Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2019 ascent with no issues other than my drivers side rear door handle not always working. Am I sitting on a time bomb? After reading the consumer reports review it makes me wonder. We love our car and we’re not planning on switching for many years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a 2019 ascent with no issues other than my drivers side rear door handle not always working. Am I sitting on a time bomb? After reading the consumer reports review it makes me wonder. We love our car and we’re not planning on switching for many years.
Right! I just bought my first Subaru, yes an 2021 Ascent Touring and this article made me somewhat nervous and wondering if I made the right decision to plonk down 50K on a vehicle that according to this article is at the same level as a Yugo when it comes to reliability. Figuratively speaking.

I don’t see how a manufacturer would seemingly make a number of reliable vehicles and then completely drop the ball on one of their models.

🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,416 Posts
No, you are not "sitting on a time bomb". The vast majority of Ascents do not have "issues"... And like Robert, I think there is something amiss with the scoring by CU and I hope folks are asking them to examine how they made the calculation.

22K miles on my MY19 Ascent Touring. Pretty much zero issues, unless you count three pieces of metal in one tire that forced an early replacement of the set...but that can't be blamed on Subaru.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Limited with 3,000 miles. I have zero problems with it and no rattles. I really enjoy driving it. I also have a 9 year old Mazda which has had very few problems.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well my sample of 1 of 1 says my 2019 Ascent has been dead reliable except for the battery issue, which I solved by having Subaru pay for a replacement Odyssey battery with much higher reserve and cold cranking amps - something I doubt any other manufacturer would have stepped up and done. All my interactions with the dealer and Subaru have been nothing less than good.

I will say as a multiple owner of Mercedes SL class, Porsche, and Volvo, our Japanese made vehicles have been super reliable with really low maintenance costs. It's a welcome breath of fresh air compared to $7k wiring harnesses, $1500 services, and a bunch of snotty attitude from dealers.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I'm out off roading again, breaking 68,500 miles in some tough sand pits and trails usually tackled by Jeeps and big 4x4's, so, can't respond in depth, but, I wouldn't be out doing things like this 2-4 weekends a month if there was something wrong with the Ascent. Will respond in more detail tomorrow, after I've put another couple hundred off roading miles on mine. 😉😁

·
Registered
880 Posts
At 60K miles as far as reliability goes I have had my share of issues:

Transmission replaced
Door seals
Rim blow out - I probably hit something
Brakes
Alignment - early on but paid by me
Apple CarPlay issues
Windsheild replaced - OK I do live near Houston
Attacked by a Trader Joe’s buggy prompting PDR
I am sure there were a few other minor things that I can’t remember.

Monday I am taking it in to have a more issues addressed:
seat fans noisy
Hatch TSB
Head unit blackouts.
Spark plugs - normal maintenance

That list is frankly longer than I like. However I have owned other Vehicles with issues and in the long run most turned out fine. My last truck had several early life issues and then went on to 325k miles without any issues.

So do I have early life issues with my Ascent. Absolutely. Do I think it deserves a 1 on reliability no way. Should it get a 5 on reliability. Honestly no.

My dealer has been great throughout all of this and even worked with me to help me out on the windshield and rim.

Here is my point while I have had early life issues, I do not confuse that with long term reliability. I still like my Ascent and I do believe that the long term reliability will be fine and no I do not think it is a ticking time bomb.

I would not hesitate to put my family in it and drive across the US. In fact my Ascent has been to 17 states so far and for me it is a long drive to the next state.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a note of appreciation for this discussion. Have been planning on getting an Ascent for awhile, if/when my wife’s 2006 Volvo XC-70 finally dies (or my kids start driving and takeover my 13 OB), and the new CR rating certainly put a pause on that thinking. Thanks again, and keep reminding me why an Ascent isn’t an unreliable choice.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Thanks again, and keep reminding me why an Ascent isn’t an unreliable choice.
...because it isn't unreliable. Like any vehicle, some folks have some issues and there were a few things in the first model year (also expected in the industry) that had to be mitigated. Other than that, you can't go by problem threads in online forums simply because folks who have something wrong tend to speak up while the rest (majority) are out there driving around and not commenting on it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just a note of appreciation for this discussion. Have been planning on getting an Ascent for awhile, if/when my wife’s 2006 Volvo XC-70 finally dies (or my kids start driving and takeover my 13 OB), and the new CR rating certainly put a pause on that thinking. Thanks again, and keep reminding me why an Ascent isn’t an unreliable choice.
Only 2019 had significant problems being the first year of production, the 2020's were more reliable, and the 2021's should be even more reliable still. Even those owning 2019's like me have been taken care of by Subaru. It's not like you're going to get stuck with a broken car.

I would buy an Ascent again in a heartbeat. It's still the best mid-sized SUV out there in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Right! I just bought my first Subaru, yes an 2021 Ascent Touring and this article made me somewhat nervous and wondering if I made the right decision to plonk down 50K on a vehicle that according to this article is at the same level as a Yugo when it comes to reliability. Figuratively speaking.

I don’t see how a manufacturer would seemingly make a number of reliable vehicles and then completely drop the ball on one of their models.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Just ask Impreza owners of a few years back. That vehicle had multiple issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subaru quality, which has always been just decent, took a hit when sales started to grow rapidly in my opinion. The last generation or two of models had a smattering of fairly serious issues, Ascent included. Local dealers have taken a decided downturn in service quality, as they handle many more vehicles without a similar increase in service staff. Subaru Corp. has been above average in responding to issues.

Hopefully the dealer network and factory quality issues are resolved over the next year or so, and Subaru Corp. is aware, stating in spring of 2019 with a quality statement change:

We value quality above all else and respond to our customers' trust.

1. We will deliver products that can be used with confidence for a long time.
2. We will listen to customers' voices constantly and use them for products and services.
3. We will comply with laws, social norms and company rules and be trusted by customers w

·
Registered
596 Posts
The Ascent was an all new model, so it's not unexpected to have some issues, although there are likely many shared parts across some model lines. Oddly enough, with the exception of some transmission shudder issues ( which have seemed to come back after a service for the cvt a while back), and issues with the car tracking straight ( my loaner Ascents did not exhibit the same characteristics), none of the other issues I've had prevented or impacted the safe driveability of the car.
I know my experience with reliability is not the norm, but I suppose with the initial high demand outstripping supply, sometimes a few bolts or brackets don't get installed properly on some cars.
Overall, Subaru is probably a safer bet than most brands, but in the end, the only reliability statistic that matters is the one for the car in your driveway.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The Ascent was an all new model, so it's not unexpected to have some issues, although there are likely many shared parts across some model lines. Oddly enough, with the exception of some transmission shudder issues ( which have seemed to come back after a service for the cvt a while back), and issues with the car tracking straight ( my loaner Ascents did not exhibit the same characteristics), none of the other issues I've had prevented or impacted the safe driveability of the car.
I know my experience with reliability is not the norm, but I suppose with the initial high demand outstripping supply, sometimes a few bolts or brackets don't get installed properly on some cars.
Overall, Subaru is probably a safer bet than most brands, but in the end, the only reliability statistic that matters is the one for the car in your driveway.
Good points, With platform sharing (SGP) you would think first year would be better but my opinion was the Subaru had a low price point for this car and I think the quality of some parts and pieces show that . With time it has apparently tweaked some things and for the most part little issues have gone away. It's always good practice for any car to purchase it about 3-4 years into the production life span even then there is no guarantee of a failure of some sort. I would think by MY 22 Subaru should have the Ascent tuned in.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
380 Posts
In presenting results of the study to a virtual meeting of the Automotive Press Association, Jake Fisher, Senior Director Automotive Testing at Consumer Reports, attributed Mazda’s success to its aversion to overloading its vehicles with technology, noting it’s producing new vehicles without even touch screens.
The CX-9's I test drove did have touch screens. Mazda turns off the touch function when the car is moving and forces the use of the joy wheel. I actually liked this feature. Personally, I found the wheel easier to use while driving since it didn't require the amount of eye-hand coordination that touching an icon requires in a moving car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm getting super annoyed with auto manufacturers disabling everything while the car is in motion. It makes it impossible for the passenger to do anything. It has gotten so bad that even Waze connected through AA locks you out, but you just unplug the cable and you can use it just fine. What did they prevent? Nothing.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
With platform sharing (SGP) you would think first year would be better
"Platform" isn't a physical thing...its a design and process. So a new, larger vehicle, while built the same way and sharing the same characteristics, is still a brand new vehicles. Most of the early issues were not necessarily related to the "platform", either....transmission harness, is a good example and Ascent specific. So even with a shared platform, there is always increased risk for a new model first year just because of the limits of pre production testing, etc.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The 20s and 21s should be a bit better overall. My f-pace, which is a '19 (third model yr) has zero issues in over a year. My '14 MKZ (second model yr), has had one issue in 6 years. While I will definitely make an argument that any individual car is independent of the overall population, one wouldn't expect any Jaguar to be trouble-free for a year. There were also quite a few new items on the Ascent, and those were probably a little more problematic than the more time proven items shared across platforms.
Either way I think we should all be happy that despite all the electronics in the cars nowadays, they're probably about as reliable,if not more so, than they've ever been.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our 2019 Ascent Touring is our first (and, probably, last) Subaru. It was originally my wife's car, but she never felt really comfortable driving it. She found the array of electronics maddening - especially when they would intermittently fail (the HK sound system, especially). And, she found it unnerving to be alone on a highway far from home and experience an EyeSight failure. Plus, the transmission had to be replaced about 5 months after we bought it (she had never had a drivetrain failure in any of her previous cars - some of which were driven well in excess of 100,000 miles). So, she is now the proud owner of a 2020 Lexus RX 350 which cost trivially more than the Ascent. She loves it. The Ascent is now "my" car. Twice in the past 10 days, the dash has lit up like a Christmas tree after I have been on the road for some time - every conceivable warning light lights up including Check Engine. And no, neither time was it shortly after I refueled. Both times, the system reset (usually about 2 days later) before I could get it to the dealer to check it out. Had that happened to my wife when she was driving alone far from home, she would have (quite understandably) freaked out. IMHO, Subaru gave the 2019 Ascent too many new (read, "untested") electronic features. I'm just glad I purchased a 10/100/$0 extended warranty shortly after buying the Ascent. If nothing else, the transferability of the warranty should boost its (now depressed) resale value when I go to sell it. Which could be sooner rather than later.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts