Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the second time, car’s coolant is running low. Do you guys have the same issue.
Engine oil level high is another issue.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,007 Posts
We would need some additional information before making an informed recommendation. You said it's the second time the coolant is running low. The second time in what time period? I presume you filled the coolant after you found it low the first time. Are you talking about the coolant level in the radiator itself or in the plastic surge tank behind the radiator?

It's normal for the coolant level to slowly fall in the surge tank with time. That's not a sealed pressure vessel and coolant will naturally evaporate with time. Our 2020 model is about 13 months old now, and the coolant level has fallen from near the full mark down to near the fill mark in a year's time. I consider that normal and not something to worry about.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, RoyBin and hokiefyd.

I'm wondering about the updates in this thread. I also noticed my coolant went down since August 2018. It's has been ~16,000 miles so far. Did you refill it? If then, it will be under warranty?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,007 Posts
I also noticed my coolant went down since August 2018. It's has been ~16,000 miles so far. Did you refill it? If then, it will be under warranty?
That's about the level mine is also. It's been to the dealer for warranty work a few times, and I guess coolant just above the fill line passes their so-many-point safety inspection, because they haven't filled it for me. ;)

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,007 Posts
I'm sure your dealer would fill it up if you asked them to. I haven't bothered to bring it up with mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, RoyBin and hokiefyd.

I'm wondering about the updates in this thread. I also noticed my coolant went down since August 2018. It's has been ~16,000 miles so far. Did you refill it? If then, it will be under warranty?

View attachment 12246
I did ask the dealer to fill the coolant to the full mark when during the ECU and CVT recall, but it’s only been a few months and car is barely driven.

The solution for me is I can add some distilled water which dilute the coolant a bit, or I can get the premixed subaru coolant which is around $25.

But, if you do your oil change at the dealer, ask them to fill to the full mark ( should be free ).

Question for me is whether or not the coolant leaks into the oil which cause oil level high

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I did ask the dealer to fill the coolant to the full mark when during the ECU and CVT recall, but it’s only been a few months and car is barely driven.

The solution for me is I can add some distilled water which dilute the coolant a bit, or I can get the premixed subaru coolant which is around $25.

But, if you do your oil change at the dealer, ask them to fill to the full mark ( should be free ).

Question for me is whether or not the coolant leaks into the oil which cause oil level high
I suggest you formally complete a Subaru oil consumption test. It is ehat they require for high oil level issues. The first step is to have an oil change and before driving off have the service advisor check the oil and take a photo of the level. If it is above the high mark, they need to draw off oil and fument it. Check oil level ahain and have them take photo. Drive 1200 miles and then bring it back to the dealer for another oil level check (no need for oil change). They neef to hsve it in the same flat area as last time snd again take photo. It is diffict to get a clear picture. You will nedd a good flashlight on the stick and probably a pointer as well. Keep a record of the photos for yourself as well. If the oil level has risen then notify SOA and have the dealer submit the evidence. Do not forget the photo immefiately after the oil change (mine was high).[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suggest you formally complete a Subaru oil consumption test. It is ehat they require for high oil level issues. The first step is to have an oil change and before driving off have the service advisor check the oil and take a photo of the level. If it is above the high mark, they need to draw off oil and fument it. Check oil level ahain and have them take photo. Drive 1200 miles and then bring it back to the dealer for another oil level check (no need for oil change). They neef to hsve it in the same flat area as last time snd again take photo. It is diffict to get a clear picture. You will nedd a good flashlight on the stick and probably a pointer as well. Keep a record of the photos for yourself as well. If the oil level has risen then notify SOA and have the dealer submit the evidence. Do not forget the photo immefiately after the oil change (mine was high).
[/QUOTE]

Not have much faith with the dealer’s job, went to 2 different dealers for warranty work, both did terrible job. So, if you guys have a recommended dealer in NY/NJ area, please let me know.

When I did my oil change last time, I purposely filled the oil at mid mark, just want to see if it will raise before the next oil change.

At least right now by using the Shell V-power, I don’t see the smoke during cold start.

But there’re still few issues with my car, I guess I just have to live with it, don’t have the time and energy to dealing with the dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think @Robert.Mauro recommends Liberty Subaru. I don't know how close that is to you, but users here say they do good work.
that’s where I purchased my car from, even though the sales department is very nice, but the service department is not up to the level I believe. I spent 2 days plus tolls, and be very nice and patient let them to fix the hood vibration issue, but at the end they told me that there’s nothing they can do to fix it and I have to live with it. kind of disappointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's about the level mine is also. It's been to the dealer for warranty work a few times, and I guess coolant just above the fill line passes their so-many-point safety inspection, because they haven't filled it for me. ;)
Same for me. It looks they just missed it during 30 months check up in March.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
that’s where I purchased my car from, even though the sales department is very nice, but the service department is not up to the level I believe. I spent 2 days plus tolls, and be very nice and patient let them to fix the hood vibration issue, but at the end they told me that there’s nothing they can do to fix it and I have to live with it. kind of disappointed.
PM Robert on this

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5, 2021 Ascent Premium on the way
237 Posts
So, if you guys have a recommended dealer in NY/NJ area, please let me know.
Where are you located? I've had good luck with service at Victory Subaru in Somerset NJ, but guessing by your mention of tolls that you're probably in NY? Might be more of a drive than it's worth.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Coolant in the oil is very noticeable, it will make the oil look like chocolate milk.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yeah. Mine has gone down over time. Look at the front face of the reservoir, toward the radiator. There's a hole in it. At times I've seen blue coolant coloring splashed around the outside of the reservoir. (It rinses off very easilly with water) I figure it's splashing out some how.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Coolant in the oil is very noticeable, it will make the oil look like chocolate milk.
if the oil look like chocolate milk, then the engine has some major issue, much like the infamous EJ series head gasket issue, but tiny bit leak won’t be noticeable.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if the oil look like chocolate milk, then the engine has some major issue, much like the infamous EJ series head gasket issue, but tiny bit leak won’t be noticeable.
I'd imagine that enough coolant in the oil to raise the level on the dipstick is also enough coolant to make a visible change to the oil itself and be noticeable, ala choc milk look.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Our Forester lost about half quart (or less) in 5yrs. I had to fill it up with distilled water, but I need to change it out.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
FWIW: With the new blue stuff, you're only supposed to add properly diluted blue stuff, not water or anything else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts