Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm consistently surprised at the wide range of vehicles that are being comparison-shopped with the Ascent. When we bought our 2019 Premium this past January, we comparison shopped against the new Chevy Traverse, VW Atlas and Honda Pilot, and against the USED Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia and Ford Flex. We totally looked at this as a value-for-dollar proposition, and an Ascent with our desired content level cost about $1k more than a similar low-miles USED 3-row crossover.

Then, I see people on here comparing to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and I do a double-take and think "really?" I really don't know if I'm under-valuing the Ascent, of if a segment of people are over-expecting from it. Personally, I'd never expect our Subaru to compare favorably to a European luxury brand in NVH or passenger-coddling.

I understand the comparisons to Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford and GM -- I think of them as similarly-priced options. Folks here who are comparing Subaru to premium European brands...why?

·
Registered
944 Posts
When you go up to the Touring model (I have a Premium too) you are getting many of the features of the luxury brands (95% or so) at about 75% of the cost, plus lower maintenance, etc.

I think the biggest omission is the 360 camera view that many have. I imagine at the mid-model refresh Subaru will include one on the touring model. That will close the gap even further.

Many previous luxury owners are finding it "good enough" :D

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
I considered a Levante Trofeo AWD in Blue Emozione, but their leather just doesn't compare to my Premium cloth seats. And then is it really worth even driving something that's only 4X what the Ascent costs? Then there's the V8 vs H4. That one is a no brainer. Doing 0-60 in 3.7 seconds is important to me, but I also like to drive 0-60 more than once between repairs, so Ascent it is!

Sarcasm aside, I'm with you on the comparisons. I don't even like the thread comparing the Ascent to the Telluride. Let's not elevate their faux-luxury wanna-be AWD status.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't know about comparing an Ascent directly to luxury brands for creature comforts, but the Ascent is currently rated by Consumer Reports as the best SUV of any size, model, or brand with an overall score of 96. The best score the luxury SUVs have been able to achieve is an 88, for the BMW X5.

Before purchasing any vehicle, always check Consumer Reports. They are one of the best sources of comprehensive automotive testing in the world. Anyone not checking there before making such a large purchase is not doing their homework. There is a wealth of highly valuable, expert, unbiased information on virtually all mainstream makes and models on their website.

In comparison with the 2019 Ascent's score of 96 vs the other vehicles you mentioned, the 2019 Chevy Traverse has a score of 65, the 2019 VW Atlas has a score of 62, the 2019 Honda Pilot has a score of 74, the 2019 Ford Flex has a score of 69, and the 2019 GMC Acadia has a score of 64.

Consumer Reports is highly critical and rarely gives vehicle scores over 90. A score of 96 is highly unusual and extraordinary. Any vehicle achieving such a score in your scope and price range deserves a hard look.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think " good enough " is probably the right way to phrase it. We came from a GLS 450, and there's no comparison between the two cars, the Merc was flawless in the four and a half years we had it, but we've had constant quality issues with the ascent. Fortunately (or unfortunately for me personally), we are in the minority regarding quality issues.

It's hard to describe, but if you owned a car in the $60,000+ price range there is definitely a difference, and there should be for what you're paying. For mid forties, you can get the ascent, or any number of competitors, with a full suite of safety and near luxury features. It's a smart decision and allows most of us to sleep well at night.

Xydax3, we're looking for another car, and I did drive the Levante just the other day, although it was the s model with a luxury package, so it was about the MSRP of a Subaru Ascent Touring less expensive than the one you drove :). Your comment made me laugh when I read it.

I think that one, even without the statistics, is probably a gamble in terms of reliability. I'm sure on a Maserati forum somewhere they're lambasting CR for saying the car has low predicted reliability!!! But man, did the interior look great in two-tone, and it was a near, I'll say, euphoric experience nailing the throttle and listening to that motor do it's thing!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think " good enough " is probably the right way to phrase it. We came from a GLS 450, and there's no comparison between the two cars, the Merc was flawless in the four and a half years we had it, but we've had constant quality issues with the ascent. Fortunately (or unfortunately for me personally), we are in the minority regarding quality issues.

It's hard to describe, but if you owned a car in the $60,000+ price range there is definitely a difference, and there should be for what you're paying. For mid forties, you can get the ascent, or any number of competitors, with a full suite of safety and near luxury features. It's a smart decision and allows most of us to sleep well at night.

Xydax3, we're looking for another car, and I did drive the Levante just the other day, although it was the s model with a luxury package, so it was about the MSRP of a Subaru Ascent Touring less expensive than the one you drove :). Your comment made me laugh when I read it.

I think that one, even without the statistics, is probably a gamble in terms of reliability. I'm sure on a Maserati forum somewhere they're lambasting CR for saying the car has low predicted reliability!!! But man, did the interior look great in two-tone, and it was a near, I'll say, euphoric experience nailing the throttle and listening to that motor do it's thing!!!
I agree with you that there is a definite difference in the final products. Everything on my volvo, feels solid and well thought out, ie my wife was a bit disappointed when the sales rep told her that there was a heated steering wheel but would need to hit a button to activate it (Automatically comes on in the volvo when it senses that its cold, including the heated seats).

That said, I dont compare the two on the same level, I have much higher expectations for the volvo because I paid alot more for it. For the money, the Ascent is a great value. I would call all the extra touches on the luxury car as "nice to have" as opposed to "must have"

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yes Lumasand, I think that's a very rational conclusion. The Ascent is definitely a smart choice. But you do have to reset your expectations, not much, but a little bit, if you've come from something a little fancier. It's a great value, and although I don't think it was quite the right decision for us, I wouldn't fault anybody for going the route of the Ascent. It's great to know that for the mid-forties, you can get a car with pretty much a full load of safety and comfort features, that rivals some luxury cars from just a few years ago. And it won't break the bank when you need to repair something at 65,000 miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes Lumasand, I think that's a very rational conclusion. The Ascent is definitely a smart choice. But you do have to reset your expectations, not much, but a little bit, if you've come from something a little fancier. It's a great value, and although I don't think it was quite the right decision for us, I wouldn't fault anybody for going the route of the Ascent. It's great to know that for the mid-forties, you can get a car with pretty much a full load of safety and comfort features, that rivals some luxury cars from just a few years ago. And it won't break the bank when you need to repair something at 65,000 miles.
Costs to repair are one thing that drove us to switch. While oil changes with the Volvo were quite reasonable, any parts and repairs cost a arm and a leg. I recall looking at Mercedes and a simple oil change was about 200 dollars if I remember correctly. I do recall an article from years ago that said that Subaru had one of the lowest cost for the major service that involved the tune up/spark plugs etc. Don’t know if that still holds true

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I'm consistently surprised at the wide range of vehicles that are being comparison-shopped with the Ascent. When we bought our 2019 Premium this past January, we comparison shopped against the new Chevy Traverse, VW Atlas and Honda Pilot, and against the USED Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia and Ford Flex. We totally looked at this as a value-for-dollar proposition, and an Ascent with our desired content level cost about $1k more than a similar low-miles USED 3-row crossover.

Then, I see people on here comparing to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and I do a double-take and think "really?" I really don't know if I'm under-valuing the Ascent, of if a segment of people are over-expecting from it. Personally, I'd never expect our Subaru to compare favorably to a European luxury brand in NVH or passenger-coddling.

I understand the comparisons to Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford and GM -- I think of them as similarly-priced options. Folks here who are comparing Subaru to premium European brands...why?
this is one reason that when I shopped for my 2019 Limited I went through an auto broker. He was able to bring multiple vehicles from different manufacturers together at one time and location to view and test drive. I also happened to get a better price

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I compare Ascent to luxury brands because of its character, not its identity . Vast majority of us identify Subaru as everyday ppl car with AWD; that’s it, nothing more. In fact, the architecture of the drivetrain (AWD) is conceptually the same level or better than Audi Q5/Q7, BMW X5/X7, or Benz GL class. It’s the same level because the engine/tranny layout is longitudinal, propelling the rear wheels via differential. It’s better because the front wheels are driven by symmetrical axle shafts, connected immediately to the tranny, where other brands utilize transfercase to propel front wheels (ie not symmetrical AWD).

At the time of 2019 Ascent, the 2020 explorer didn’t roll out yet but it’s considered to be the only direct competitor in terms of the design

·
Registered
270 Posts
I considered a Levante Trofeo AWD in Blue Emozione, but their leather just doesn't compare to my Premium cloth seats. And then is it really worth even driving something that's only 4X what the Ascent costs? Then there's the V8 vs H4. That one is a no brainer. Doing 0-60 in 3.7 seconds is important to me, but I also like to drive 0-60 more than once between repairs, so Ascent it is!

Sarcasm aside, I'm with you on the comparisons. I don't even like the thread comparing the Ascent to the Telluride. Let's not elevate their faux-luxury wanna-be AWD status.
That would be the Telluride that also beat all the luxury brands in the CR rankings?

We really can't have it both ways. If we want to brag about the Ascent CR ranking (and we all do), we should also give the Telluride its props for being a close number 2. (at least for now)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just my personal experience, here. I considered both the Pilot and the Audi Q7. Why the latter? It's a very nice, highly rated car, and we could handle the purchase price if we really wanted to do so.

What I didn't want is the additional yearly property tax I'd have to pay. (The Ascent is bad enough on that score.) And of course, I'm a fan of the Subaru engine and drive train from previous experience. To me, that is the comparison. The Ascent is luxury-ish at a lower cost and with the guts of a Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
That would be the Telluride that also beat all the luxury brands in the CR rankings?

We really can't have it both ways. If we want to brag about the Ascent CR ranking (and we all do), we should also give the Telluride its props for being a close number 2. (at least for now)
I’m saddened by the fact that telluride is number 2 and hate that it’s so closely compared to the Ascent. It’ll probably hurt the sense of value in the long run because we all know how kias hold value...
On another unrelated note has anyone seen the rear end of the new explorers? They look like the original extended Chevy trailblazers. ?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Just curious, why so little love for the Telluride (not looking to argue, just curious.... my whipping post cars, as you probably know, are the Dodge Journey and dark blue Volvo xc90).

·
Registered
270 Posts
"The Palisade looks poised to give the current crop of three-row midsized SUVs a serious run for the money." says CR in their June early review. CR rates the Hyundai brand better than Kia for reliability. If the Palisade matches the Telluride in other categories, I'd not be surprised to see it rated higher than the Ascent when the next rankings come out. Next year, it could be them giving us props for being #2.

I'm Subaru loyal for 13 years now. But I'm willing to give credit to Hyundai/Kia for also creating vehicles that (according to CR) match or exceed the luxury brands. Good for them.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
831 Posts
A few days ago, I watched a video review of the Palisade, and I honestly have to say that nothing about that vehicle appeals to me. The styling outside and inside look to me like something designed in Russia in the '80s for a What Will Suvs Look Like In 2020 contest. Quilted seat material! Come on.

The Kia looks much better to me, maybe trying a bit too hard to look tough.

I'm sure they will sell well to loyal customers looking to upsize so good for them.

Reactions: xydadx3
1 - 20 of 27 Posts