Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Hear it too?

• No, that's suspicious

• Yes, of course. This just be your first vehicle with a turbo ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just received our 2022 limited and it's got just over 1k miles now and ever sense we got it we can hear the turbo at all RPMs (until it's drowned out by wind and road noise).

It sounds like a locust in a summer afternoon. I'm always real gentle on the accelerator because this fuel economy is not impressive around town.

Do y'all hear it too? Concerned it's got an issue.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,516 Posts
You don't give much to go by. Does it change pitch with engine rpm or road speed? I don't have the greatest hearing anymore but I don't hear prominent turbo sounds. You might have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't give much to go by. Does it change pitch with engine rpm or road speed? I don't have the greatest hearing anymore but I don't hear prominent turbo sounds. You might have a vacuum leak.
No, pitch starts pretty steady. I have not noticed a change correlated to rpm. Thanks for the response

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
Can you safely record it?

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
I will try. Guessing you don't hear it on your vehicle then?
I'm thinking that you may be hearing something else that sounds similar, but won't know without hearing it.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
I'm thinking that you may be hearing something else that sounds similar, but won't know without hearing it.
My first thought was the cvt whine when its cold. A video or something with sound would be helpful.
I can hear my turbo, but not all the time. Its more of a faint spooling noise than a locust.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
744 Posts
Agree this doesn't seem normal, something making a locust sound should probably be looked at. I think I can hear my turbo sometimes but the sound is pretty inconspicuous.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
540 Posts
Could be a leaking connection on the pressure side of the turbo system between the turbo, intercooler, and engine intake.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
59 Posts
I would think with the description of the issue, you should head to the dealer to have it checked out - especially if you just got it. I don't think I've ever heard turbo whine, but I haven't ever really pushed it hard. Then again, I'm jaded with my neighbor's Chevy Diesel spinning up and down every day, so probably don't notice the sound.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
934 Posts
I'm fairly certain a persistent post-MAF leak would cause some ECM unhappiness, personally on both of our turbo subarus I rarely hear the turbo. I often hear the feedback noise of the alternator in my legacy when using the aux input on the radio. The Ascent is dead quiet, I can't say I have ever heard it but I also don't drive with the windows down so the noise may be there just not loud enough to get into the cabin. In any case a visit to the dealer seems in order, the noise could be a bad tensioner on the belt, a CVT whine, a bad bearing on an accessory...etc.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
I have an exhaust manifold leak that the computer does not complain about. So, it's possible the computer is just adjusting and it's within operating thresholds. A tiny air leak can make big noises, as l found out.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
58 Posts
Hi, just received our 2022 limited and it's got just over 1k miles now and ever sense we got it we can hear the turbo at all RPMs (until it's drowned out by wind and road noise).

It sounds like a locust in a summer afternoon. I'm always real gentle on the accelerator because this fuel economy is not impressive around town.

Have you brought it to the dealership and had them replicate the sound?

·
Registered
2 Posts

The Ascent is under powered in my opinion. Mime got poor fuel mileage too. Got frustrated with it because of a few issues so traded it in on a new Pacifica. V-6 and better mileage. Love it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
143 Posts
The Ascent is under powered in my opinion. Mime got poor fuel mileage too. Got frustrated with it because of a few issues so traded it in on a new Pacifica. V-6 and better mileage. Love it. Good luck!
While I understand each person is different and their particular likes and dislikes are, in fact, unique ... this particular comment caught me off guard. I have driven a number of Pacificas since 2018 and this caught my attention.

I have never felt my 2020 Subaru Ascent (4,500lb curb weight) to be underpowered. Ever! In fact, I find the Ascent to be surprisingly powerful and quite fun in certain situations. But, that's not what caught my attention.

What caught my attention is the comparison to a "new" Chrysler Pacifica minivan. The new (I am going to assume 2022 or 2023) Pacifica has a 3.6L V6 producing 287HP w/ 262lft/lb torque (non-hybrid) or 260HP (hybrid). The non-hybrid weighs 4521 pounds, and the hybrid weighs 5010 pounds.

The Ascent is documented at a 0-60 of 6.9 seconds for all models.

The Pacifica is documented at a 0-60 between 7.4 - 8.3 seconds (non-hybrid) ... and 7.8 seconds for the hybrid.

I know I probably "went a little into the weeds", but needed to once the comparison was made. My main reason is that my neighbor's son is a Chrysler mechanic and I have driven at least 5 of the Pacifica models. I really like them! Heck, I own a Toyota Sienna and love some of the features the Pacifica offers (hybrid (offered before the Sienna), stowage options, price, etc.) ... but when it comes to performance, this conversation becomes comical. There is no way anyone driving an Ascent and Pacifica can call the Ascent under powered. Sorry, I have driven them.

But, does the Pacifica deliver in areas the Ascent doesn't? Yes, 100% But, that's what happens when you change model types (Mid-Size SUV versus Minivan). That's why I own a 2020 Subaru Ascent and a 2016 Toyota Sienna. Different reasons for each car. Even though the 2016 Sienna has a 3.6L V6, my Ascent is a rocketship when compared to it.

Anyway, I know you enjoy your minivan cause it's an awesome car. I know I enjoy my minivan. But, to think the performance is better in the Pacifica is better is questionable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts