Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Outback Premium - 17 Legacy Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live 30 minutes from the Subaru plant in Indiana. A couple of guys on our bowling team work there. One puts in engines the other transmissions. They said last week the computer chip issue is about to stop them. They are very slow and are expecting some down time in the near future. I ordered a new Ascent the last week in January and just picked it up last Saturday. I guess sold orders were sent to the front of the line before inventory orders. 5 weeks was pretty quick when they told me 6-8 weeks when we ordered.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
Can you ask your bowling buddies if that is still the case? We ordered a new Ascent 2 weeks ago and got told 12 weeks minimum. Has the plant really slowed down that much?? (ball park estimate is fine)

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
470 Posts
Looking to buy in a few months. Not sure what I should do, order now and ride it out, or just wait and see what I can get? I'm wondering if "better" deals will be harder to come be in the coming months?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
Looking to buy in a few months. Not sure what I should do, order now and ride it out, or just wait and see what I can get? I'm wondering if "better" deals will be harder to come be in the coming months?
We ordered, it was $1,000 deposit that the nice sales guy told us is fully refundable at any time if we changed our mind. We got told their is a vehicle order number for our purchase but no ETA. The fact we can cancel at any time without loosing money was the deciding factor. I'd rather chance getting the exact fully loaded vehicle I want, then wondering and settling for the lesser choice. We got told their wont be much in the way of deals until the chip problem is fixed. I'd order one now, it will be a 12 plus week wait. The only up side to the wait is, we can save up more for the down payment when it arrives.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
low dealer inventory (down 36% in March 2021 versus March 2020) = high prices

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2019 Ascent in 2018. They just chuckled when you asked about a deal. I paid MSRP. i REALLY wanted this SUV and now at 35k miles, LOVE IT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you ask your bowling buddies if that is still the case? We ordered a new Ascent 2 weeks ago and got told 12 weeks minimum. Has the plant really slowed down that much?? (ball park estimate is fine)
As a 2019 Ascent ower, just enjoy the anticipation. You will absolutely love your new Ascent. I b ought mine in 2018 and have 34k miles on it. At 25k miles I ELECTED to put Continental Cross contact tires on it. Whew, what a ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife and I considered making a few more payments on our Nissan before trading in, so we would have a bit more equity in it, but now I'm glad we decided to buy when we did. We got exactly the car we wanted a month ago (color, trim level, and options package), but today our local dealer (in Sioux Falls) has a fraction of the inventory they did then.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
new microchip plant in Phoenix area coming on line soon. I just learned this from a national mechanical contractor who will be running that part of the job. I then researched it and found this article. My hope is that SOA Indiana will be near the front of the line.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I went to my local Subaru dealer today for routine maintenance and was shocked to see that there was about 10 cars on the lot. Chip shortage they said...
Many manufacturers are storing large numbers of built cars wsiting for chips. Some domesticanufacturers are working with dealerships to store them on deslership lots and have the techs install the chips when they come in. Some manufacturers are selling cars without certain (previously standard) features that require the chips.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
813 Posts
I went to my local Subaru dealer today for routine maintenance and was shocked to see that there was about 10 cars on the lot. Chip shortage they said...
I had an oil change last week and saw the same thing, zero new car inventory - empty showroom. Also the used car lot had an Outback and a Crosstrek that's all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts