Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Ascent Limited for more than four months. Three days ago, on our way back from a road trip, the brake and vehicle dynamic control warning light suddenly came on while we were on the freeway. Fearing for our safety, I exited the freeway and parked the car at a gas station. I inspected the brake fluid level and it was full. I then tried to restart the car to see if the problem would go away. While pressing the brake, it felt very hard and locked. And the engine would not start! I have tried many times but the engine just would not come on. What's worse it that Eyesight system light was now on and I received the warning of Eyesight System malfunction on MySubaru app. I had to call Roadside assistance to get the car towed to a nearby Subaru dealership. But there is one more problem with towing, which is that the electronic hand brake is also locked and would not get released to free up the wheels. The car was eventually dragged on the tow truck with wheels locked. The car was on the dealer lot for more than two days now but I have not heard anything back. Called a couple times but the service department just keep giving me no answer. This is my first Subaru and my experience has not been good to say the least. I am losing confidence in the Ascent.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I have had my Ascent Limited for more than four months. Three days ago, on our way back from a road trip, the brake and vehicle dynamic control warning light suddenly came on while we were on the freeway. Fearing for our safety, I exited the freeway and parked the car at a gas station. I inspected the brake fluid level and it was full. I then tried to restart the car to see if the problem would go away. While pressing the brake, it felt very hard and locked. And the engine would not start! I have tried many times but the engine just would not come on. What's worse it that Eyesight system light was now on and I received the warning of Eyesight System malfunction on MySubaru app. I had to call Roadside assistance to get the car towed to a nearby Subaru dealership. But there is one more problem with towing, which is that the electronic hand brake is also locked and would not get released to free up the wheels. The car was eventually dragged on the tow truck with wheels locked. The car was on the dealer lot for more than two days now but I have not heard anything back. Called a couple times but the service department just keep giving me no answer. This is my first Subaru and my experience has not been good to say the least. I am losing confidence in the Ascent.
Never let the drag the vehicle. Ask them to call another truck with dollies. ReRead pages 350 and 351 of your manual to find out how to release the brake if there is a malfunction.

The only time I had anything like that happen to me is when I caught a cable in the axle of the car.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There is an electrical connector to each rear wheel e-brake actuator. It is very easy to remove. There is a chance that disconnecting this connector could have released the e-brake and the car might not have had to be dragged onto the tow truck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is an electrical connector to each rear wheel e-brake actuator. It is very easy to remove. There is a chance that disconnecting this connector could have released the e-brake and the car might not have had to be dragged onto the tow truck.
We learned in the thread on Undercarriage Pictures that the parking brake was driven by motors, not solenoids. Solenoids might release when the power is cut off, but motors would need power to release. Simply removing power, like disconnecting the battery, probably will not release the parking brake.
But hey bin- keep us informed, eh? We all hate to see a major malfunction in the same type of car we drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all- I am having a problem similar to what bin has reported. Picked up my Ascent Limited on Friday 1/4 with 10 miles on it. Left for work this morning, and stopped to fill up (71 miles on it) and after filling and restarting, had what seemed to be every warning light come on and had Eyesight shut off, but the engine did start.

I assumed I had not tightened the gas cap enough, so I checked and it was fully tightened. So I took it off, and put it back on again. Restarted the Ascent with the same issue. Turned if off, got out, locked it, unlocked it, let it sit for a few minutes and tried again with same result.

Drove to the dealership. They seemed dismayed to have an Ascent with 80ish miles on it with an issue, so they started to test, scan, etc. Three hours (and a lost day of work) later, they informed me that they had been communicating with Techlon?? (sounds like it’s Subaru’s IT department?) and Techlon thought it might be debris in the oil. So they changed the oil, let it run, and it seemed to be OK. Sent all the diagnostic scans in, but also mentioned to me that Techlon thought it could be a bad solenoid. But I was on my way, happy to have it rectified. But...

20 miles into my drive home, all the lights come back on, Eyesight turns off, and this time, the ride gets rougher. It’s now back at the dealership and they aren’t sure when I’ll have my Ascent back.

Obviously I’m quite disappointed in my Subaru experience. To complicate things, this is a fleet vehicle. I purposely chose the Ascent because of Subaru’s reputation and elected to pay more out of my pocket for the Ascent. But I felt it was work it in order to have the safety features and luxuries of the Ascent, given how much I drive. But being that it is a fleet vehicle, I doubt the dealership OR Subaru will have much motivation to resolve this quickly. I am now in a rental. A Hyundai Santa Fe that has been smoked in and is in less than stellar shape.

Not a happy camper here. And I am truly sorry that I joined this board as the bearer of bad news. I promise I will make a positive contribution to y’all....once I have anything positive to say about my Subaru.

Do any of you have any advice?

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Any update?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Any update?
Don't get too hopeful. These posts where people make an account and post a problem typically don't ever come back. Some are trolls and some probably get the problem fixed and don't ever think to come back here.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Don't get too hopeful. These posts where people make an account and post a problem typically don't ever come back. Some are trolls and some probably get the problem fixed and don't ever think to come back here.
First time posters where it is a complaint? Ignore. If the post count was higher than 10, and there was participation/helpful information in other threads, or pics, then maybe you can take them seriously.

·
Registered
118 Posts

yep, understood and when I looked the OP has never been back since the original post. Just figured I'd try... as it is a pet peeve of mine that people post a problem, sky is falling, but never come back to provide any info to the community.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
92 Posts
Probably a Honda Pilot driver :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not a troll!

I understand suspicion of those who are newly signed up and posting a complaint. But I’m not a troll. And I’m quite unhappy that I my service department would not return my calls. So I do not have an update to share other than that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I understand suspicion of those who are newly signed up and posting a complaint. But I’m not a troll. And I’m quite unhappy that I my service department would not return my calls. So I do not have an update to share other than that.

You were not the person in question. I was inquiring about the OP (original poster).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts