Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
JGC pricing already exceeds $60K at the top end and that's not changing with WL. As I noted, there's some overlap with Ascent at the lower end of JGC, but it's definitely a step up on price range. I don't believe that the price is going to curtail sales at all considering it's been selling like hotcakes for many years now with similar pricing. The MSRP of the MY12 I owned was about $53K and that was over 9 years ago. The equivalent is now about $60K. But Ascent is already at the top of many Subaru buyer's range so while there will be some cross-shopping, you would think it wouldn't be huge. But then again, look at what folks have been paying for Kias that compete with Ascent... ;)

Scooby, Trackhawk is coming for WL, but delayed until MY23. That thing is going to be a beast, even more than the "WK2" based version which kicks major hiney already. The suspension will likely be another step up from current and it will probably weigh a little less. 700 HP on the top end version and a little lighter weight will be, ummm....rocket-ship like I'm thinking. :D
My comment about pricing was more with the thought that pricing on this 3-row version would have to be a few $K more over the "regular" JGC pricing - guess that remains to be seen as well. That said - you're right, current models can get pricey as is. I think that's one thing Chrysler has done well - offer multiple variants of each model to keep the line up interesting.

Obviously not a volume seller, but a Trackhawk would be awesome! I do think that their regular V8 option will be quite nice since there aren't many V8s available in mid-range SUVs anymore. Tahoe/Yukon, Lexus GX, Sequoia are about all that come to mind and those all get quite pricey in upper trim levels.

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
Yea, I don't see the pricing slowing the sales. Freaking Yukons are going for six figures!!!
The prices do get ridiculous quickly. However I did have trouble breaking 83k building a suburban the other day online. There were just so many options to choose from that depended on getting other options or even removing some — I like how Subaru kept it simple.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2001 Forester
435 Posts
Yea, Subaru did apply the kiss method.

And it does look like it's hard to get beyond $85k for Yukon. Maybe it was the Cadi I saw for six figures.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,681 Posts
Subaru "could have" made the Ascent more expensive than they did...but it wasn't necessary and I'm glad they didn't.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not competition. Expedition/Max Tahoe/Suburban and new Grand Wagoneer are in a different class and SIGNIFICANTLY more. Grand Wagoneer is going to push 100k loaded.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Not competition. Expedition/Max Tahoe/Suburban and new Grand Wagoneer are in a different class and SIGNIFICANTLY more. Grand Wagoneer is going to push 100k loaded.
The competition is coming from Grand Cherokee-L, not Waggie...it's a new 3-row Grand Cherokee. But there's still a noticeable price difference from Ascent that will limit some of the cross-shopping as the Subaru is "more affordable".

·
Registered
664 Posts
Jeep, like Subaru, has incredibly loyal fans. Since the wagoneer is going to be priced out of most normal budgets, it'll be interesting to see how well a 3 row GC sells.

I think it will cannibalise sales a little bit from everybody, since jeep tends to attract a broad demographic, more so than many other brands.

I am not too worried about the platform it's based on, it's everything else they put on it that I would be concerned about. If I'm not mistaken I think the Turbo diesel at one point came from Italy and I don't recall that being horrifically problematic ( As an auto enthusiast in general and a fan of diesels, I haven't heard tons of complaints about it).

·
Administrator
8,872 Posts
I would be very found of multi-directional adjustable lumbar. Maybe this will prompt that addition for the Ascent.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I would be very found of multi-directional adjustable lumbar. Maybe this will prompt that addition for the Ascent.
I actually miss the more flexible adjustment of the lumbar that was on the JGC I drove prior to my Ascent. It was really nice being able to put is "on THAT spot" instead of just in and out. We all have backs that are different from the next person.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ah thanks didn’t know there was a GC-L coming out. Don’t see it as competition. FCA said they aren’t even worried about it taking sales from Durango.

I have a feeling it will be significantly more expensive than Ascent and I doubt many people will cross shop both.
Unless interior has been significantly improved i have a feeling it won’t impress many people.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yes, it will be in the next price range up from Ascent...topping out at about $60+K for top trim and additional options. But JGC is already in that price range.

Diesel isn't currently looking to be an option for WK-75 and WL74 JGCs. Folks in Australia (where diesels are desirable because of range) have already learned they will not be getting one for this next generation JGC. A hybrid will be the late add after the 2 row (WL-74) is in production for a bit.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Do you work for FCA? lol
No. But I do what Robert does for the sister forum to this one that covers Jeep. My previous vehicle was a JGC.

Reactions: Ascent19
41 - 54 of 54 Posts