Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car window is full of condensation on the inside cool mornings. This is before I turn the car on. It has nothing to do with heat or air conditioning etc.
This happened most on cool mornings during late fall through early spring. My car now smells like mildew. Any one else with this issue?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've had it on other cars, and recently on my Ascent.

1) The Ascent remembers and keeps my recirc button. This took me by surprise, as other cars haven't done that for me. I now am conscious to turn that off after the skunk has passed. Having recirc on first thing in the morning will fog the windows within 60 seconds.

2) If I repeated drag in moisture (kids' wet swim bags, or snow on boots when we were up in the mountains last December) but don't air the car out, the humidity level will just keep rising and rising in there day after day. Which raises dew point, and it doesn't take much to get to a condensation point. So if it's rainy or I am shuttling wet stuff, I leave a window open in the garage overnight to keep moisture from accumulating.

If neither is familiar, maybe you've got a clogged rain drain and water has seeped in. There are some threads on that.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I know you said it has nothing to do with heat or AC, but the AC may be able to help you out. Even if the temperature is set to heat the inside, keep the AC on and that will lower the interior humidity. Check your window and door seals too in case anything is out of place and hopefully you can find the source of the moisture
https://www.allstate.com/blog/deal-foggy-windows/

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car window is full of condensation on the inside cool mornings. This is before I turn the car on. It has nothing to do with heat or air conditioning etc.
This happened most on cool mornings during late fall through early spring. My car now smells like mildew. Any one else with this issue?
Yes

·
Registered
2 Posts
First put your windows all the way down then smell the window gasket pocket you’re going to find your smell. Second gently separate the gasket with your fingers and now take another sniff, most likely the smell is stronger yet. Third look at the inner flap mine has a layer of mold across it and will turn your finger or a cloth black from mold. This is not a healthy situation aside from the bad odor it causes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.