Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally- After weeks and weeks of going back and forth with their support. I can confirm, that using firmware labeled “28” from carplay2air, I am now running wireless CarPlay through their dongle:

At first, we updated and used other firmware. Last night they suggested downgrading to older firmare, in which they gave a link to, inserted it to a USB, plugged it in and performed update on the dongle. After update, brought it into my Ascent, and viola, 20 seconds later the prompt came up to add my phone to the dongle’s connection, and I have been running wireless CarPlay successfully!

I know some of you heads ordered same piece, and although pricey, it does work. I have 2 other dongles, one from Redmond Pir and the other is the Carlink Adapter. I have loaded the carplay2air’s firmware to both, but have not tested them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Many thanks for the review. I’m contemplating the wireless CarPlay dongle for quite some time and by now the only thing stopping me is the steep price.
During summer months it really doesn’t bother me to plug the phone. But now with winter upon us also come layers of jackets with the phone zipped in a pocket somewhere, plus gloves and then the convenience of wireless connectivity is really enticing.
I’ll probably give it a shot once I clear the Christmas mess from my credit card

·
Registered
556 Posts
Other than not having to plug the wire in, is there anything wireless CarPlay offers that Siri and other voice control apps do not?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Siri will not work through HU unless CarPlay is running through it. Voice commands without iPhone plugged into CarPlay are from the Subaru HU. [Wireless and Wired] CarPlay allows for text integration while driving, even when not stopped, map integration from Apple Maps, google maps and Waze. Easier app integration. Gaia maps, pandora (easier than on Oem HU app). Truly a hands free integration and better experience than no CarPlay.. imho

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
725 Posts
Siri will not work through HU unless CarPlay is running through it. Voice commands without iPhone plugged into CarPlay are from the Subaru HU.
Just to clarify, Siri works just fine with the HK head unit over Bluetooth with a long press of the voice command button on the steering wheel, this is not the in built voice command function. I never use Carplay or never plug in my phone over USB and use Siri all the time while driving, to read and send text messages, make calls, set reminders, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just to clarify, Siri works just fine with the HK head unit over Bluetooth with a long press of the voice command button on the steering wheel, this is not the in built voice command function. I never use Carplay or never plug in my phone over USB and use Siri all the time while driving, to read and send text messages, make calls, set reminders, etc.
Just verified this myself. Be nice if it was 100% wireless but it has enough functionality to get by with some major essentials.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really wanna do this upgrade to, but this route the audio through Bluetooth and not the lightning connector, which means that there is likely lower quality audio over the Bluetooth link

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really wanna do this upgrade to, but this route the audio through Bluetooth and not the lightning connector, which means that there is likely lower quality audio over the Bluetooth link
Not sure what you are implying. There is no lower quality audio with this setup. Please research how CarPlay works. Some people claim an audio loss, others just want to hear a loss because of bitrate, but I have been using Wireless CarPlay in my other vehicles for over 3 years, and can assure you, it is great quality.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last night they suggested downgrading to older firmware, in which they gave a link to, inserted it to a USB, plugged it in and performed update on the dongle. After update, brought it into my Ascent, and viola, 20 seconds later the prompt came up to add my phone to the dongle’s connection, and I have been running wireless CarPlay successfully!
Thanks for the review! Can you share the details of the firmware update so we don't have to work with support? I.e. link to firmware “28”, how to get it onto the device, etc. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the review! Can you share the details of the firmware update so we don't have to work with support? I.e. link to firmware “28”, how to get it onto the device, etc. Thanks again!
Update instructions:

1.Please download the firmware update file from here:

U2W_Update.img

1. Please save it as "U2W_Update.img" on a USB flash drive (Flash drive format must be FAT32).
  2. Plug the flash drive into the CPLAY2air adapter.
  3. Plug CPLAY2air to the USB power charger/wall charger for your iPhone. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or computer!!
  4. Please wait 2-3 minutes, until the the flashing light becomes solid
  5. Please unplug the adapter from the USB charger and remove the USB flash drive from the adapter.
  6. Please now plug the product into the USB port of the car.
  7. Please wait until the new window will appear on the vehicle's screen.
  8. Connect your phone to the Bluetooth network which is shown on the screen.
  9. Wait for the new interface to appear on the screen.
Very Important note: Do not attempt to connect the adapter to your computer's or laptop's USB port. These ports are made to transfer data and will just interrupt the update process and brick the device.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure what you are implying. There is no lower quality audio with this setup. Please research how CarPlay works. Some people claim an audio loss, others just want to hear a loss because of bitrate, but I have been using Wireless CarPlay in my other vehicles for over 3 years, and can assure you, it is great quality.
MFi Certified wireless CarPlay works over WiFi, not Bluetooth. So please, research how CarPlay works. This solution creates a bridge between wired CarPlay and your phone via Bluetooth, it doesn’t give you the same solution that cars that actually ship with wireless CarPlay use. If you can’t tell the difference in quality, then that’s great for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
MFi Certified wireless CarPlay works over WiFi, not Bluetooth. So please, research how CarPlay works. This solution creates a bridge between wired CarPlay and your phone via Bluetooth, it doesn’t give you the same solution that cars that actually ship with wireless CarPlay use. If you can’t tell the difference in quality, then that’s great for you.
I don't know much about this stuff. Nor do I own one of these devices :) But perhaps the FAQ on CPLAY2air's website will help:

"Our adapter has WiFi and Bluetooth hardware. It connects with Bluetooth and sends the WiFi credentials to the phone, then disconnects from the Bluetooth network. It works solely on WiFi from that point on."

Sounds like audio is sent from iphone via wifi to this device, which is then connected via cable. No bluetooth, other than to establish a connection for the first few seconds. So in the end, this is likely a pretty close approximation to the real wireless CarPlay that other cars have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know much about this stuff. Nor do I own one of these devices :) But perhaps the FAQ on CPLAY2air's website will help:

"Our adapter has WiFi and Bluetooth hardware. It connects with Bluetooth and sends the WiFi credentials to the phone, then disconnects from the Bluetooth network. It works solely on WiFi from that point on."

Sounds like audio is sent from iphone via wifi to this device, which is then connected via cable. No bluetooth, other than to establish a connection for the first few seconds. So in the end, this is likely a pretty close approximation to the real wireless CarPlay that other cars have.
Good news. So perhaps worth a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,628 Posts
That's a requirement for wireless CarPlay....same for wireless AndroidAuto. WiFi is required because of the bandwidth necessary to do what they do under those systems. The key here is that the dongle is setup to provide the handoff from BT registration to WiFi. The in-vehiicle hardware, while including both BT and WiFi can't do the handoff because it wasn't designed to do so..

Reactions: DAC
1 - 15 of 15 Posts