Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Funny how opinions can differ so much between reviewers. This guy thought the Ascent did not handle well, and tended to "lumber a bit in corners". Others have said it handles very well for an SUV its size, and actually feels more sporty like a smaller car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny how opinions can differ so much between reviewers. This guy thought the Ascent did not handle well, and tended to "lumber a bit in corners". Others have said it handles very well for an SUV its size, and actually feels more sporty like a smaller car.
Your thoughts mirror mine...funny, but reveals the subjectivity of these reviews on several features....that’s to be expected.?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Also note that the reviewers here - like most others - get basic information wrong.

"The Ascent Base comes with a second-row bench seat, but all other trims offer a no-cost choice of bench or captain’s chairs. "

Touring does NOT come with a second row bench seat. I always love it when someone comes into the dealership after reading reviews and says I'm wrong because they read something in a review that just isn't right. Then they look at me like I'm the bad guy because I actually KNOW my product.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If all the reviewers had the same critical opinion I might consider it as something to be concerned about....:confused:

·
Registered
597 Posts

I think a lot of this is probably comparing it to what they are used to rather than vehicles of the same class. I remember when I had my '02 WRX and my wife bought a 2004 Mazda 6 which was considered very sporty by almost all the reviewers. When I jumped in I didn't think it was sporty at all because I was comparing it to my WRX. When I moved to the Xterra and switched to drive the Mazda I was amazed at how sporty it drove.

If they are coming from a car it will feel like a large vehicle. If they are coming from an SUV or truck it will feel more sporty.

·
Registered
932 Posts
From what I've read/watched, the Mazda CX-9 seems to win in the handling category, but again, it's a sum of all parts thing. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice some performance (handling) for a more well-rounded, excellent-in-bad-weather vehicle. If I'm taking turns at Mach 2 and making the tires chirp, I probably should have reconsidered my choice of a third row SUV for a vroom vroom car.

I think a lot of this is probably comparing it to what they are used to rather than vehicles of the same class. I remember when I had my '02 WRX and my wife bought a 2004 Mazda 6 which was considered very sporty by almost all the reviewers. When I jumped in I didn't think it was sporty at all because I was comparing it to my WRX. When I moved to the Xterra and switched to drive the Mazda I was amazed at how sporty it drove.

If they are coming from a car it will feel like a large vehicle. If they are coming from an SUV or truck it will feel more sporty.
Yep, I agree 100%. It's all in what you're used to. While I've tested a Legacy and Outback 3.6 in preparation for my next ride, my daily is a 2011 Outback 2.5, so the 2.4T will probably be quite exhilarating despite the extra weight and size.

I do like that almost all the reviews have praised the CVT - usually that's a tough sell and everyone has something bad to say about it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I do like that almost all the reviews have praised the CVT - usually that's a tough sell and everyone has something bad to say about it.
I think this is another case of what you are used to. I have the 2018 Crosstrek, and when I hear the criticisms, I wonder if they are talking about a different car.

I like the CVT, and any talk about lag, high rev drone, etc, are all BS. It is in fact very responsive and makes the car feel like it has more power than it actually has. And it is very stealthy actually, as you quickly accelerate to freeway speed without any effort. There is nothing that I don't like about the CVT.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think this is another case of what you are used to. I have the 2018 Crosstrek, and when I hear the criticisms, I wonder if they are talking about a different car.

I like the CVT, and any talk about lag, high rev drone, etc, are all BS. It is in fact very responsive and makes the car feel like it has more power than it actually has. And it is very stealthy actually, as you quickly accelerate to freeway speed without any effort. There is nothing that I don't like about the CVT.
Well, I had a loaner 2018 Trek Premium about a month ago when they were replacing the converter on my 2011 Outback. I was a little underwhelmed at the highway-speed type of things, which is usually the biggest gripe about the 2.0 engine, but I just pushed harder. Whereas I would use, say 33% throttle on my Outback, I just pushed it to 50% on the Crosstrek, and it responded in kind.

Just gun it! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is the difference between someone that has lived with a vehicle and someone with preconceived notions doing a test drive to write a review. You'll notice in many reviews (not just about this car) that certain criticisms get reused and that may be valid or it may be lazy writing/reviewing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'd like to know how they rented the Ascent for their tests? Because I'd love to rent one for a trip in a couple weeks! :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
932 Posts
What I'm curious is "what's so good" about the CX9. I may have to go test drive one just to see, I will admit I've been drinking the Subaru KoolAid for 10 years now...

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'd like to know how they rented the Ascent for their tests? Because I'd love to rent one for a trip in a couple weeks! :tango_face_wink:
You just need some big boy pants like consumer reports has. You can't "pay" consumer reports but you can cater to their wants and needs to get on their good side. They just got to use a couple of the preproduction models that are making the rounds.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally someone asked a question about how did they rent the cars...my congratulations! Really would like to know the details....while CR wants to maintain impartiality, wonder if any others paid rental fees to evaluate the car or is this a policy that was made special for CR.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What I'm curious is "what's so good" about the CX9. I may have to go test drive one just to see, I will admit I've been drinking the Subaru KoolAid for 10 years now...
I shared my personal pros and cons after test driving the Mazda CX-9 last weekend in another thread. If you have similar deal breakers like I do, I wouldn't waste time on the CX-9. My deal breakers include: spacious 3rd row, panoramic roof, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, and kid friendly 2nd row where it's easy to get in and out of 3rd row. The CX-9 failed in all of these in my test drive. For example, it was incredibly hard to move the 2nd row back in place - it felt very heavy and resistant - I can't imagine any smaller kids having the strength to do so.

I do want to test drive the VW Atlas soon, and can share my personal experience on that as well.

(http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/1...-review-ascent-final-updated-2.html#post15571).

I just test drove the Mazda CX-9 and came away underwhelmed.

Pros:
driving the CX-9 feels much closer to driving a regular car v. a midsized SUV
heads-up display is awesome; wished Subaru had this option
lane monitoring helped me steer the car a bit, which would be great for long road trips and when driver starts getting tired (another safety tool to help driver realize he/she may need some rest before continue driving)
start/stop detection would be perfect for traffic, since it can go up to 19mph starting and stopping in the very heavy and slow bay area traffic; wished Subaru offered this as well
acceleration was pretty good; just enough torque to make me feel less like a soccer dad because I'm not one... yet

Cons (deal breakers for me):
3rd row only has 2 seats
felt really cramped in both 2nd and 3rd rows (and I'm only 5'6)
no panoramic roof option
no 2nd row bucket seats option
technology is really outdated (no Android Auto or Apple Carplay)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts