Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the web and have not found anyone else with this problem. After 20 minutes of warming up the transmission it starts to make a really high pitched churning whine, similar to a hydraulic pump sound. It most prominent between 15-40mph and then chirps as I come to a stop. After about a month of this I think I'm going to have the dealer look at it. Take a listen to the linked clip.

Ascent sound clip

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I agree with @djrussell and @xydadx3 - if it's not the hangar bearing, it could be a wheel bearing, but, no, it's not normal, and it also doesn't sound like any sound the CVT makes (whether operating properly or improperly, for that matter). A pulley bearing on the accessory belt can also make that sound, but, it sounds too slow for that. I think the speed is more consistent with a hangar bearing.

Other potential causes are something stuck in a rotor or on a wheel, something rubbing against an axle, etc... but due to the "high low high low" sound of it, I'd think that's a lot less likely.

I'd be curious to find out what they find. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a 2019? I can't listen to the clip right now, but I know there's a TSB about a driveshaft bearing. It can whine at cold temperatures and ~20mph. Give it a read and see if that sounds like the issue.

Do you have a 2019? I can't listen to the clip right now, but I know there's a TSB about a driveshaft bearing. It can whine at cold temperatures and ~20mph. Give it a read and see if that sounds like the issue.

The service manager was going to go on a ride with me to listen but since I let him listen to the clip he said right away that it was the "carrier bearing" which seams to be the same as the driveshaft bearing. So when that shows up they'll replace that bearing.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Correct. The carrier bearing is the driveshaft bearing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The service manager was going to go on a ride with me to listen but since I let him listen to the clip he said right away that it was the "carrier bearing" which seams to be the same as the driveshaft bearing. So when that shows up they'll replace that bearing.
Hello,

I was wondering if your car has anymore problems now that you fixed the driveshaft bearing? I literally have the exact same sound on my car. I went to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong upon inspection. Any help would be greatly be appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if your car has anymore problems now that you fixed the driveshaft bearing? I literally have the exact same sound on my car. I went to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong upon inspection. Any help would be greatly be appreciated!

No, I have not had any other issues. Last weekend we went on a weekend road trip and traveled over 600 miles and had no issues. It seems to be all fixed. The first time I inquired about the noise too they didn't give the issue much attention. So I drove it another few weeks until the sound became more constant and predictable and that's when I took it in again. There is an updated bearing for the 2019 Ascents that have this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, I have not had any other issues. Last weekend we went on a weekend road trip and traveled over 600 miles and had no issues. It seems to be all fixed. The first time I inquired about the noise too they didn't give the issue much attention. So I drove it another few weeks until the sound became more constant and predictable and that's when I took it in again. There is an updated bearing for the 2019 Ascents that have this problem.
thank you so much! I’m bringing my car in on Friday to get it looked at. I have a Subaru 2020, so I’m not sure if it’s just the 2019 that has this problem. I’ve only driven 4K miles on it, so needless to say I’ve been very disappointed. When I called a service repair rep he didn’t have the slightest clue of what I was talking about; he even suggested that the CVT doesn’t have a drivetrain bearing.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
The CVT doesn't. The bearing is a "hangar bearing" in the middle of the two piece driveshaft. You can see it, if you look under your car, at the first third of the driveshaft that attaches your CVT to your rear differential.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The CVT doesn't. The bearing is a "hangar bearing" in the middle of the two piece driveshaft. You can see it, if you look under your car, at the first third of the driveshaft that attaches your CVT to your rear differential.
Welp, i'm the idiot then lol. I won't even pretend to be an expert with cars. Did you have the same problem Robert? So if I go in should I say "hangar bearing" instead of drivetrain bearing?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Welp, i'm the idiot then lol. I won't even pretend to be an expert with cars. Did you have the same problem Robert? So if I go in should I say "hangar bearing" instead of drivetrain bearing?
It's technically called the propeller shaft center support bearing. The TSB is 03-85-20R, but that indicates it doesn't affect the 2020.

Can you safely record what yours is doing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's technically called the propeller shaft center support bearing. The TSB is 03-85-20R, but that indicates it doesn't affect the 2020.

Can you safely record what yours is doing?
Interesting. I have it saved to my phone but it sounds EXACTLY like Mtnman's recording. The quality on his recording is way better, but the sound was so obvious that my 3 year old daughter could hear it. I didn't even notice it because I usually have music on loud. Now it's impossible to ignore and blatantly obvious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. I have it saved to my phone but it sounds EXACTLY like Mtnman's recording. The quality on his recording is way better, but the sound was so obvious that my 3 year old daughter could hear it. I didn't even notice it because I usually have music on loud. Now it's impossible to ignore and blatantly obvious.
That's so funny because my little 3 year old boy kept asking, "mom what's that sound" when it first started. Once you hear it you definitely can't unhear it. If it's the same sound then it definitely is the bearing. We had to wait 3 weeks for the part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's so funny because my little 3 year old boy kept asking, "mom what's that sound" when it first started. Once you hear it you definitely can't unhear it. If it's the same sound then it definitely is the bearing. We had to wait 3 weeks for the part.
Great kids think and hear alike :). Mtnman yours is a 2019 though right? If they fixed it for 2020, I’m concerned why mine still has the issue. They’re offering a loaner car which is nice. Hope it doesn’t take that long for part to come in though. I’ll see if I can upload a video shortly.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
It could just be the recording, but it sounds like it has a different pitch to it, which sounds like it is either a rotor shield rubbing on a rotor, a heat shield rubbing on the propeller shaft, or a bearing (eg: the propeller shaft's bearing). If you're bored, I'd start with all four rear covers/shields on the brakes, behind the rotors, and then look at the driveshaft tunnel heat shield (mine was missing a clip and drooping). Either way, I'd bring that in and recreate the conditions for them so they can hear it and fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could just be the recording, but it sounds like it has a different pitch to it, which sounds like it is either a rotor shield rubbing on a rotor, a heat shield rubbing on the propeller shaft, or a bearing (eg: the propeller shaft's bearing). If you're bored, I'd start with all four rear covers/shields on the brakes, behind the rotors, and then look at the driveshaft tunnel heat shield (mine was missing a clip and drooping). Either way, I'd bring that in and recreate the conditions for them so they can hear it and fix it.
Thanks Robert! I did bring the car in on Monday and their initial diagnostics was unremarkable. They did mention checking the heat shield and said it was fine. I have no idea whether they checked the propeller shaft or bearing. I'll definitely mention this to them in person tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great kids think and hear alike :). Mtnman yours is a 2019 though right? If they fixed it for 2020, I’m concerned why mine still has the issue. They’re offering a loaner car which is nice. Hope it doesn’t take that long for part to come in though. I’ll see if I can upload a video shortly.
Yes mine is a 2019 but it's totally possible that they were still using the same part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got back from the dealership and they notified me that my car has a "drivetrain assembly" issue. They said they noticed something like this on a recent Impreza as well. Just wanted to thank all of you for helping me out. Your clues at least gave them something to look for, so they did check the bearings etc. Apparently it's about 500-600 just for the part and should be done within a week. This is me and my wife's first Subaru. hopefully there aren't too many issues going forward. Really kind of disappointed something happened already and the car only has 4k miles on it. Fingers crossed though!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.