Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
good to know. do u know how many amps that outlet can handle?

No.

That draws to many AMPs. That's for a house receptacle 15A circuit minimum.
0.83 amp/100 watts.

I'd use a dedicated inverter for a compressor, or a DC compressor.

Most inverters need to be oversized to power a motor, such as what's in a compressor. So, if a compressor motor needs 500 watts, I'd plan on 750w.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
The 120v convenience outlets in most vehicles are only adequate for tiny jobs like a tablet charger, etc. They don't handle much in the amperage realm as they are tied to small inverters. So as Robert indicated, you cannot really use any kind of "real" devices with them. That said, if it was important for you to be able to power heavier draw items on 120v from the vehicle and you don't mind spending a bit of money, you can certainly get a heavier duty inverter to handle the job. Something like that may require heavy wiring directly to the battery (and the engine running) to use effectively, however, but some can work fine from a 12v auto port. It's important to understand the requirements of a particular inverter before you try to use it.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
542 Posts
I’d recommend the types that clamp on to the battery and bypass the cigarette lighter.

More power/speed. I have a Viair 88P I keep in the back storage compartment

It’s inefficient to go DC and convert to AC when you can power a pump directly from the battery posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts