Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Consumer Reports Cars

We just bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent for our test program. Three-row seating, turbocharged four-cylinder engine, and standard equipment EyeSight Driver Assist Technology, which includes forward-collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane-keep assist, and adaptive cruise control…let the road trips begin!

(This is from their Facebook page)

·
Registered
646 Posts
In the initial review they knocked it for sloppy handling which I think is BS. Sure the suspension has been tuned for comfort but I think it still handles great

·
Registered
74 Posts
Consumer Reports “Talking Cars” episode 161 talked about the Ascent today. I share the same issue that Consumer Reorts raised about the steering. During my test drive the steering seemed overly responsive. At the time I thought it was something I would have to adjust too. Has anyone else had that feeling/experience? Those of you that have received your cars... what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Consumer Reports “Talking Cars” episode 161 talked about the Ascent today. I share the same issue that Consumer Reorts raised about the steering. During my test drive the steering seemed overly responsive. At the time I thought it was something I would have to adjust too. Has anyone else had that feeling/experience? Those of you that have received your cars... what are your thoughts?

Well, in less than 1 week of driving I had the "opportunity" to dodge three possums lying in the middle of the road at night. All I can say is thank goodness the Ascent was as responsive as it was.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I’ve read multiple reviews stating the steering is numb and lousy. That is easily the most consistent negative I’ve seen.
Almost all new vehicles are having Electronic steering wheel and they are super light with very less or no feedback at all. I test drove Atlas, Santa fe and Explorer and only Explorer felt like a truck...didn't like it though.
But this is one of the thing that we all going to used to it in the future as every manufacturer going to build like this.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'll be honest, I love the steering in our Ascent!

After listening to everyone complain about how "light" the steering feel was, I was getting worried since we never even sat in an Ascent before we picked ours up. But now that we've had ours for a few weeks I think the steering feel is great.

Getting back into our other car and my '02 Mustang (that sits more than drives now) it feels like our other cars' power steering is broken, lol. It seems almost difficult to steer them now, haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I 100% agree with all the criticisms of the steering being too light and too responsive. Do not confuse this with handling as the Ascent handles great on turns and such but my daily driver is a BMW so the steering is like night and day. Even the Nissan Murano we owned prior to the Ascent had a firmer feel to the steering, which I prefer. To each his own. I guess it will just take getting use to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
After listening to everyone complain about how "light" the steering feel was, I was getting worried since we never even sat in an Ascent before we picked ours up.
Similar reaction here - I was pretty concerned that it wouldn't feel weighted at all (my '13 VW Tiguan feels this way and I don't like all the help). I honestly would not have noticed it without the prior commentary. Compared to my audi A3, yes - much lighter touch, but it doesn't make my "issue" list (now the cup holders on the other hand... but that's another thread...)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also felt that way during the test drive. Today is my 7th day with our Ascent and I definitely don't feel that way any more. I suppose without driving our 2010 Outback, I've just recalibrated. I'll probably feel like our Outback is stiff - hah. I love the steering - handles so well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my Ascent for almost a week and coming from a 2013 Mazda CX9 with hydraulic rack and I find the Ascent's electric assisted steering to feel not only lighter but more direct than in the old CX9 and personally much easier for my wife. So it is a win win in my book! Happy wife, happy life!:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have always driven trucks and drive a diesel Nissan Titan XD now (heavy steering feel), so I do find the Ascent's steering to be a bit light for my tastes and driving habits - I am always getting the lane departure warning in the Ascent. However, my wife, whos car the Ascent is, likes it just fine and has no trouble keeping it on the straight and narrow.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I 100% agree with all the criticisms of the steering being too light and too responsive. Do not confuse this with handling as the Ascent handles great on turns and such but my daily driver is a BMW so the steering is like night and day. Even the Nissan Murano we owned prior to the Ascent had a firmer feel to the steering, which I prefer. To each his own. I guess it will just take getting use to.
I agree. I do wish that they did incorporate adaptive steering response like BMW does so the wheel stiffens up at higher speeds. Maybe down the road.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Remember to check your tire pressure. They should be around 33-35. A lot of folks have had their dealers only lower the post-trucking pressures to 45 which dramatically increases the light steering feel.
Our Ascent was delivered to us with 48PSI! I had to lower it to 35. Plus not such a rough ride with the right amount of PSI in the tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts