Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Hear it too?

• No, that's suspicious

• Yes, of course. This just be your first vehicle with a turbo ;)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like you mentioned it’s what you’re looking for. Ascent is more sporty but lacked in others areas of my needs. Pacifica is better on mileage, I feel because of the V-6. On our road trip last month we got between 28-31 mpg. My Ascent never got that. Would be curious to see what Subaru could do if they made a 6 cylinder for the Ascent. Also had a gas smell on restart come through the vents. Took 3 months to get that fixed and 6 months later it started to come back.
Room was another factor. With the third row it still didn’t fit my needs. Could carry people but no luggage.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
934 Posts
Like you mentioned it’s what you’re looking for. Ascent is more sporty but lacked in others areas of my needs. Pacifica is better on mileage, I feel because of the V-6. On our road trip last month we got between 28-31 mpg. My Ascent never got that. Would be curious to see what Subaru could do if they made a 6 cylinder for the Ascent. Also had a gas smell on restart come through the vents. Took 3 months to get that fixed and 6 months later it started to come back.
Room was another factor. With the third row it still didn’t fit my needs. Could carry people but no luggage.
We had an Odyssey before our Ascent and the two are nothing alike, minivans are people-movers big cars if you will, the Ascent is an awd utility vehicle with the aerodynamics of one. We got about 1 mpg better in the odyssey over the ascent and about 3-4 mpg better on long trips, but again apples to oranges. The ascent wasn't made to compete with mini-vans. And while the Odyssey had a really smooth v6 and plenty of power, the ascent is noticeably more powerful and quicker.

Subaru had a H6 in the previous 3 row suv the Tribeca, it put down around 210 HP and about the same torque, while it was smooth it doesn't hold a candle to the FA24 in the Ascent especially in regards to fuel economy and torque delivery, the FA24 is better in every way and the CVT delivers on smoothness for the most part.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
538 Posts
It seems odd that you consider the Ascent "more sporty" yet "underpowered". My next-door neighbor has a late model Pacifica and it works fine for them for trips to Costco and taking their many grandchildren to church with them.

However, we've had two substantial snow and ice storms in the last year. Their Pacifica stayed in the garage while I went wherever I wanted or needed to go. I asked the neighbor if she needed anything from the grocery store, and she said thank you, but their son was running errands for them in his Jeep CJ while the minivan stayed in the garage.

Two different cars with two different capabilities. I'm glad the Pacifica fills your bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just received our 2022 limited and it's got just over 1k miles now and ever sense we got it we can hear the turbo at all RPMs (until it's drowned out by wind and road noise).

It sounds like a locust in a summer afternoon. I'm always real gentle on the accelerator because this fuel economy is not impressive around town.

Do y'all hear it too? Concerned it's got an issue.
Wondering what makes you think it’s the turbo? I had noticed that the seat-vent fans and the rear heat/vents are a bit noisy.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
743 Posts
Wondering what makes you think it’s the turbo? I had noticed that the seat-vent fans and the rear heat/vents are a bit noisy.
Limited (which the OP had) doesn't have ve tilted seats. Yes I agree the rear HVAC is audible on high, but it sounds like air blowing, and not locusts.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts