·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this...
Screenshot 2020-11-20 105704.png

and then this:
Screenshot 2020-11-20 105832.png

Predicted reliability 1 out of 5 ?!? What! Thinking/Hoping their predictions a WAY off.
Perhaps the author had a beef with his 2021 Ascent and took it out in writing?

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
What baffles me is that their actual reliability scores are showing dramatic improvement, yet, Predicted Reliability went from 5 to 3 to 1. Baffling.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's hard to say until we know how the data was collected / evaluated. Is it ongoing, even for the 2019 models, where more recent data may have brought the numbers down ( didn't this also happen to the Model S)? Was there a change in methodology? They are known for a fairly formulaic process. But it does seem like a rather significant change.

... I will say that I was not part of the group of people questioned by CR, so my problematic '19 Touring was not a factor in this survey 😉.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Yeah, I am a bit baffled by that too.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
380 Posts
CR reader surveys determine the reliability score. If more unhappy owners report problems than happy owners reporting no problems, the score declines. You'd have to see the raw data to know what impacted the score. In a previous low score in the April '20 issue I seem to recall that the infotainment system dragged the score down. The part that is confusing is that the car majority of problems would have been warranty repairs and so no-cost. CR used to under-weigh a "high" rate of repair if the total cost of repairs was low. Maybe they've stopped including the cost and weigh annoyance (frequency of repair, time to repair, wait for parts etc). Can't say, I haven't taken a survey on the Ascent yet.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
CR reader surveys determine the reliability score. If more unhappy owners report problems than happy owners reporting no problems, the score declines. You'd have to see the raw data to know what impacted the score. In a previous low score in the April '20 issue I seem to recall that the infotainment system dragged the score down. The part that is confusing is that the car majority of problems would have been warranty repairs and so no-cost. CR used to under-weigh a "high" rate of repair if the total cost of repairs was low. Maybe they've stopped including the cost and weigh annoyance (frequency of repair, time to repair, wait for parts etc). Can't say, I haven't taken a survey on the Ascent yet.
But that's the thing. They published the reliability ratings, and the reliability went up considerably. So, based on owner reports, per their published not predicted but actual reliability numbers, it's odd that predicted reliability is as low as it can go.

Their ratings FAQ hasn't changed.

So, short version is, the math doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
In presenting results of the study to a virtual meeting of the Automotive Press Association, Jake Fisher, Senior Director Automotive Testing at Consumer Reports, attributed Mazda’s success to its aversion to overloading its vehicles with technology, noting it’s producing new vehicles without even touch screens.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here is why Consumer Reports is now rating the Ascent poorly on reliability:

These ratings come primarily from their surveys so it looks like a lot of Ascent owners complained about the Transmission (probably the recall on the harness, which I had, and those with replaced transmissions), the Climate System (probably the issue with the air conditioner, which I had), the Brakes (probably the warped rotors and the squeal issue, which I had), the Body Integrity/Hardware (maybe the constant squeaking, which I continue to have), Power Equipment (maybe the battery issue, which I still have), and In-car Electronics (Subaru made no favors with owners on the terrible sounding HK sound system which they sold as a premium and failed to address its poor sound). I didn't complain about anything else on the CR survey but I did complain bitterly about the HK sound system, and rightfully so.

Except for those who needed their transmissions replaced, most of this seems minor to me but apparently, enough Ascent owners complained to make it statistically relevant, so the reliability ratings took a big hit and the Ascent was removed from CR's recommended vehicle list.

This is a pity since most of this is normal for a new model year (2019) and the chart above already shows the 2020's doing significantly better. The 2021's should do better still.

Unfortunately, this may cause the Ascent's resale value to drop a bit, but if you're looking to buy an Ascent please don't let this stop you. I have a 2019 and have had a lot of the problems reported, but I still consider it an excellent and very reliable car. Subaru took care of almost everything and except for the HK sound system, I have no complaints.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Right, but generally, their predicted reliability improves with their actual reliability. They also add a non-existent 2018 redesign year to the Ascent data. It also doesn't align with NHTSA complaints, nor comparison of recalls...

·
Registered
571 Posts
FWIW my 2019 and 2020 got same rattles in same places...

and same for Forester from 19 to 20
I fixed it all on Forester but did not get to Ascent yet ...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
FWIF my 2019 and 2020 got same rattles in same places...

and same for Forester from 19 to 20
I fixed it all on Forester but did not get to Ascent yet ...
Yes, I've been chasing and fixing those rattles since I purchased the car, but haven't found them all yet. It's not easy.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Right, but generally, their predicted reliability improves with their actual reliability. They also add a non-existent 2018 redesign year to the Ascent data. It also doesn't align with NHTSA complaints, nor comparison of recalls...

View attachment 6087

View attachment 6088
I didn't see anything on any 2018 data, just 2019 and 2020 so far. What should happen is that as more data comes in and 2021 gets added, the Ascent should be rated significantly better for reliability and should return to the recommend vehicle list. This is just an anomaly caused by problems of the 2019 new model year which have now mostly been resolved. Even those owning 2019's have nothing to worry about because Subaru has effectively addressed all of the most significant issues.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
I didn't see anything on any 2018 data, just 2019 and 2020 so far. What should happen is that as more data comes in and 2021 gets added, the Ascent should be rated significantly better for reliability and should return to the recommend vehicle list. This is just an anomaly caused by problems of the 2019 new model year which have now mostly been resolved. Even those owning 2019's have nothing to worry about because Subaru has effectively addressed all of the most significant issues.
That's the problem. There isn't any. Look at the tops of each reliability section (Ascent and another brand).

ASCENT
(Fake redesign year)

PALISADE
(accurate redesign year)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
While 2018 redesign year is fake, does it somehow get incorporated into the ratings?

BTW: I have a 2019 that I love. I had the harness and some other issues dealt with under warranty. Done and done. Love it.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
There's the big unanswered question. If they are dividing by three, as speculated above, then, that'll hurt. And, by "they", I presume it's a computer program.

I have a 2019 as well... and... well, I think the whole world knows what I think about it, so, I won't get into that. 🤣 😉

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Go Mazda! They are actually very well built these days and very reliable. The build quality exceeds that of Honda and Subaru for sure. The paint quality is unmatched and the welds and seams look much cleaner.

Not the car for everyone certainly, as the CX-5 is fairly small, especially in the second row.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Go Mazda! They are actually very well built these days and very reliable. The build quality exceeds that of Honda and Subaru for sure. The paint quality is unmatched and the welds and seams look much cleaner.
I recently owned a Mazda and it was a wonderful car. That incredibly new ruby red paint they offer blows me away.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts