Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the bird catcher...:p

Posted this on FB and IG as well, so here are the essential nuts and bolts answers that most people seem to want to know: I got the hood from compressive tuning (sounds like a local shop here in CA - see site link below). I was able to order it and do local pick up via Alex Membribes (can find and PM on IG). since I’m local, I was able to drive to pick up (fits in the back of the ascent with the 2nd and 3rd rows collapsed down).

The hood comes ready to paint or wrap and reuses all the OEM internal under hood splitter, foam padding, and hardware. It is a fully functional hood scoop and helps redirect air to the Top mount intercooler (in theory). I was able to get in on the preorder price ($1100) and was able to find a local body shop that gave me a pretty competitive price ($750 to paint and install — expect about a $2000-$2500 total price though now, depending on where u live etc..). I did not need to have to have the fenders blended as the car is relatively new and the paint formula they used was about a 95% match to begin with.

So far, it seems mounted fairly well. I have not tried highway speeds yet, so I’ll have to update again later. Seems to be fairly flush with the rest of the body, although I suppose the front hood gaps could be a smidge.

going to try to add a bunch of pics... The angled images are more for comparing the hood gap between the two sides. Posterior hood gap is near perfect. Front bumper end hood gap is a bit more noticeable in person: Pretty decent on the drivers side, slightly more obvious on the passengers side. Wonder if part of it might be due to warping from the hood prop stand? I took her on the highway today for a few minutes - no unexpected hood shaking / vibration that I could tell. Seems pretty rock solid so far. I’ve also noted that after parking, the hood is not as warm / hot to the touch as the side fenders, presumably due to the difference in materials used (i.e. OEM aluminum / metal vs. aftermarket fiberglass). Not sure if that has any long term implications or consequences.

Haven’t thought about custom tuning (yet). Might think about going to Cobb AP later, IDK. If you believe Subaru, they got rid of the hood scoop and incorporated the underhood airflow channel because that lead to a +1MPG savings in efficiency. AFAIK this is mainly a cosmetic mod... something that honestly I was kinda missing after selling the old WRX, so I personally was willing to spend the money and take a potential loss in MPG for (and let’s be honest - unless u have wide open freeway driving all the time, the Ascent simply is not the most particularly fuel efficient vehicle in its class).

Other questions - hit me up!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Don’t you know that all bolt ons, even stickers, add an automatic +25 HP to the butt dunno??? :ROFLMAO:

In reality, without a tune, the car feel the same. Weight of the hood was fairly similar to OEM actually.

oh and just FYI, the hood scoop is located about 21” behind the front edge of the hood. So yeah , I’m not sure how truly “functional” in the sense of helping to ram air into the TMIC it is. For all we know, at highway speed, it might actually serve as a pressure release valve for air that is entering in to the under hood air channel :unsure:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Is there any kind of screen in there to keep debris out? I can't seem to tell from the photos.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No screen. Compressive tuning is in the process of making a TMIC aluminum screen “Airshield” that fits over the TMIC itself.

the ones that are in their store currently though don’t fit the Ascent TMIC to my knowledge though...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,123 Posts
For all we know, at highway speed, it might actually serve as a pressure release valve for air that is entering in to the under hood air channel :unsure:
You're right. Without before and after stats on airflow and temps there's no way to know.

Glad that you're happy with WRXing your Ascent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here are the responses I received today from Alex if you are interested.

HI Chuck,

We're currently offering these hoods on a pre-order sale for $1100 plus shipping. Regular retail price will be $1350 plus shipping beginning in July when our contract ends with Compressive. Please let me know if you have any other questions and if you would like to proceed so that I can send you an online invoice to pay.

Thanks!
Alex Membribes

"I asked How much to ship to Houston Texas."

Hi Chuck,

Shipping would be approximately $200 and it can be shipped either to your home or your preferred body shop.

Alex Membribes
Alex Membribes <[email protected]>
  • Office (310) 896-2150 ext 5636

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you driven it in the rain as of yet ? Wondering how it holds up in the rain, never checked to see how the stock setup handles the water flow

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope. Sunny SoCal doesn’t get much rain from now till.... winter? But unless Subaru changed the general design of the TMIC, it should be able to handle a little rain (or snow) just fine. o_O

I mean, what happens to other models in the rain or snow with similar turbocharged TMIC engine setups like in the WRX and STI?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
Have you driven it in the rain as of yet ? Wondering how it holds up in the rain, never checked to see how the stock setup handles the water flow
Plenty of water gets into the intercooler with the factory hood as well. We drove through a pouring rain on Saturday at interstate speed, and all the bugs that were collected on the intercooler were gone after the trip. In fact, it almost seems to be a self-cleaning design.

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Come to think of it I had my hood open the other day to keep an eye on the battery/liftgate thing. I noticed the intercooler was pretty clean but didn't really think about why. Don't you have to pay extra for cooling spray on some new WRX's?
...In fact, it almost seems to be a self-cleaning design.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn’t actually lift it up myself before mounting. Seems like it is pretty close to OEM though. Maybe a couple lbs. heavier? <shrug>

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
Come to think of it I had my hood open the other day to keep an eye on the battery/liftgate thing. I noticed the intercooler was pretty clean but didn't really think about why. Don't you have to pay extra for cooling spray on some new WRX's?
If offered, I think a cooling spray on the WRX would be for a performance gain, not necessarily to keep it clean. In theory, a light spray of water should improve the efficiency of that intercooler, removing more heat from the intake air. You could, of course, activate that even in dry weather... Though I guess the scoop on those would be more effective at collecting rain water than the smooth hood on our Ascents. I think one would have to be driving fairly fast in an Ascent to get a consistent spray of water up through that upper grille opening to get into the "scoop" area.

I noticed this only by accident -- we drove it 3 hours on Saturday to my in-law's house, and I was showing my FIL the engine compartment, noting my collection of bugs on the intercooler. Then I was looking at it yesterday, trying to see if I can get to the horns from the topside to upgrade them (it looks possible), and noticed the distinct lack of bugs...the rain we drove through on I-81 on Saturday must have scoured them out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We had to get a hood replaced due to hail about a year ago and I searched all around for this but it wasn’t available yet. I would have done it in a heartbeat. Coming from 15 years of Subaru ownership, a few turbo ones and still have a GC8 STI in the garage, i just think this car needs a scoop! Not going to go out of my way for it right now though. Maybe next hail storm!

Reactions: Cannibal869
1 - 20 of 38 Posts