Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to connect our Ascent to our home network to have it check for updates and stuff. My home network is open, there is no password.

1) my home network has never shown up on the ascent's display to select it. There is gobs of signal in my garage, but the Ascent simply doesn't show my network. My phone can see my home network fine from that same location.

2) I can type in my network name. So I do this. Then pick "no password". Then the Ascent will not let me proceed until I type in a password. Which... I don't have, hence why I picked "no password".

Has anyone else connected their Ascent to an open home WiFi network? If so what was the trick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should note that my WiFi is currently able to be connected to via A, B, G, N and probably a few others. I don't have a single other device that can't see and connect to it just fine (several laptops, 4 phones some of which are old, 3 Amazon fire tablets some of several years old vintage) so I don't think it is a problem with my WiFi. Also according to both my laptop and phone, signal strength is above 75% or so while sitting inside the Ascent in my garage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I should note that my WiFi is currently able to be connected to via A, B, G, N and probably a few others. I don't have a single other device that can't see and connect to it just fine (several laptops, 4 phones some of which are old, 3 Amazon fire tablets some of several years old vintage) so I don't think it is a problem with my WiFi. Also according to both my laptop and phone, signal strength is above 75% or so while sitting inside the Ascent in my garage.
is your router a late model, dual-band type? i found that the wi-fi on the ascent uses the 5ghz band; as my amplifier in my garage is only a sigle band for 2ghz, and my network shows, but will not pass the map update info. i will be ordering a newer amplifier to correct this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is your router a late model, dual-band type? i found that the wi-fi on the ascent uses the 5ghz band; as my amplifier in my garage is only a sigle band for 2ghz, and my network shows, but will not pass the map update info. i will be ordering a newer amplifier to correct this.
Both 2.4 and 5 GHz are enabled and we have devices attached to both of those frequencies with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
I can't help you with your issue, but I will suggest to you that having an open network like that puts you at risk for things like someone "camping out" nearby and uploading/downloading things that you don't want to suddenly get prosecuted for and other unsavory things. There are people who cruise areas specifically looking for that kind of thing so they can pursue their "craft". It's certainly your right and decision to maintain things that way, but...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your concern, but it is a very reasonable risk given our remote location, heavily forested property and distance from any roads or other properties. Still, even with that I am not suggesting an open network for anyone else. To ease your mind I until recently worked in computer security, and am still in a related field and carefully monitor my network. Indeed, I will be moving closer to town in the next few months and there is no chance it will still be open then.... Which means maybe I will be able to connect it up then without issue. But then is not now.

Regardless, Subaru built in the option to connect to a open WiFi network, yet somehow requires a "password" for that network.

This seems broken, but I was hoping I just missed a setting or something? Which is why I was hoping someone else may have gotten this working and could confirm, or even if someone could try testing it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven’t found the answer (perhaps someone else here knows), but I suspect the Ascent runs on the AC wifi frequency (is the latest version vs. the others you listed). Another thought is if your wifi router has a WPS button to enable easier pairing, that may be an option.

If your router offers AC connectivity and still doesn’t connect, then I am curious as well!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, that was a good reminder to actually confirm some things.

I connected the family laptop to AC and walked out into the garage, stood by the Ascent... Signal strength about 75%.

I thought that was the case; some days I work from my front porch which is, from the view of my wireless connection, similarly situated. So I had made an assumption, lucky for me it wasn't inaccurate. :)

We have a service coming up, I am going to ask the dealer to check this. Their first network is open, do it might be a good way to check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I apologize, forgot to answer your other question: no easy pairing buttons because it is an open network. Anything can connect to it.

That does make me think that maybe I should check to see if I can see its beacons. Not at home at the moment but this afternoon maybe I will search through my logs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Also, this whole exercise may be moot. Unless things have changed, the OTA updates function is not “live” and doesn’t actually do anything. It will check for updates and tell you that there are none, even when there are (available at the dealership).

I guess I should try turning my WiFi back on to see if it’s any different now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, this whole exercise may be moot. Unless things have changed, the OTA updates function is not “live” and doesn’t actually do anything. It will check for updates and tell you that there are none, even when there are (available at the dealership).

I guess I should try turning my WiFi back on to see if it’s any different now.
Oh, lol.

I was not aware of that specifically. It would be interesting to see if that has changed now or not so I would be interested in what you find if you tried again.

Either way, open networks have no password so the initial problem is still a problem, even if this news reduced its impact to "nearly nothing". :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Oh, lol.

I was not aware of that specifically. It would be interesting to see if that has changed now or not so I would be interested in what you find if you tried again.

Either way, open networks have no password so the initial problem is still a problem, even if this news reduced its impact to "nearly nothing". :)
I just checked and no update's were "available" at this time. It continually said the same thing before I had the dealer update to Rel_U1.18.38.50. I have a Limited without the HK upgrade if that matters. I'm unsure if there actually is a newer version out there, but everything is working fine for me. The last update fixed the randomly deleting radio presets issue for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
major map software and firmware updates use the usb flashdrive; but i just had and intermediate map update try to load by wi-fi in my driveway. it was not sucessful, and messed up the nav screen which led me to investigate what was wrong. it was trying to download info for the 8 zones i had selected during original setup, but could not receive the data and so i had incomplete map info. i hope with a new dual amplifier, it will complete the update so my stuff works. nice how us end users have to figure out how the heck this stuff works. the designers are no help for sure.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also, just a suggestion that probably won't work, but perhaps it might if you put a short simple password on your wifi just to see if that will let the vehicle pair up, then remove the pw after it's connected... if it works that is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts