Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my MY2020 Touring yesterday and I’m loving everything so far. I’m coming from a 2014 Honda CR-V, so it’s pretty much an upgrade in every way.

It’s not a big deal but has anyone noticed the conversation mirror blocking 1/3 (or less) of the rear view mirror when it’s down? I’m 5’7” and I have my seat on the lowest position. I was just curious to know if anyone else noticed this about the conversation mirror as well.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah, I'm 5'7" as well and I've never seen it block the rearview mirror. Maybe your mirror is up too high as rockthebeef mentioned?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did take another look at rockthebeef’s advice and was able to adjust it from the base and mirror itself. The way I had it was the lowest it could go. It shouldn’t be that hard but I still couldn’t adjust it to where it is out of sight.

The pictures are what I see without the CM and with. Without obviously is perfect with no obstructions (except headrest)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also didn’t want to force any part of the mirror and break it. I have to visit the dealership anyway very soon... I’ll just ask them about it and/or take a lot at another Ascent for comparison.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It doesn't seem to me that the mirror on the sunglass holder is meant to be used constantly, I always viewed it as a way to take a gander briefly at kids in the second/third rows to check for safety/misbehavior and then closed again. I wouldn't be comfortable with a "conversation mirror" (never heard of this before), as I'd prefer the driver keep their eyes on the road ahead and not feel the need or even temptation to look at conversational partners while the vehicle is in motion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't seem to me that the mirror on the sunglass holder is meant to be used constantly, I always viewed it as a way to take a gander briefly at kids in the second/third rows to check for safety/misbehavior and then closed again. I wouldn't be comfortable with a "conversation mirror" (never heard of this before), as I'd prefer the driver keep their eyes on the road ahead and not feel the need or even temptation to look at conversational partners while the vehicle is in motion.
Sigmonster, I agree with you. Maybe (on the Subaru end) it isn’t meant to be down all the time.

As for my other car, Honda CR-V, I have the “conversation mirror” down permanently. It doesn’t block my rear it’s and it’s easier for me to keep an eye on my son who is on a child seat... which you can’t see with the rear view mirror. Even though it’s called a conversation mirror, it’s basically used to keep an eye on small/shorter children.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I like having the conversation mirror. Most of my cars have had them. None of my other cars ever had the issue of this mirror blocking the rearview mirror. It's surprising because it's a relatively tall greenhouse and there should be plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'd never even heard of a "conversation mirror" before. Have now though :D Sorry I can't help more, as I've never owned a car that anything like this from the factory before. I've seen plenty of aftermarket products that serve this purpose, but that's not helpful either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stopped by my dealer to compare mirrors. The service person let me see a Limited model which had a longer/wider rear view mirror than my Touring smart mirror. With my seat adjusted comfortably and the conversation mirror down, the CM was visible at least 1/4 on the rear view mirror.... I guess that’s just the way it’s made. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a defect on my vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.