see how this plays out when we bring it back to them. Before we even left for our initial test drive, I specifically pointed out both issues and he heard me, saw the issues and touched them. So I think we're good on that part.

So you think it's shipping damage, do you have an idea of from what? Haven worked in the factory I figure you've probably seen stuff like this before. Would those marks be easily removed or are thinking those pieces would need to be replaced?

·
Registered
965 Posts
So you think it's shipping damage, do you have an idea of from what? Haven worked in the factory I figure you've probably seen stuff like this before. Would those marks be easily removed or are thinking those pieces would need to be replaced?
Idiot car carrier driver. Had one at one of our other dealerships forget to take his finger off the button when aligning the upper level and put a huge crease in a hood last week.

A competent body man MIGHT be able to wet sand those out, but if they're deep scratches in the plastic, then it's replace the end caps. Which would normally not be a problem, BUT ... a LOT of parts for the Ascent are NOT available on our parts inventory system yet. If you read the thread about the trailer hitch stuff, just have their service department escalate it. I'm going to suggest patience in getting this one repaired / replaced. It's not going to be a quick, let me get a replacement part from the back. It's crap, we don't even have detailed drawings in our system to have part numbers to even know if we CAN get an end cap, or if we have to replace the whole top assembly. Which opens up a whole can of worms if that has to be done, since you're talking drop the headliner. That would be when I'd recommend saying, okay, I'll live with the scratches if you give me body side moldings for free. Seriously, if you can avoid dropping the headliner for ANY reason, don't!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Idiot car carrier driver. Had one at one of our other dealerships forget to take his finger off the button when aligning the upper level and put a huge crease in a hood last week.

A competent body man MIGHT be able to wet sand those out, but if they're deep scratches in the plastic, then it's replace the end caps. Which would normally not be a problem, BUT ... a LOT of parts for the Ascent are NOT available on our parts inventory system yet. If you read the thread about the trailer hitch stuff, just have their service department escalate it. I'm going to suggest patience in getting this one repaired / replaced. It's not going to be a quick, let me get a replacement part from the back. It's crap, we don't even have detailed drawings in our system to have part numbers to even know if we CAN get an end cap, or if we have to replace the whole top assembly. Which opens up a whole can of worms if that has to be done, since you're talking drop the headliner. That would be when I'd recommend saying, okay, I'll live with the scratches if you give me body side moldings for free. Seriously, if you can avoid dropping the headliner for ANY reason, don't!
Oh yeah, I was just about to ask if you thought the headliner would have to be dropped to get to the mounts for those caps. And if that's the case, then yep, I think I'd be politely asking for some other type of compensation. I've done a headliner before and that is one thing I do not want to do or have done again, let alone in a brand new car. Fogetaboutit!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yup, had a weird chip thing on the left rear door handle indent and a scratch in the window. Dealer said he'll take care of both so it looks brand new. Better ... ;-) (Scratch was from straps, chip might have been from a rock or something in transit)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts