Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the car stays garage overnight...but I start up in the morning and let it warm for about 30 secs before I drive off...
As soon as I drive out, I have a 6% grade to climb....as I am in break in period...I try to keep the rpm around 2500 or so when cold. During this phase, when the climb begins I see the RPM vary between 2200-2500 sometimes multiple times...
So it starts at 2200...goes up to 2500 and then drops back to 2200 and does this a few times....I dont vary the gas or anything, the car does it on its own. I will try to record a video when I have a passenger and post it...
Is this normal behavior? Or is it me trying to be overly gentle and causing this :D?
Havent observed this yet on my way back when the engine is normally warmed up...
Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Your drive conditions mirror mine. Start up soon as I get in, then I put on my seat belt, plug in my phone, open garage door, so the car has a chance to run through it's boot-up on any computers and bring oil to full circulation before putting the tranny into reverse. My climb I do from near zero to 55 to 60 mph and I do not baby it. My thoughts are; the load is there for shorter duration to get up to speed than it is to gradually accelerate. My fuel mileage bears that out as well. When slowly increasing speed, my car says my mpg isn't as good as when I make quick work of getting up to speed and holding it. Once there, I kick on ACC (auto cruise control) and the tach doesn't move much.
I recommend using your ACC to see if rpm's still vary compared to your own foot on the throttle. I'm now at 2500+ on the odometer and getting very good mileage; 22 combined and 27 freeway.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Yes, that behavior is common on certain sloped routes at lower speeds. The new TCM and ECU updates may or may not change that behavior...I'll personally know after the 27th when I'm scheduled for the recalls as the route I take to delivery my older daughter to work includes a street that's a relatively brisk grade at 25 mph speed limit. It's generally the only place I have the behavior and most often, my Ascent is not yet fully warmed up by the time I get there.

Reactions: vitenite

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! my car is 3 weeks old...so I guess I should have the updates already...if so, the updates wouldnt make a difference here...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.